• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Unplug Idle air control valve and engine dies (2.9L V6), Normal or bad valve?

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
Years ago I had a SVO mustang and thought I had injector problems. I took them out and took them to the Ford dealer. They had a machine there that they hooked each injector to, and was able to run some cleaner through them and check the flow and the spray pattern. I don't know if they still do that or not, but it was not that expensive and did not take them very long to do it. They let me go back and watch when the tech did it.
My closest dealer is 35 miles away and they're not interested in helping DIYers at all so I don't go to the dealer for anything, I have much better luck from pick a part and Rock Auto.

Between yesterday and today I pulled 2 of the TFI module heat sinks that I need to do the remote TFI mount in my Ranger and Bronco 2. Now I need wiring and to re-read the tech post regarding opening up the module and modifying it to use as a blank plug for the distributor to run the wires out of it to the actual TFI location on the fender or wherever I end up putting it...thinking up front by the washer fluid reservoir somewhere there's tons of room over there on that side.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
If you did not get the shielded wiring from the junkyard, make sure you get some from the store. Nowadays with not many radio shacks around, you may have to get some shielded wire online. I uspposed you could get some of that sticky aluminum tape and make your own shield, and strip the insulation off a piece of wire and weave it in to make the shield connection to a good ground. Only ground it on one end.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
If you did not get the shielded wiring from the junkyard, make sure you get some from the store. Nowadays with not many radio shacks around, you may have to get some shielded wire online. I uspposed you could get some of that sticky aluminum tape and make your own shield, and strip the insulation off a piece of wire and weave it in to make the shield connection to a good ground. Only ground it on one end.
Where would I find shielded wiring? None of the wiring under the hood had any shielding. Both of these heat sinks came from Aerostar Vans. I realized too after I got home I forgot to grab a couple of TFI modules too as the Aerostar ones are totally different...need at least one now so I can modify the heat sinks to accept them. Then figure out where my tube of thermal paste went LOL. I was planning on doing this conversion and gutting a couple of TFI module cases to make a blank that will screw back onto the distributor to make a better more reliable connection especially since I can't see back there to try and wire up anything with terminals to plug in...I think gutting a module would be better and easier to plug back in.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
The wiring from the distributor to the remote module was shielded from the factory. There should also be some shielding in your original TFI harness, leaving the module running on top of the engine toward the pass side. That TFI harness is shielded, I believe all the way to the computer.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
The wiring from the distributor to the remote module was shielded from the factory. There should also be some shielding in your original TFI harness, leaving the module running on top of the engine toward the pass side. That TFI harness is shielded, I believe all the way to the computer.
Ok, thank you I'll grab a bunch of it on my next trip, I didn't realize it was shielded, didn't look any different than the rest of the wiring in my vehicles already, but I'll grab some...need it anyhow to make the extension harness to the remote location.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals