• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Turn Signals and Hazard Flasher are out, replaced MFS and not Fuses

cobrajocky

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B4000SE
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
15"
My credo
If it ain't broke, break it so you have to fix it.
I have a 1997 Mazda B4000 SE 4L V6, think top of the line Ranger XLT / Auto, no tilt column.
I am at wit's end, a while back the Hazard switch started acting up, pushing the button on the top of the steering column I'd hear a faint "crackling" sound from that area, the Hazard Flasher might - might not work. Seems the turn signals also started failing too. Common logic said the MFS was failing, read lots of others complaining of the same problem / same solution. Eventually the Hazard and Signals failed totally. NOTE: Everything else on the MFS WORKED - High Beam, Wipers and Washer. .... Yeah so got off duff finally a year later, ordered a replacement MFS, dropped the bottom and top clamshell cover pieces, replaced the MFS and expected all to be well ..... NOT.

I've check the #21 and #10 fuses and they are whole.

I've looked under the dash, left and right of the steering column and I'll be damned if I can find the Flasher Module. What the _______? Everyone seems to claim on a 96-97 Ranger / B-4000 it's there to the right of the steering column .... sorry NOT.

I could really use some help figuring out what the issue is. - New MFS, fuses are good. Where the H**L is the Flasher Module and which one is right (part number) for a 1997?

Thanks, folks.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Last edited:

cobrajocky

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B4000SE
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
15"
My credo
If it ain't broke, break it so you have to fix it.
WHERE is that picture supposed to be in the cabin of a 1997 Ranger XLT/Mazda B4000? I had a 95 Ranger XLT before the 97 Mazda B4000, and that picture looks nothing like either under the dash! That looks like an old rusted out junk full-size Pup. That bottom frame piece looks nothing like the Dash lower frame even with the "Kick Panel" removed!

Anybody got a REAL picture of where the Flasher is at in a 97 Ranger XLT 4-litre V6 and how to get to it? Behind some mysterious panel and where?

Also need the correct part number, I've seen a half dozen part numbers referenced for a Hazard/Turn Signal Flasher unit for a 1997 Ranger XLT/Mazda B4000.

I've read that Rangers/Mazda's with the "Tilt Steering Column" (I don't have one) has a problem with the wires pulling out of the upper connector into the MFS. Did anyone hear of a similar issue with non-Tilt equipped Rangers?

Again - remember I wrote that I could hear a "crackling" sound, like a poor or loose connection when I activated the Hazard light button .... all this leading to the failure of that switch and the turn signals. I'm a mechanic, not an electrician.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals