• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Turn Signal / Hazards Puzzle on a 2005 3.0 Ranger

Maui Cruiser

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Aloha from Hawaii, I have a 2005 Ranger with a 3.0L and about 165k.

The rear turn signals do not work. The hazards do not work.
The bulbs do, because the lower one ignites with headlights turned on,
and the white top one ignites when reverse is engaged.
The front turn signals work. The lights in the dash work. The fuses all look good.
So far I have I replaced the flasher relay at the drivers left knee - which brought the high speed dash flashing indicator to the regular speed...
The switcher works, I even bought a used one, installed and still same effect. The front signals work, the rear ones do not...

Thanks for your help guys!!!!!

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
Rear flasher aren't working at all but all fuses are good. Bulbs are good. Could be a bad ground somewhere or some wire has come unplugged. When did this happen? Did it just start acting up ? Have you had the bed off recently? Maybe you have the wrong bulbs.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2005 Tail lights have 2 bulbs on each side, one is a Dual filament bulb
Reverse has its own bulb

Parking light is one filament in 2nd bulb
Turn and brake SHARE another filament in 2nd bulb

So Parking light can work and turn/brake doesn't work if turn/brake filament is burned out

Do Brake lights work on both side?
Also check that 3rd brake light on cab also works

If brake lights all work then turn signal bulbs in tail lights are OK
If they don't then both filaments may be burned out

If brake lights work but not rear turn signals then check under bumper if previous owner has "tried" to install trailer wiring, may be some butchered wires there

Turn Signal stalk on the steering column is called the Multi-function switch, because it does several things
The front turn signals and rear turn signals have separate wires coming out of Multi-function switch, so front can work and rear not work
But they use the same Flasher so if front works then Flasher is OK

AFTER you have tested the rear bulbs and they are OK, you may have to replace the Multi-function switch

Maui Cruiser

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Hey guys thanks for your replies. I already tried putting in another multi switch and had all the same symptoms. I have the correct bulbs. The cab 3rd brake light works but not the tail lights. The lower rear bulbs do illuminate when headlights on and the upper rear illuminates when in reverse. The lower rear tail does not work for: hazards, left / right turn, or brakes.

I bought the truck two days ago with this issue. It does not have obviously cut wires anywhere or loose connections. Does not look like the trailer wiring is bad, or that the bed came off. I’m pretty stumped. I have already swapped bulbs and their seats with all the same results. I suppose I should be looking for a cracked wire... just not sure where to look. Feel free to continue asking questions or offering suggestions, I appreciate your super quick replies so far boys!!! Aloha from Maui I’m off to the beach in the girlfriend’s minivan in the meantime!

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
3rd brake light working means brake switch is OK

Front turn signals working means the Flasher is OK

The front turn signals and dash turn indicators use/share the same wires from the Multi-function switch

The rear turn signals and brake lights use different wires from Multi-function switch than the front turn lights.

In 2000 and up Rangers the rear turn and brake lights share the same wires and bulbs
one wire/bulb for rear left turn/brake
one wire/bulb for rear right turn/brake

In 2004(and up) the rear turn/brake wires were routed to the Engine Fuse box, for the Trailer connection Fuses, 7.5amp
One fuse for left wire and one fuse for right wire
But these fuses were just for the trailer plug wires, not for the trucks rear lights

But what I would do is to Locate these 2 fuses in Engine fuse box, try #38 and #42, if they are 7.5amp fuses then those are the right ones.
Pull out the fuses
Turn on the key and then turn on either turn signal
#38 should be right signal
#42 Left signal

Use a volt meter(or test light) and test each fuse connector, one should be Flashing 12 volt/0 volt, that means the Multi-switch is passing voltage to that fuse location
If none of the 4 connections are "flashing" then voltage is NOT coming from the Multi-function switch, so wiring issue is in the dash

If there is "flashing" voltage then problem is in the wiring from engine fuse box to the tail lights

Orange/light Blue stripe wire is used for rear Right turn/brake bulb

Light Green/Orange stripe wire is used for rear Left turn/brake bulb

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals