• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Turbo Charged 4.0L BII Build

multiranger

Praise the Lowerd!
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Tempting!!! Would love to see some updates

bmonee5

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
man i wish i had the know how of putting a turbo on my 4L OHV. Too bad my engine is bone stock and i have no idea what i'm doing. Cool thread want to hear some updates and pictures!

WesZone

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
The injectors will be good to replace as your HP is prob about 145hp stock and prob running 15-18lb now and kill your engine to destination with a turbo of any size if a hose pops off and you get to 15psi. I have a 91 DSM Laser turbo and so not shore what your set up looks like for hp or stock injectors, but I think you could run 24-28LB better, I would note that the Cyclone ran 28LB injects with a 4.3L and I think factory set to 11-12lbs psi. As a ruff general rule is to double the inject size for double the hp but with a proper fuel management system. As far as turbo lag, that turbo will spool instantly up close but the further down you go the lag will be there I think a better turbo would be a T3 turbo with just a oil cooler line not oil and coolant fed something like a GT35 would do nicely, bigger lets the outlet cool you better a cooler turbo is a cooler air temp and will keep you from over heating you intake. You prob dont want your turbo under your feet as that will heat the car floor. I would run it under the hood or under the bed oposet side to the gas tank some place you can build a aditional mount fro the wieght of the turbo aswell to add to off roading without bustin boots and loosing your setup, this will lag a bit more no need for an intercooler the piping will be the cooler back that far. What will you use for a computer / fuel management system?

WesZone

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Oh I would also note that if you look at what other factory setups are like that may be comparable you can see what reliable looks like, for instance what turbo does the twin turbo for the new f150 3.7L use very small but twin, less displacement but that turbo come on right away under the hood in 2.5 sec. maybe it would be interesting to use the stock factory turbo's from a f150 or do a swap at some point most of us with Rangers are thinking 5.0L swap and I'm in the same boat but what if the right choice is 3.7l TT swap. hmmmmm Well anyway your building this set up I would go with the GT35R for cheap ebay performance the T3 offers the most popular parts for an easy fitment build, after all you want power not problems.... you don't want to get too much in to fabrication and a T3 setup will allow proper exhaust exit to not over heat anything.

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Oh I would also note that if you look at what other factory setups are like that may be comparable you can see what reliable looks like, for instance what turbo does the twin turbo for the new f150 3.7L use very small but twin, less displacement but that turbo come on right away under the hood in 2.5 sec. maybe it would be interesting to use the stock factory turbo's from a f150 or do a swap at some point most of us with Rangers are thinking 5.0L swap and I'm in the same boat but what if the right choice is 3.7l TT swap. hmmmmm Well anyway your building this set up I would go with the GT35R for cheap ebay performance the T3 offers the most popular parts for an easy fitment build, after all you want power not problems.... you don't want to get too much in to fabrication and a T3 setup will allow proper exhaust exit to not over heat anything.
This thread is from 2009 and the original poster hasn't been here since 2011

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
We get new members this way though... I noticed quite a few people stumble upon old threads and reply unknowingly but then end up posting more.

I use to make fun the people digging up graveyard posts but eh, seems to get people here. :dunno:

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
We get new members this way though... I noticed quite a few people stumble upon old threads and reply unknowingly but then end up posting more.

I use to make fun the people digging up graveyard posts but eh, seems to get people here. :dunno:
I agree. It might be nice to let the new know how old the thread is but it does bring in new blood and points of view. When we had that fresh of spammers a few years ago I saw lots of interesting threads I would never have seen otherwise.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals