• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Updated Oil Catch Can

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
I thought you had hooked inline with the PCV valve. Thanks for the explanation.

Sent from a Commodore 64 using a 300 baud modem

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
I finally found a source for the oil separator...cost is $118 plus tax...

And also found that the oil separator that I was using is not meant for "engine oil" because the oil is thicker and dirtier than that found in air systems...so the filters clog really easy...but the guy told me that soaking them in paint thinner or gas would clean them up...just a matter of changing them more frequently.

After about two weeks the oil pressure was way up and the oil started flowing freely again out of every possible crack and may have created a few to find their way out onto the driveway...

Replacing the head this week...hopefully...and if that doesn't stop the oil problem (I'm also following some advice on another forum about leaking 2.3 engines) I may take this up a notch and go with a V6 or...gosh...a V7...I don't like tomato juice so I'm trying to avoid having a V8...

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Well, time for an update...will post pics tomorrow of the upgrade.

Found out that my "oil burning" was partially due to the valve seals and the new head has that sorted out. But I have been getting more oil burning...turns out that the PCV was passing oil through the manifold inlet (high vacuum) and I had to come up with a routing that still allowed the gases to go back into the engine without the oil.

I modified one of the cheap oil separators by using some pot scratching pads and it seems to be catching most of the oil, but it does not allow it to filter into the separator base so it just fouls and I need to replace that every few days. Not a big deal and it costs just pennies to replace the filter. I had about four of them so I set aside two that I swap out and then change the pads.

Working on getting a "real" separator still, but I've discovered that I can't just cross the border to the US because now I need a passport (where have I been???). That shouldn't take long to process...

Anyway, pics and catch can improvements to be posted soon...

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
OK...updated it and added new photos...still need a pic of the pot scrubbers I used but that is in the works...

This has improved my oil retention quite a bit. The truck still draws in a bit of oil but that is due to the cheap separator I am using until I can get a good one...but I have to order it from the USA and working on those details (like finding a rich g/f with a CC)...

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Just this morning was looking thru the Jegs catalog and they have two oil separators for under $80. I finally got around to installing my JLT this morning About half the guys with SC's use that brand. Just has a fine mesh screen, no mesh.
Dave

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Just this morning was looking thru the Jegs catalog and they have two oil separators for under $80. I finally got around to installing my JLT this morning About half the guys with SC's use that brand. Just has a fine mesh screen, no mesh.
Dave
I was digging around on the internet last night after reading your post and found a page that said most separators don't do what they say they will do. I forget the name of the guy on the link but, as it turns out, he makes and sells a micro screen separator that, of course, works better.

But I did find a few people that actually use the same material in their setup (the synthetic steel wool...aka pot scratchers) and they claim this works very well and the material stands up to the oil so it can be reused.

Anyway, I changed my oil the other day and put in 10w40...the motor seems to run much easier (as compared to 20w50) but there is a bit more smoke...and I did notice that my separator is hardly getting anything in it...so maybe there is a problem with the PCV operation...will have to check it out and get it cleared up before I get pulled over...

Really smoking today...lol

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Well glory be unto God~

I was getting a bit frustrated with the parts suppliers in Canada trying to locate someone who had an oil separator...to the point of declaring war...

So...today I went to TSC (Tractor Supply Company) and was looking at their paint sprayer equipment (after walking around the entire store for half an hour) and what do they have hanging on the wall but EXACTLY what I was looking for...well, not exactly exactly because it wasn't actually an oil separator.

Anyway, I find this thing and then spend ten minutes at the service counter waiting for the guy to come back from wherever he went to open the packages so I can take it apart and have a look at the way it works. He obliged me and I bought it...hooked it up in the parking lot and watched it for ten minutes while the engine was idling and guess what! It took the oil out of the line, dropped it neatly into the bottom of the glass bottle and my engine stopped smoking~!~~!~!~

Well, almost...but it is way better than the one I had on there...will post picks of this...and there is a bigger model that I will incorporate as soon as I can afford it...may be able to actually eliminate the catch can and just put these in...

:yahoo:

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I read thru your thread and you mention pics numerous times but you seem to have forgotten to post them....or my computer is going on strike again. Sometimes it refuses to show pics that were shown the previous day.

Richard

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Yes, that has been a problem. I did post some new pics but I put them in the original post so they are at the top so that someone will see the most current version and not have to read through the whole thread to get the idea.

I may have to redo the whole thing but the biggest problem is that I have to pull everything apart to redo some pics showing the way the catch can was put together. I've been pretty busy lately and finding time to tear it apart, clean it up and take pictures has been limited.

It has been a mishmash of updates as I figured out better ways to direct the air flow and better parts to filter the oil out of it. But I think I'm finally seeing a finished product that could work well...and once I do that I will probably find an engine to rebuild so I can just dump the whole thing and not have to worry about it...:)

GentleRF

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Mark:

I think there's another place for the air/oil separators. Moroso.com makes them for use with their single ring piston installations. The earliest ones used a Briggs and Stratton bologna-style muffler welded to a pair of fittings and kept vertical. I think it could be a very cheap way to go. If I still had the gas welding set-up, I would make a couple to try on my 2.3.

Rick in East Bremerton

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Thanks Rick,

I did actually find one from Performance Improvements in Oshawa (about an hours drive) and they will order it for me but they wanted, at the time, cash up front. I didn't have the $200 (they are cheaper in the US) at the time and I don't go to Oshawa that often...although I would make a trip if needed.

The original separator I had was working pretty good but for some reason more and more oil started making it through (could be the fact that I had just put in a lighter oil) so I had to find a solution PDQ.

This one has been working well...made by Campbell Hausfeld (or something like that) and I can buy replacement filters...but I have to drive 3 hours round trip to get them...the store that sold the last one to me may be able to order them in...but I'm pretty sure they will say they can't...just the way the distribution system works in Canada...

If you are having problems with blow-by and oil being drawn into the intake then it might be worth your time to fab one up...let me know if you do and how it turns out...the biggest problem I've found is that the can alone does not separate the oil properly...it needs a micro screen (or several) to get the oil to drop out of the air.

The pot scratchers did a pretty good job...but I also have a foam issue (due to some additives I'd imagine) that mucks things up too much for my liking...

I really do need to find a short block to rebuild before I invest too much more in this idea....but I would certainly put something on even after the rebuild because it greatly reduces crankcase pressure.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Alrighty then~!

I've replaced the el Cheapo separator with two others that do a much better job...so far. Problem is they have a "brass scinetered" filter (whatever that is) that can be replaced and/or cleaned as needed...just a matter of a two hour drive (for me) to get replacements.

This pic shows the larger size separator...Campbell Hausfeldt is the manufacturer...

http://i1179.photobucket.com/albums/x399/akwarian8/Oil Catch Can/MaxiSep_zpsdda619b8.jpg

This is the smaller version that is in-line between the PCV valve and the lower intake under the carb...

http://i1179.photobucket.com/albums/x399/akwarian8/Oil Catch Can/MiniSep_zps6d730215.jpg

And this is an overview of the way it is set up now.

http://i1179.photobucket.com/albums/x399/akwarian8/Oil Catch Can/AdditionstoCC_zps7c032d90.jpg

I might just start a new thread showing the amazing progression of this awesome project...lol

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
:yahoo:

I think I finally got it...

Problem was that I had not enough exit lines to handle the pressure. I rerouted everything, put the bigger separator on the intake line and rerouted that behind the engine so it's not as busy around the oil cap.

I'm going to test it tomorrow again on a long, high(er) speed drive to Toronto. Today I went to Beaverton (an hours drive) and was hitting around 80 to 90 Km/hr and only had a minimal amount of tailpipe smoke from oil burning. :yahoo:

I also changed out the PCV and put one from another vehicle on it that allowed me to make the routing a bit more straight...

And last, but not least, I put an actual catch bottle on the bottom of the separator (because it leaks) that could help return oil to the crankcase.

Pics to follow and better documentation...once I run a more thorough and high speed test...

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Well, I've all but scrapped the idea of trying to "catch" the oil...it's too slippery to catch...

I have taken another approach...I rerouted everything I could into the vent that was previously used for an air pump and it goes directly into the cat...and guess what?

No more oil burning...or very little...

I'm just concerned that all that oil into the cat = FIRE!

Think I'm going to swap the engine...hopefully before the fire starts...and the good news will be...my cat will weigh about ten lbs more than it should so I can get more money for it when I turn it in...

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
I guess I could update this for a final revision...

The engine finally blew up last summer but I managed to make it to where I was going. It even started up after I had it towed to a friends' place to work on it. I didn't get a chance to tear into the engine to see what blew, but I think it was the head gasket...and I could have fixed that but...I found a low mileage 2.5 with a rolling frame so in the process of rebuilding on that platform (96 Ranger).

The catch can enabled me to keep driving longer than I should have but was loaded with problems...number one being me...

When I routed everything into the cat it worked fine for a while...then it started burning that oil and blowing a trail of smoke that a watchful OPP officer noticed and pulled me over...that resulted in a $365 fine that I got reduced after another trip to the courthouse...

All in all...if you are running a boosted engine and need to catch the oil that is blown...get a real catch can...if you just have blow-by and need something to tide you over...

forget it...you will spend more time and money running around trying to fix the problem than it's worth...get the rings done asap and that will end your blow-by for a while...

A real catch can might work but I never did get one to see that in action...I was somewhat afraid that all that air pressure would simply end up blowing the oil out the top of the catch can (the vented ones) and leaving me with -$200 or so for the trouble...

If anyone comes up with another solution...please post it if possible...there are many people out here that would love to see a workable solution...even me~!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals