• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Upside down steering box?

Loanranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989/
Make / Model
Ford/
Fordzuki
Engine Size
2.9/2.3
Transmission
Manual
Ok, I know this sounds like a really, really stupid question, but has anyone tried running a ranger power steering box upside down? :badidea:

High Desert Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Umm, If you keep if as a front steer vehicle, than the steering would be back wards.

kunar

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.8l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
my first thought was...why?

Loanranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989/
Make / Model
Ford/
Fordzuki
Engine Size
2.9/2.3
Transmission
Manual
Ok, maybe I should further explain, this is for my Suzuki Lj20 project, which started with a 360cc 2 stroke 2 cyl engine. I dumped a 2.3 liter 4 banger ranger motor in it, which came from a 2wd with power steering. I would like to use the power steering, but the ranger box mounts to the inside of the frame, and the pitman arm points out forward. There is no room whatsoever on the inside of the framerail, due to the engine being 2 liters bigger than the original, but due to the wider sami axles and outboarding the springs, I have enough room for the box on the outside of the framerail. The problem being, I would have to fab up some funky box to mount the steering box in, then mount this to the frame, because of the way the mounts are set up on the steering box. The next problem is with the pitman arm pointing forwards, it would be way too far forwards to connect a draglink to the tie-rod. If I turned the pitman arm around on the steering box, it would be aligned perfectly with the tie-rod, but like you said, it would be a backwards steerer. So the next logical (somewhat) idea would be to turn the box upside down, this would place the steering box mounts on the right side of the box, which would then be able to bolt to the outside of the framerail, and also reverse the throw of the pitman arm back to the original left is left, right is right. Right? Like I said before, it was a shot in the dark, probably a wild and crazy idea, but then anything inovative begins as a crazy hairbrained scheme.

lowestcerberus

Reaction score
I don't see why it wouldn't work. But as pointed out earlier the steering would be backwards. But I recall ford used a box in the late 70's that mounted out side the frame rails.

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you can't go through it or around it, then go over it.
I see what he is saying....... if he turned the box upside down and reversed pitman arm his steering should be right. are their any problems runnng the box upside down?

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
If it's upside down and backwards, routing the intermediate shaft is going to be, well, entertaining.

There were some Saginaw boxes around in the early-70s in cars that mounted to the outside of the frame rail (back when cars had frame rails...). E.g., in Novas prior to 1973.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
sounds like hes wanting to turn the box upside down, then remove the pitman arm, turn it 180*, and bolt it back to the box.

i dont see why it wouldnt work....the box is hydraulic and shouldnt be orientation specific.

one problem i forsee is the fact that the linkage to the steering wheel is going to have to go under the pitman arm.

TireIron

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
heh, the linkage to the steering wheel will now be on the outside of the frame and at the BOTTOM of the box, which means under the frame... a multi-jointed steering shaft with a carrier bearing in it mounted to the frame would probably have to be made. Didn't the old broncos and some of the fullsize f-series use an outside of the frame box? and I thought a lot of the old toyotas used that setup also...

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you can't go through it or around it, then go over it.
I just went out and looked at my LandCruiser ..... find a Steering gear from an FJ60.... mine is compact and on the outside of the frame rail.

Cameron

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Zuk + Chevy + T
Transmission
Automatic
I just went out and looked at my LandCruiser ..... find a Steering gear from an FJ60.... mine is compact and on the outside of the frame rail.
The FJ60 box is common on the Suzukis, as well as a Toy IFS box. The FJ box has the pitman arm facing forward, whereas the IFS box it is facing backwards.

FWIW, for my Zuk project, I am using a IFS box.

badblue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
Ya the 78 bronco i got my hp dana 44 form had i out side box the i was thinking of using

Loanranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989/
Make / Model
Ford/
Fordzuki
Engine Size
2.9/2.3
Transmission
Manual
The FJ60 box is common on the Suzukis, as well as a Toy IFS box. The FJ box has the pitman arm facing forward, whereas the IFS box it is facing backwards.

FWIW, for my Zuk project, I am using a IFS box.
What pump are you using with the ifs box a yota pump?

Thanks everyone for your input, this is the last major hurdle to get this frankenstein out on the trail.

Loanranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989/
Make / Model
Ford/
Fordzuki
Engine Size
2.9/2.3
Transmission
Manual
heh, the linkage to the steering wheel will now be on the outside of the frame and at the BOTTOM of the box, which means under the frame... a multi-jointed steering shaft with a carrier bearing in it mounted to the frame would probably have to be made. Didn't the old broncos and some of the fullsize f-series use an outside of the frame box? and I thought a lot of the old toyotas used that setup also...
I've already accepted the fact that it may need a multi jointed shaft, I've looked into other fullsize, outside the frame boxes, I've even thought about making the thing right hand drive. I'm just trying to make it work with what I have on hand if at all possible, but if it isn't then I will have to go spend more money. Thanks for the input.

Loanranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989/
Make / Model
Ford/
Fordzuki
Engine Size
2.9/2.3
Transmission
Manual
Well, with time restraints, I decided to scrap the upside down idea and go with the IFS yota box, I picked one up tonight, and it looks like everything should work out just fine. I am still interested to find the answer to the upside down box idea though, so if anyone gets a wild hair and wants to be inovative, let me know how it works. Thanks again for everyones insight into this though.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals