• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Updating the 4.0L Tech Page - Suggestions Needed

Jimzb

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
C4 in a 4.0

I am currently in the process of putting a c4 in my 98 ranger and really wont to have it added to the tech library. I found a bell housing from Culhane Racing that makes this a no brainer. I have about a year of researching on this because there just doesn't seem to be much info on the subject anywhere. This bell housing is the way to go if you don't want to have abunch of machining done. It makes it so simple.

wahl_7s

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
6.4,3.0,3.0,4.0SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
There is nothing about 4.0 SOHC engines or c-4 swaps!!!!

wahl_7s

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
6.4,3.0,3.0,4.0SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
I am currently in the process of putting a c4 in my 98 ranger and really wont to have it added to the tech library. I found a bell housing from Culhane Racing that makes this a no brainer. I have about a year of researching on this because there just doesn't seem to be much info on the subject anywhere. This bell housing is the way to go if you don't want to have abunch of machining done. It makes it so simple.
You may have to replace the flexplate as well the c-4 torque converter may not bolt to your existing flexplate that also is available from Culhane. I'm not sure but Culhane should be able to tell you!

wahl_7s

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
6.4,3.0,3.0,4.0SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
what's a c-5 trans

orfordguy@yahoo.com

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
For
Engine Size
The bigger the better
Transmission
Manual
My credo
i know something about almost everything but not everything about anything.
issues with fuel systems and dual tank ranger issues, resolution for those... correction on several points. same with the dash install issues suggestions.. I didn't need to redrill my motor mounts for the 2.9-4.0 swap, the pedal/master clyinder could use 2 upper bolts where the explorer had studs from the upper dash/lower windsheild metal.. the lower right dash bolt needs aa angled peice to mate the dash to the side of the fire wall, only 2 of the upper dash screws will line up... more explanation on taillight wiring verus fuel pump, the explorer run the tailights through the body and fuel under wear the ranger runs it all under..stupid simple things like that..

zuki

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
suzuki
Transmission
Automatic
i have been running a c4 behind my 4.0ohv for a number of years now. used 78 2.8/c4 bellhousing.

96JackedMazda

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
A good write up on a 1992 4.0L Wiring harness converting to a 1996 Harness

Nl_jester

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 Liter
Transmission
Automatic
quick qustion i heard rumor that the aluminum heads of the 4.0 mustang increase the horse power out of the ranger engine about 30+

sonic blue
04 XLT FX4
stock
KYB monomax shocks
future mods
3" suspension lift
3" body lift
33" or 35" tires
cold air intake and catback

grampztoyz351

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 sohc
Transmission
Automatic
how about separating 4.0 ohv tech from 4.0 sohc tech mabe using subcategories

grampztoyz351

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 sohc
Transmission
Automatic
How about separating 4.0 ohv and 4.0 sohc into subcatergories.

89jeeper

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Hey Jim, Sean here (used to be 94rangeroffroad) Ive been gone for a few years, for some reason I couldn't log back in on my old handle? I just wanted to say thanks for posting my "Remote Radiator Install" on your tech page. Makes me proud to contribute on your site.

I had a quick question though, I thought my old Ranger was TOTM in was it June or July of 2006? I couldn't find it anywhere. Oh well... rock on man. Im not a Ford driver anymore, but loved my Ranger while I had it :D I got into the Jeep scene. Got a 89 Cherokee crawler build going on. Keep on truckin with TRS! Your site rocks! :icon_cheers:

samsfiveo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Manual
I know this thread is old and I might be off topic a little but I wanted to add to the 4.0SOHC performance improvements. I found by putting a less restrictive exhaust system (duals) and a K&N filter on my Explorer Sport it was a night and day difference. It really woke up this engine and made V8 like power. The 4.0 SOHC has 207 factory horsepower while the 4.6 SOHC has only 217 Horsepower with two more cylinders!

rusty70f100

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Here's some of the mods for the 4.0L OHV I know that aren't listed in your tech page:

1. Pistons / heads. There are larger chamber (90-94) and smaller chamber (95 and later) heads. The earlier pistons have a smaller dish than the later ones. Later heads on a motor with earlier pistons will raise the compression ratio. SOHC pistons are flat top, and work fine an an earlier OHV motor, raising the compression ratio significantly. I ran a motor with earlier heads and SOHC pistons. I calculated the compression ratio of that combination to be approximately 11:1. The SOHC pistons I used are Silvolite number 3155HC.

Here's a pic of the pistons in the block:
http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee229/acstech/HPIM0351.jpg

2. 2.9L rockers and pushrods. This is to compensate for the smaller base circle of the aftermarket 4.0L cams. When used with stock 4.0L roller lifters you can create an adjustable valvetrain, eliminating the necessity for custom pushrods. They do require the small oil hole boss right behind the pushrod to be ground down a bit for clearance of the pushrod cup. They also require careful assembly on the 4.0L motor since the pushrods end up pretty close to the intake ports on the cylinder head. Other than that, mine worked fine. I had the motor up to 4900rpm quite often with no problems. I think you give up a little lift, but I don't see where it would make that much difference.

Here's a pic of my 4.0L motor with 2.9L rockers and pushrods on it:
http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee229/acstech/HPIM0375.jpg

06RangerXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
if its not already there, spark plug torque specs.

RC

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Howdy All

I know this is an older sticky, but some of the suggestions are valid. I think a tech library section for SOHC engines would be a good idea.

Also an updated version for OHV 4.0s would be great. My wife keeps dragging these home (will be a different post) and the new one has a plastic upper manifold. would like to see some info in the tech library on these.

Later
Robert

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals