• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Turbo Charged 4.0L BII Build

CopyKat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I'd have done it by now myself but I can't justify it on a 4x4 offroad rig. If i had a street 2wd lowered B2 with a 4.0L then I surely would. but a 2.3T would be better suited for 18+ psi of fun.

BTW you know we got a B2 section now!

crawlin91

OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
:sad:I want one.:drool:
Nice to see another Colorado member. We will have to hit the trail when I get my lift and axles on.

burningRANGERtires

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I'd have done it by now myself but I can't justify it on a 4x4 offroad rig. If i had a street 2wd lowered B2 with a 4.0L then I surely would. but a 2.3T would be better suited for 18+ psi of fun.

BTW you know we got a B2 section now!
well i have my 2wd lifted for some desert prerunning.. and im pretty sure that turboing it will make it alot more the fun..

stegomon

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987/1990
Make / Model
fords and only
Transmission
Manual
any updates?

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
It's past November now. Updates!

nate12346

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well I have some bad bad news....
I was crawling around in a empty house lot last weekend and rolled my truck!...
Mechanically it is perfect. I busted out all the windows except the front windshield and driver side window. With a bunch of body damage. The roof held up a lot better than i thought.

So my Christmas break is going to consist of chopping my top and replacing doors/fenders...... instead of finishing the turbo :(

RacinNdrummin

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
An intercooler is used to stop detonation. It nets you no power. A 5-psi system with an intercooler will produce the same power as a 5-psi system without an intercooler. Now, if you wanted to dial up to 10-psi and experienced detonation, you'd install an intercooler. The intercooler would keep the air being forced into the cylinder cool, and therefore decrease the likelyhood of early detonation.

Cooling the air between the turbo and the engine still yields the same amount of air.

From Superchargersonline: "Essentially, run an intercooler when only when running peak boost (i.e. any more boost would cause detonation) for the octane of fuel you use."
This is just simply wrong.

5-psi of boost at 300* is far less air than 5-psi at 100*.

Less air= Less fuel= Less power.

So even at 5-psi, an intercooler will make more power on any given engine.

And regardless of how restrictive the IC is, if your WG is referenced at the intake, and your getting the boost levels your after at the intake, it doesnt matter how restrictive the IC is, what you need to be concerned about is IC efficiency, and how much it can lower your intake temp.

turbo cat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
exploder
Engine Size
4.0ohv turbocharged
Transmission
Manual
depending on the setup you IATs woulnt be that high on only 5 psi. This is why a intercooler isnt truly necesary. The other issue is a intercooler will slow response depending on how restrictive the intercooler is (theres many different designs. cooler air does=denser air. It all depends on how badly the compressor is heating the air charge. Another method of intercooling can be running E85 which has abotu a 105 octane and has intercooling abilities.

RacinNdrummin

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
How am I missing the point? Your obviously missing the point and have no idea how turbocharging works.

I just explained it as bare bones as can be.

5psi non-intercooled air, is less air, than 5psi intercooled air.

Less Air= Less Power.

Now, how much less is the real question, but I gaurantee it will be less.

88ranger2.95sp

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
5psi non-intercooled air, is less air, than 5psi intercooled air.
Umm.. since when does the intercooler add air to the system? Does a radiator add coolant to the system? Capacity, but not pressure.

Rob

turbo cat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
exploder
Engine Size
4.0ohv turbocharged
Transmission
Manual
It dosent add air the air is denser. Coolar air =denser air. The collder the Air charge more power can be built from the same amount of pressure. it often depends on the compressor/turbocharger design on how much the compressing will heat the air charge. On cold days my 4.0 comsumin 5 psi is just fine but on 90+ degree days it does get heat soaked and performance falls off a little. If the IAts are too high it can also cause detonation and elevated EGTs. There are also other meotods of intercooling like meth injecton and E85 can be used as a intercooling agent. The fuel has high octance and is cold to the touch.

Last edited:

RacinNdrummin

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Umm.. since when does the intercooler add air to the system? Does a radiator add coolant to the system? Capacity, but not pressure.

Rob

When you cool air, it makes the air more dense. How do you make air more dense (i.e. Volume stays the same, but mass increases) without adding more air? You are packing more air molecules into the same amount of space.

Water is a liquid and cant be compressed, like a gas, therefore your radiator analogy is wrong. Plus liquids arent as sensitive to temp changes as gases are.

Last edited:

RacinNdrummin

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It dosent add air the air is denser. Coolar air =denser air. The collder the Air charge more power can be built from the same amount of pressure. it often depends on the compressor/turbocharger design on how much the compressing will heat the air charge. On cold days my 4.0 comsumin 5 psi is just fine but on 90+ degree days it does get heat soaked and performance falls off a little. If the IAts are too high it can also cause detonation and elevated EGTs. There are also other meotods of intercooling like meth injecton and E85 can be used as a intercooling agent. The fuel has high octance and is cold to the touch.
Yes but even E85 and other fuels with low evaporation temps can benefit from intercooling even further.

And yes you are right it does have a lot to do with compressor efficiency, but it also has a lot with how well your compressor is matched with the pumping characteristics of the engine as well.

Last edited:

turbo cat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
exploder
Engine Size
4.0ohv turbocharged
Transmission
Manual
From wikapedia

An intercooler, or charge air cooler, is an air-to-air or air-to-liquid heat exchange device used on turbocharged and supercharged (forced induction) internal combustion engines to improve their volumetric efficiency by increasing intake air charge density through isochoric cooling. A decrease in air intake temperature provides a denser intake charge to the engine and allows more air and fuel to be combusted per engine cycle, increasing the output of the engine.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals