• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Updating the 4.0L Tech Page - Suggestions Needed

97ranger4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
What about taking pictures of different angles of the motor so we can point out specific things that are harder to find to the untrained eye? I find it very hard to find pictures of our motors online?

Rico

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Pictures will go a long way to help with the boring reading that makes me go to sleep. Even if it's just a bracket i'd like to see it. :bling:

DeanMLFlame

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1991
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L, 4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
a Cam swap how-to what be great.

firefighter525

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
How about a compatibility list for swapping different years of the motor? Like going from a 2000 to an older motor or an older motor to a newer one. List some potential problems or additional items needed such as wiring harnesses, computers, flywheels, mounts, etc. Also some info on parts interchangeability and swapping from OHV to SOHC. It would cut down on the "will this work" posts. I'd help, but don't know the information myself. :dunno: :D Just a suggestion.

Last edited:

Daniel_187

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
sizes of things, IE bolts, oil, coolent. and neat tricks for replaceing thing

pishamus

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
My request would be performance prep on the SOHC 4.0L; such as how to have the crank race prepped, what to have done that is. Since the rods are forged, but very heavy, what to have a machine shop do to lighten and strengthen them. Enough with the OHV 4.0L. It's dead already!

MAranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
245c.i.
Transmission
Manual
My request would be performance prep on the SOHC 4.0L; such as how to have the crank race prepped, what to have done that is. Since the rods are forged, but very heavy, what to have a machine shop do to lighten and strengthen them. Enough with the OHV 4.0L. It's dead already!
Mine still runs like a champ with a 186k, and many others run BETTER with MORE miles. The OHV is far from dead! When neuclear war erupts, the only things left on the earth will be cockroaches, and a running 4.O OHV that was left idling when the bomb hit. Seriously, you'll just hear neuclear winds and my four liter's lifter tick, While your camchains decapitated any bystanders, and you play pick-up sticks with your high and mighty overhead cams.

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you can't go through it or around it, then go over it.
Mine still runs like a champ with a 186k, and many others run BETTER with MORE miles. The OHV is far from dead! When neuclear war erupts, the only things left on the earth will be cockroaches, and a running 4.O OHV that was left idling when the bomb hit. Seriously, you'll just hear neuclear winds and my four liter's lifter tick, While your camchains decapitated any bystanders, and you play pick-up sticks with your high and mighty overhead cams.
Leave it alone. he came on here to pimp a product, made 6 posts and left.

jaymegriffiths

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
how bout the variations from 90-94 even? im tryin to figure out the differences and i have nothing. obviously the engine is the same its just different sensors. how bout some wiring diagrams? like sensors on all 4.0's. if i had a chiltons i'd gladly mock up some guides to put on here. or a shop manual. etc.

jlc

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
anybody still reading this?

I think I saw hints of this earlier in the thread but I'd love to see a complete SOHC 4.0 re-build thread. Geeze guys these things are getting up there and I like my truck so much I'd like to have an engine ready when mine finally goes. After that a thread on rebuilding the auto trans would be great too. I'd like to see these threads provide advice and ideas on where to get parts, machine work that will need to be done (and ideas on realistic price) etc. I hope to get an old engine from a junk yard and start getting it ready now, that way I can take my time, shop for prices, re-do mistakes, etc.

Thanks

00RangerBlu

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Manual
Cam torque specs?
Rocker torque specs?
Cool, I get to answer my own questions.
Camshaft Sproket Bolt - 47 Lb/Ft
Rocker Arm Shaft Bolts - Step 1: Tighten to 22-25 lb-ft. Step 2: Tighten an additional 90 degrees.
And now I know.

windsordeath

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals