• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Turbo Charged 4.0L BII Build

burningRANGERtires

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
wow.. literally join trs because of this forum.

im actually doing the exact same thing. on an 01 ranger 4.0 with the remote mount.. just saw something that bugged me so i wanted to ask. im running an t3 turbo from an skyline gts-t that is internally wastegated and looking at your turbo you are also internally wwastegated. why did you get a external wastegate? you planning on welding the internal one shut?

also i dont know if the scavenger pump is necessary on the ranger/bronco. your not going need alot of pressure to oil cool your turbo. there is a remote mounted turbo q45 on the net that didnt use a oil pump because with it, it would cause problems. i was planning on running my turbo without one first and seeing if it was necessary.

but ya, looks awesome.. hopefully i can get off my lazy ass and finish my turbo, just need to get my turbo flange mounted onto some piping and do the plumbing job.

nate12346

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
wow.. literally join trs because of this forum.

im actually doing the exact same thing. on an 01 ranger 4.0 with the remote mount.. just saw something that bugged me so i wanted to ask. im running an t3 turbo from an skyline gts-t that is internally wastegated and looking at your turbo you are also internally wwastegated. why did you get a external wastegate? you planning on welding the internal one shut?

also i dont know if the scavenger pump is necessary on the ranger/bronco. your not going need alot of pressure to oil cool your turbo. there is a remote mounted turbo q45 on the net that didnt use a oil pump because with it, it would cause problems. i was planning on running my turbo without one first and seeing if it was necessary.

but ya, looks awesome.. hopefully i can get off my lazy ass and finish my turbo, just need to get my turbo flange mounted onto some piping and do the plumbing job.
Sweet man! Well Welcome to TRS!:thefinger:

Anyways As to your question on the internal wastegate..... The internal has a 12psi spring in it. It is not adjustable. I only want to run between 5-7 psi
A boost controller wont work because they are made if I want to run more than 12psi in my case. Nothing will open it before 12psi. The external wastegate I got is adjustable from 4-9psi. I will keep the internal on which will always stay shut and as a fail safe I will connect it with the external just in case the external fails and wont blow my engine.

About the scavenge pump. My turbo is water cooled (which im not goin to use for now) and oil lubed for the floater bearings. I am doing this whole build keeping in mind that I might want to take it off (I hope not lol). So I don't want to make anything permanent. I am tapping into the Oil Pressure sensor to send the oil to the turbo. BUT im dumping the oil back into the engine by the oil fill tube which is much higher than where it is coming from so the scavenge pump is there to push it up into the oil fill. Usually you tap the oil pan or a little above the oil pan on the block to send it back.....

nate12346

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I got my wastegate!

Today I built the pressurized side of the intake. That is as far as i can go till i get to a welder :) hopefully this weekend

93240sx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford,ford,nissa
Engine Size
2.3 ,4.0 ,2.5
Transmission
Manual
are you goin to balance that turbo?

burningRANGERtires

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Sweet man! Well Welcome to TRS!:thefinger:

Anyways As to your question on the internal wastegate..... The internal has a 12psi spring in it. It is not adjustable. I only want to run between 5-7 psi
A boost controller wont work because they are made if I want to run more than 12psi in my case. Nothing will open it before 12psi. The external wastegate I got is adjustable from 4-9psi. I will keep the internal on which will always stay shut and as a fail safe I will connect it with the external just in case the external fails and wont blow my engine.

About the scavenge pump. My turbo is water cooled (which im not goin to use for now) and oil lubed for the floater bearings. I am doing this whole build keeping in mind that I might want to take it off (I hope not lol). So I don't want to make anything permanent. I am tapping into the Oil Pressure sensor to send the oil to the turbo. BUT im dumping the oil back into the engine by the oil fill tube which is much higher than where it is coming from so the scavenge pump is there to push it up into the oil fill. Usually you tap the oil pan or a little above the oil pan on the block to send it back.....

fail safe is a good idea.. i don't know why i didnt think of that.. maybe good idea for me to do too. probably gonna steal the oil fill tube idea. ;) maybe it won't work on my 2001. o wells.

im looking to hit 6psi on stock internals so will be fun.

nate12346

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
are you goin to balance that turbo?
Already done:tease:

fail safe is a good idea.. i don't know why i didnt think of that.. maybe good idea for me to do too. probably gonna steal the oil fill tube idea. ;) maybe it won't work on my 2001. o wells.

im looking to hit 6psi on stock internals so will be fun.

Glad I could help a lil on the ideas lol. As for stealing the oil tube idea.....It's copy righted

jk

Kirby N.

Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
So do I get a ride since I am in your town??

lil red

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
ya ya ya
i have 19 days till i get my liscince, and i gotta rebuild my entire top end

let alone its the first motor iv had the heads off tha tctually needed to run again
exept my 5 horse briggs in the garadge

stegomon

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987/1990
Make / Model
fords and only
Transmission
Manual
dude all is looking great

Kirby N.

Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Help pay for gas and its a deal lol :rolleyes:

I leave in two weeks for College. So I am super pressed on time to get er done
College is lame... See if you weren't paying tuition you could pay your own gas money! Seriously, it looks cool. I need to see it in person and take a ride before I give you a full thumbs up!

We are doing wheeler on Sunday if you are interested in going and your truck runs. Send me a PM if you want to go.

burningRANGERtires

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Help pay for gas and its a deal lol :rolleyes:

I leave in two weeks for College. So I am super pressed on time to get er done
thats exactly why i havent started my project. i just want to get my truck on 33's before i start college.

nate12346

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
UPDATES:
I installed a bunch of switches for everything thats is going in.

Here is a switch to light up the boost gauge:

My gauge set-up. The boost/vac gauge is the smoked black one, Tach is on top:

Now for the stuff under the hood!
I had to trim the radiator fan just a tiny bit for the MAF sensor to fit in right

Here is the intake set-up:
I had to extend the MAF sensor wires about a foot for it to reach its new position. Then the Blow Off Valve and then a 90 degree bend down to the turbo

:icon_hornsup:

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals