• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Turn key and nothing

TLBNut

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford, Ranger
Ok, I just bought a 1993 Ranger 2.3L 5 spd, it will not start. If you turn the key, power comes on but no start. I can start it if I turn key on and use a jumper wire from the positive post to the "S" terminal on the solenoid. I have replaced the following items, one at a time and no change. The Battery, clutch sensor switch, Battery cables, solenoid, Key lock cylinder and ignition switch. I am stumped. If I am not mistaken the only thing left in that system is the Ignition Control Module? That is a pricey part, so I want to be sure.

Thank you,

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
Did you check the clutch switch?

TLBNut

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford, Ranger
Ah yes I knew I forgot something in the post, yes I did replace the clutch sensor switch.

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
maybe the Bendix in the starter us stuck out.???? just throwing that out there :icon_confused:

86merc5.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
When it starts with the jumper wire does the engine sound normal ( do you hear the bendex spinning constantly while truck idles ? ). p.s. did you get my p.m. about other parts ?. also my Rangers are 5 speeds, I may have used parts you can try ( mine are 4.0l ) not sure what all crosses over. Also I have the factory Ranger repair books, Contact me if you want to use them.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
1992 START circuit is pretty simple with manual trans

When you turn the key to START a Red/light blue stripe wire sends 12v from ignition switch(under steering column) to clutch switch(on clutch pedal pushrod)
Next to this red/light blue wire on the clutch switch is a Pink wire
These two wires are usually #5 and #6 on the 6 wire clutch switch connector

The Pink wire runs thru the firewall and becomes a red/light blue wire that runs to the "S" post on the starter relay(solenoid)

Battery-------ignition switch-----(red/blue)-------clutch switch-----(pink)-----firewall----(red/blue)----starter relay

I would start at clutch switch, make sure you are getting 12v on red/blue wire when key is in START
You can jumper red/blue and pink wire together to see if START now works, if it does then new clutch switch is bad or not closing like it should with pedal all the way down

Last edited:

92 Ranger Fox

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger 2wd
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I just replaced the Ignition Lock Cylinder on my '92 Ranger, and now my truck isn't wanting to start. it's acting like it's a low battery. but when i just turn the key on, the radio will come on (if i turn it on), the fan will blow, and all that, but it's not even wanting to try to crank. Everything is hooked up like it was when i took it off. is there something that i'm missing?

when my friend gets up, i'll see if i can jump it.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Make sure you got the cylinder in properly. The cylinder pushes a rod that moves down the steering column and actuates the switch. It sounds like it isn't pushing the rod far enough to push the switch to the start position.

92 Ranger Fox

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger 2wd
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Make sure you got the cylinder in properly. The cylinder pushes a rod that moves down the steering column and actuates the switch. It sounds like it isn't pushing the rod far enough to push the switch to the start position.
it's all the way in. i can turn the key back to take it out, and i can turn it to try to start it, but when i do, i get nothing

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I just replaced the Ignition Lock Cylinder on my '92 Ranger, and now my truck isn't wanting to start. it's acting like it's a low battery. but when i just turn the key on, the radio will come on (if i turn it on), the fan will blow, and all that, but it's not even wanting to try to crank. Everything is hooked up like it was when i took it off. is there something that i'm missing?

when my friend gets up, i'll see if i can jump it.
Why did you replace the key cylinder?

As said the key turning pushes and pulls an actuator rod inside the steering column and that rod Slides the ignition switch, under the steering column, into its 4 positions, ACC, OFF, RUN, START

There is also a safety switch to prevent starting "in gear"
With a Manual transmission the switch is on the clutch pedal's push rod, clutch pedal must be all the way down to CLOSE the switch
When switch is closed then starter motor can be activated using the key

92 Ranger Fox

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger 2wd
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Why did you replace the key cylinder?

As said the key turning pushes and pulls an actuator rod inside the steering column and that rod Slides the ignition switch, under the steering column, into its 4 positions, ACC, OFF, RUN, START

There is also a safety switch to prevent starting "in gear"
With a Manual transmission the switch is on the clutch pedal's push rod, clutch pedal must be all the way down to CLOSE the switch
When switch is closed then starter motor can be activated using the key
i replaced it because out of the blue, the one i took out just suddenly stopped turning yesterday morning when i was getting in it to take my girl to school, and myself to work. i even took a pair of pliers to try to turn it, while not applying TOO much pressure as to break it or bend the key out of whack. but now after i replaced it, the key turns, but the truck won't start. there's no anti-theft, and the key's not chipped.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
That could be because the actuator rod or ignition switch was damaged, so stuck key was just a symptom not the problem

I would pull out the ignition switch and see if you can manually move it into its 4 positions
Its just above brake pedal area on bottom side of steering column

Unhook 1 battery cable when removing the switch

Its often easier to drop the column down to do this, read here: https://www.therangerstation.com/forums/index.php?threads/need-to-replace-ignition-switch-on-1992-ranger.74596/

92 Ranger Fox

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger 2wd
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
That could be because the actuator rod or ignition switch was damaged, so stuck key was just a symptom not the problem

I would pull out the ignition switch and see if you can manually move it into its 4 positions

Its often easier to drop the column down to do this, read here: https://www.therangerstation.com/forums/index.php?threads/need-to-replace-ignition-switch-on-1992-ranger.74596/
well, i just got the column dropped, the switch pulled, and i am able to move it to all 4 different positions. the actuator arm is still attached, and it does work.

92 Ranger Fox

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger 2wd
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD

i assume that while i was tapping the screwdriver into the ignition lock cylinder, the actuator rod must have come out of its slot from the ignition switch. but when i got the switch back on, i made sure that the rod was in its slot, put the ignition lock cylinder in, with the column still dropped, and i reconnected the battery. i tried to start it, and sure enough, it fired right up. so i ended up sinching everything up, and put it back together.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Good work

Thanks for posting the FIX

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals