• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Updating the 2.9L Tech Page - Suggestions Needed

slinky

Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
dang, this 2.9 section is hella sad....where are all the good stickys??? there has got to be some decent info in the archives here...

1989LongbedGT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
yes the 2.9 is deff the bastard child of all the engines. I dont know how many Ranger Forums and sites I read just pertaining to the 2.9 and the lack of information or neglegence towards them. Sick of seeing "swap in a 4.0"

I was going to go the 5.0 route with my GT but planned on keeping the 2.9 for originality purposes and to squeeze a little extra out of the old 6.

Currently in the process of Porting the Upper and Lower intake manifolds. Im taking alot of pictures of before and the process through porting these intakes specifically for this engine. Also have measurements and areas to look out for when porting. Hopefully have a how to with pictures so people can benefit from it who may be looking into doing the same to the 2.9. Keeping low cost in mind as well when performing modifications such as this and other "performance" gains.

Matt

Last edited:

Goathic

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
For
Transmission
Automatic
I have to Agree

I noticed that the Tech Library has a 3.0 rebuild and 4.0 rebuild articles, but nothing on the 2.9. A good 2.9L rebuild article would be nice for those of us who are still interested in doing one.
Would be nice having something of a guide to help with a rebuild of a 2.9L or getting a good donor 2.9L to build. Something in Parts section on parts for older rangers and rebuild kits. The other thing I have a hard time finding is a conversion to convert a 2.9L to run on propane or natural gas. :icon_rofl:

Last edited:

Captainstubs1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I really want to rebuild my 2.9L soon hopefully if I do I'll definitely make a thread for it. I have a couple questions about a company I found online that hasn't been mentioned here. Tom Morana (I think that's how you spell his last name) racing has a Stroker kit and a box intake for the 2.9L any thoughts?

Sent using Tapatalk

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Morana makes good stuff. Not sure that I would waste the money stroking a 2.9 when a 4.0 is just as easy and more effective for performance gains.

Captainstubs1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
At this point and time a 4.0L swap is out of my reach and a 2.9L rebuild is

Sent using Tapatalk

jhammel85

Then I say go for it. If you're going to rebuild it, you might as well improve it and have fun while you're doing it.

As much as I like the 2.9, I do think it's worth doing a 4.0 instead but I understand where you are coming from.

Captainstubs1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Then I say go for it. If you're going to rebuild it, you might as well improve it and have fun while you're doing it.

As much as I like the 2.9, I do think it's worth doing a 4.0 instead but I understand where you are coming from.
Thanks for understanding jhammel

Sent using Tapatalk

jhammel85

Eh, it could always be worse. Nothing wrong with a 2.9....Unless you overheat it of course.

Captainstubs1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yea I've been doing a lot of reading got a very reputable radiator shop near me so I'm going to see if I can get a 2 row radiator with electric fans 180 thermostat etc no plates on the B2 yet been ripping the AC out of it recently went to start it today make sure I haven't messed with anything else now I have a very minor tick in the valves

Sent using Tapatalk

6or9

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
kinda urgent...have class tonight

I want to show my teacher tonight that i do my best to reasearch, that being said....i have a 1990 ranger 4x4 with a 2.9 and i have to do timing for class and so far noo luck!!!
I have a timing gun, almost any other tooli need.....WHAT AM I MISSING???
Any info would save my life. Thanks everyone

Cam10

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 EFI
Transmission
Manual
Info on the 5.0L injector swap and specs on the installation of a set of 2.8L pistons into the 2.9.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Automatic
Don't know if anyone has mentioned this already, but when you go to Summit Racing via the link for the improved design cylinder heads, Summit says they're no longer available.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals