• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Turbo Charged 4.0L BII Build

nate12346

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
WELP... It has been itchin in me for TOOOO long! I am Turbo Charging my 4.0!
I picked up a small Turbo today that should fit very nice for a small amount of boost with a VERY quick spool around 2k RPM. My budget is VERY low but i have the tools and resources to get her done properly.

Ill post up some pics of the turbo break-down tomorrow. Im gonna rebuild it because it has a little bit of shaft play.

This is what I plan on doin:
Rebuild turbo
New Head Gasket (just in case)
Build a custom Snorkel intake
New custom exhaust from the headers back.
Clean out my engine bay...All the stuff that isnt being used. AC components mostly to make room for the intake.

I AM SUPER STOKED TO FINALLY GET THIS GOIN!
Planning on having it done by the end of August

nate12346

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
OK so i cant wait to get some pics up... Here are a few of the turbo:

Crashtest84

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
hmm a lil 13b off a mitsu should work pretty good I guess.....you might have been better off going with a bigger turbo and just keep the boost turned down. Do you know where you are goin to mount the turbo yet? Are you going to run and intercooler? What will you be useing for fuel management and all that. I would also suggest looking into a meth injection kit to keep you intake temps down

Oh and if you want to twin turbo it I have another turbo just like your sitting here collecting dust

Last edited:

stegomon

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987/1990
Make / Model
fords and only
Transmission
Manual
dude sweet...that should be fun...how much you think you may gain?

nate12346

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
hmm a lil 13b off a mitsu should work pretty good I guess.....you might have been better off going with a bigger turbo and just keep the boost turned down. Do you know where you are goin to mount the turbo yet? Are you going to run and intercooler? What will you be useing for fuel management and all that. I would also suggest looking into a meth injection kit to keep you intake temps down

Oh and if you want to twin turbo it I have another turbo just like your sitting here collecting dust
Yeah a bigger turbo would have been better, but i got a steal of a deal on the turbo. 20 bones... cuz the guy had it sitting for a similar project and just wanted it gone. I only plan on running 5 PSI daily and 10 when I feel i need to whip up on some ricers.

The 4.0 already has a forged lower end so im good there. the pistons from what i know should hold up to 20 psi before breaking parts.

I am mounting the turbo at the Y Pipe down low. I have to get me a scavenge pump and I might make a separate oil reservoir so i can run synthetic oil.

No intercooler as of now... I might find me a small VW intercooler later on if i feel it needs it at that low PSI

As for fuel management, the only thing i plan on doing is upgrading to 30# injectors or 5.0L injectors (i don't know if they will fit)

And thanks I'll look into the meth injection

How much for your turbo?

dude sweet...that should be fun...how much you think you may gain?
Im gonna try and aim to get around 250 HP

nate12346

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Just a quick update: Im stuck for the next couple of days.
I had to order the rebuild kit... I think I might start drawin out my Snorkel intake.

PaleBlue90

Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
2.3,2.9 and 4.0
Transmission
Manual
oh dude im lookin forward to this build!

AgPete139

09/2014 OTOTM Winner
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
~9"
Tire Size
35"x12.50"x17"
BOV, wastegates, turbo timers, air:fuel & boost gauges? The whole shabang, or what? You definitely need to get a good set of monitors for your new vitals and a good way to manage intake and exhaust gas temps. Not many builds with turbos on the 4.0L around here, just the 2.3L. How many mm wide is the inlet and the outlet? Are you going to stick with the same 9.0:1 compression (assuming you swapped a OHV 2000/older motor instead of the SOHC)? If you're familiar with Supras, I've done two 1JZ and one 2JZ swaps with single & twin turbos in the last 4 months, and it can be a PITA. I think an average air:air intercooler would be fine for your app, as the turbo can get substantially hot and conduct over to the compression side even with the oil running through the turbo. I am wondering how you'll adjust the timing with the DIS. Are you going to go with a piggyback system with the wiring harness/ECU?

I'm really curious where you are going to route the stuff, cuz it's pretty cramped in our bays as it is.

Good luck, man. Really excited to see your progress. Keep us updated...we're all picture mongers. *wink* Hopefully we can answer any quesitons you may encounter along the way! ::thumby:

Pete

nate12346

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Update for today....
I got the turbo taken apart

Thanks to the help from this

The components look like they are in decent shape, but I am glad to be rebuilding it just in case...

nate12346

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
oh dude im lookin forward to this build!
Thanks Man! Im excited to see how it turns out lol :3gears:

BOV, wastegates, turbo timers, air:fuel & boost gauges? The whole shabang, or what? You definitely need to get a good set of monitors for your new vitals and a good way to manage intake and exhaust gas temps. Not many builds with turbos on the 4.0L around here, just the 2.3L. How many mm wide is the inlet and the outlet? Are you going to stick with the same 9.0:1 compression (assuming you swapped a OHV 2000/older motor instead of the SOHC)? If you're familiar with Supras, I've done two 1JZ and one 2JZ swaps with single & twin turbos in the last 4 months, and it can be a PITA. I think an average air:air intercooler would be fine for your app, as the turbo can get substantially hot and conduct over to the compression side even with the oil running through the turbo. I am wondering how you'll adjust the timing with the DIS. Are you going to go with a piggyback system with the wiring harness/ECU?

I'm really curious where you are going to route the stuff, cuz it's pretty cramped in our bays as it is.

Good luck, man. Really excited to see your progress. Keep us updated...we're all picture mongers. *wink* Hopefully we can answer any quesitons you may encounter along the way! ::thumby:

Pete
Yes Eventually I will have the whole shindig haha, but as for now I plan on just a simple set-up... BOV, intercooler, and Boost Gauge. Once I get a source of income I will get the whole computer monitor with "digital" Gauges that i can cycle through.

I am going to leave the stock compression ratio for now but if i run into problems, I will fix it LATER haha

Yeah I really havent seen or heard of a Turbocharged BII with a 4.0 lol so i thought what the heck. My motto is "Because I can" when anyone asks why:tease:.

Routing everything should be a fun maze of piping haha. I have a general idea of what it is goin to look like. I should be picking up all the piping/flanges by next week. Im not piecing anything together. It's all going to be one piece custom bent. One exhaust piece, One intake piece and so on...

blackbronc

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
89 BII retired
Make / Model
91 Xplodr Sport
Transmission
Manual
I'm more curious how long the heads/gaskets will take the abuse. Because you can doesn't always mean you should. Good luck!

nate12346

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'm more curious how long the heads/gaskets will take the abuse. Because you can doesn't always mean you should. Good luck!
We shall see! But I am replacing them with new ones before the turbo goes on

oatmealman

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
jeep yj 14b rea
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic

Dude a td04 will be perfect and will drop power off right around 4.5k or so.No a bigger turbo with low boost would create horrible lag and lag on trucks is horrible.A intercooler is only needed for 7psi or more on most applications.If you want more horsepower a intercooler is the way to go but you should be fine without one for 7psi or so.Meth injection? He's not running 45psi here,meth injection is only required under extreme boost conditions where an intercooler isn't enough and the engine is detonating.Go to a junkyard and find an old sidemount intercooler and run that for now,and don't worry about a tdo4 will be fine for 10-15psi if you really want to run that much.

Last edited:

nate12346

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Dude a td04 will be perfect and will drop power off right around 4.5k or so.No a bigger turbo with low boost would create horrible lag and lag on trucks is horrible.A intercooler is only needed for 7psi or more on most applications.If you want more horsepower a intercooler is the way to go but you should be fine without one for 7psi or so.Meth injection? He's not running 45psi here,meth injection is only required under extreme boost conditions where an intercooler isn't enough and the engine is detonating.Go to a junkward and find an old sidemount intercooler and run that for now,and don't worry about a tdo4 will be fine for 10-15psi if you really want to run that much.
Thanks for backin me up! haha Im going to be runnin 5-7 PSI daily. The td04 should hit 5-7 PSI just before 2K RPM and when I am in 4low crawlin up stuff, It will be perfect. The only thing I am worried about is excessive back pressure in the exhaust. The exhaust inlet and outlet are the exact size of my exhaust pipes now (reason why I chose the turbo) Im assuming it will be fine.

oatmealman

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
jeep yj 14b rea
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for backin me up! haha Im going to be runnin 5-7 PSI daily. The td04 should hit 5-7 PSI just before 2K RPM and when I am in 4low crawlin up stuff, It will be perfect. The only thing I am worried about is excessive back pressure in the exhaust. The exhaust inlet and outlet are the exact size of my exhaust pipes now (reason why I chose the turbo) Im assuming it will be fine.
5-7 psi should be fine without an intercooler but make sure to get a damn good tune,I personally would recommend an intercooler but it's not required.Don't be worried about backpressure.For that low of boost it should only require 2 1/2 inch for getting the most power.2 1/4 will be fine if that's what you have.As to upgrading to 30# injectors I don't believe it will be required.To find out get a engine management and take it to a dyno shop,have them see what your injector duty cycle is at WOT.You should be fine up to 12psi on stock injectors with a good tune and premium.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals