• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Turbo Charged 4.0L BII Build

86freebie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
the real question is. is it the boost, or is it the energizer bunny?:shok:

nate12346

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Cool!

Do you have the turbo connected to just the driver's side exhaust?

What kind of HP gain do you see with 5-psi? It would be interesting to see a dyno sheet.

Looks good man!
No he has the passenger side exhaust flipped also and it goes in front of the radiator and under the turbo and connects to the driver side pipe from below

turbo cat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
exploder
Engine Size
4.0ohv turbocharged
Transmission
Manual
Both oem manifolds are flipped

and the hotside runs in front of the radiator as you can see in this video

I haven't dyno'd it yet. The ecu is completely stock and the only fuel system adjustment so far is 30# injectors. After i get the new heads installed "someday" I plan to convert to megasquirt II, build a good fuel system, and then go from there. The boost comes on wicked fast due to the 48ar exhaust housing and dosent fall off up top.

So nate did you get a pump yet?

Last edited:

nate12346

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The Pump came in! But now i have a problem. i dont think i can use his (old friend) plasma cutter and welder..... He had every tool you can think of. I think I am going to run down to a family owned Exhaust store and get my intake and exhaust bent to fit.... I didnt want to do it this way cuz the bends make the diameter of the tube smaller ie. Back pressure and Pressure High spots on the intake... Again it is for LOW pressure so it should be OK for my App. but not ideal

Darn :(

turbo cat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
exploder
Engine Size
4.0ohv turbocharged
Transmission
Manual
You can used crush bent pipe for a turbo setup. mandrel bent is just better. most shops use compression benders anyways. Very few shops run mandrel benders as the bender itself costs $$$$$$$$$$$$$. Velocity will just be down. All my pipe was dug (with permission from owner) out of an exhaust shop's scrap bin. Also you can get mandrel bends and cut them how you need them from these guys.....http://store.racing-solutions.org/

oh and one more tip is when you get to fitting the turbo flange on the exhaust, i take a hammer to the pipe to square the pipe so it can be slid into the flange then weld up the outside...

nate12346

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You can used crush bent pipe for a turbo setup. mandrel bent is just better. most shops use compression benders anyways. Very few shops run mandrel benders as the bender itself costs $$$$$$$$$$$$$. Velocity will just be down. All my pipe was dug (with permission from owner) out of an exhaust shop's scrap bin. Also you can get mandrel bends and cut them how you need them from these guys.....http://store.racing-solutions.org/

oh and one more tip is when you get to fitting the turbo flange on the exhaust, i take a hammer to the pipe to square the pipe so it can be slid into the flange then weld up the outside...
My flanges are round so i dont need to hit them with a hammer lol. I know mandrel bent is best, but like you said its $$$$$$$.... Im gonna run down to the exhaust shop and see if i could go through their scraps for mandrel bent stuff. I need to make a custom Y pipe also.

As school draws closer, I dont think I will be able to finish the project now because of people falling through.... :sad:
If i cant finish it now, it will be finished over thanksgiving break

turbo cat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
exploder
Engine Size
4.0ohv turbocharged
Transmission
Manual
oh thats right you have the little mitsu. Well hang in there youll get it done soon or later... No need to rush it

nate12346

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
oh thats right you have the little mitsu. Well hang in there youll get it done soon or later... No need to rush it
Yup!.... I just really wanted to get it done to show off up on campus lol. Do a lil "Mall Crawlin." Oh well I guess a Strait piped 4.0L Lifted BII is enough of a head turner for now:tease:

Anywho I got my flanges made for the exhaust... They turned out a LOT better than I expected, being cut by a torch.
Ill post some pics tonight

burningRANGERtires

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Yup!.... I just really wanted to get it done to show off up on campus lol. Do a lil "Mall Crawlin." Oh well I guess a Strait piped 4.0L Lifted BII is enough of a head turner for now:tease:

Anywho I got my flanges made for the exhaust... They turned out a LOT better than I expected, being cut by a torch.
Ill post some pics tonight
doin it for the chicks right ;)

awaits for pics..

lil red

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
why would he turbo charge it if it wasnt for the chicks, everyone knows a turbo whine is a serious pantie dropper(as proven be countless H*%&as),its just more fun in a truck

and on a more serious note
dude,nate, you gotta change that sig, the dane cook part
every time i see it i laugh, no matter how many times i see it it still cracks me up(and its doing so as i type),it is really good though

nate12346

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Hey guys sorry for the lag in posting. I had to pack all my stuff up for school. And I just bought 400 Bones worth of textbooks...OUCH lol. Anywho my bro took the digital camera camping and he got back tonight, so I'll get the pics up in the morning. :)

burningRANGERtires

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
so im guessing this thread is over cause you went away for college... :( never saw the pics..

nate12346

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
No no no lol.... Not over... POSTPONED till November :)

Im pissed though because no one keeps to their word. I would be cruisin in my turbo charged bronco II....

It would have been nice to have goin up 2 mountain passes.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals