• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Up shift problem

CC Rider

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Automatic
1995 4 banger Auto

Truck is at the shop now for the second time
Not upshifting correctly
Have to let foot off peddle to get it to upshift.
If you do not release peddle presure it will keep reving and not shift.
OD light flashing most of the time.
Tranny Tech finding nothing wrong - this is a good shop.:pissedoff:

Any help would be apreciated!
Thanks

ZSK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
If the O/D light is flashing the tranny is throwing a trouble code the tech should be able to fix it according to the code.

CC Rider

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Automatic
If the O/D light is flashing the tranny is throwing a trouble code the tech should be able to fix it according to the code.
I agree !
I'm getting ready to call the shop. They keep saying it must be an electrical problem ( don't understand that statement)

No vacuum diaphragm on this year so is there some sensor that tells the tranny to shift?
:no2:

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
The PCM tells it when to shift.

Of course it's an electrical problem. If these guys get confused by high-falutin' words like "resistance," I'd strongly suggest a different shop. The days when everything was adjusted mechanically are long over; it's no longer remotely acceptable to punt repairs with a magical "electrical" label.

Keep in mind that diagnosing this problem may require significant engine diagnosis.

CC Rider

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Automatic
The PCM tells it when to shift.

Of course it's an electrical problem. If these guys get confused by high-falutin' words like "resistance," I'd strongly suggest a different shop. The days when everything was adjusted mechanically are long over; it's no longer remotely acceptable to punt repairs with a magical "electrical" label.

Keep in mind that diagnosing this problem may require significant engine diagnosis.
That's what I was thinking ( PCM) but was hoping some sensor I could not identify was doing the magic :^)

I'll see if Pick & Pull has a doner this weekend.

Thanks

CC Rider

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Automatic
OK the shop did find a code and the 3/4 shift selonoid could be the issue.

I say could because he said at the same time the PCM could be causing the code if the PCM is damaged or not working properly.

Sound remotely familiar :^)))

Thanks

Check book in hand :^(((

I hate having others work on my stuff

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
You need more diagnosis. No code is sufficient to condemn any sensor or actuator. Codes check CIRCUITS. And both your PCM AND your 3/4 solenoid could be fine. Sometimes (FAR more often than people think), the problem turns out to be a broken wire or poor connection.

CC Rider

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for the info - I did pass this allong to the tech and he agreed

Bent Bolt

Ford Technician
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Supercharged 4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
You need more diagnosis. No code is sufficient to condemn any sensor or actuator. Codes check CIRCUITS. And both your PCM AND your 3/4 solenoid could be fine. Sometimes (FAR more often than people think), the problem turns out to be a broken wire or poor connection.
Almost. There are 2 basic types of trans codes. Some are Electrical faults such as P0755 which is a SS2 solenoid circuit failure. This code is only set if there is an electrical failure anywhere from and including the PCM, wire harness ,solenoid.

A code of P1756 is a shift solenoid No. 2 functional failure ,mechanical or hydraulic failure from and including the solenoid,valve body or clutches/band. A DTC P1756 cannot be set by a electrical failure just as P0755 cannot be set by a failed clutch function.

So whatever code was set in CC rider's truck should fairly easily direct a competent tech in the right direction.

Last edited:

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Even functional tests can flip codes due to wiring faults. There must be some sensor -- and wires to it -- involved. In this case, I'd guess the IDM and VSS circuits (both of which should trip their own P codes if problematic, but might not if they are in range but just wrong). All P codes are flipped by the PCM, so a PCM fault can flip them erroneously (though this is rare).

OBD-II diagnostics are substantially more reliable than OBD-I, but they still are not perfect. There is little redundancy in automotive diagnostics like there is on aircraft and spacecraft. That's why they can get fooled.

Bent Bolt

Ford Technician
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Supercharged 4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Well CC, what did you find out ???

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals