• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

V2203 swap

Yettiyell

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hey all,

I have in the works to swap a v2203 into my 86 ranger. Ive down alot of research. I know what I am in for.

I purchased a idi model for a good price locally, but for anyone following this if you can get the DI. You'll be happy you did. I will get one some day but for now this idi will do fine. I have a fairly tight budget and limited time so this may take a while but it will get done.

During my research I had trouble finding any specific info on this engine and ill try to cover things in more detail so that its more of a walk through. If there is someone with good info please chime in. All help is welcome just try to keep everything on topic. Be patient with me and enjoy.

Yettiyell

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Posting some rough measurements for everyone to see. During my research I couldn't find this info. Take note this engine has the pancake style oil pan which may make it shorter than some models. Once i figure out how to load them pictures will follow. Lol

Yettiyell

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Alternator is partially mounted. This is a 92 ranger alternator. From a 2.9l ranger I had to mock up the engine with. The hole i used takes a larger bolt but it fits an m8 quite well. I used a 100mm m8 bolt and had to file away some material to clearance the housing. I have an adjusment bracket in the works. I will have to add a washer to space the alternator forward to align the pulleys closer.

Attachments

Yettiyell

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes it is. Good job with the link. Now everything can be located on one build thread.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
stock, may get leveling springs in front "somday"
Tire Size
I had a 2-cylinder diesel in my sailboat, brings back memories!

What can you do about transmission connections, build your own bellhousing??

I can't help but look up stuff when something new to me is posted. I realize this site is marine oriented but they show SAE bellhousing how to things.. does some or any of that work when trying to mate a small diesel to GM or ford transmissions?https://www.sbmar.com/articles/understanding-bellhousing-and-flywheel-measurements/

https://youtu.be/txPp2lu3Pcg

Last edited:

Yettiyell

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I'm starting to get the the feeling that I was misunderstood when I said that i couldn't find info. What I meant was that the info is there but none of it is cataloged in any order in one place on one thread. There are the bits and pieces of info all over but on different forums. Sites. And threads. Anyone following this should read pretty much anything FTE and usedkabotaman have to say on another forum. They are some very knowledgable people on these engines.

Otherwise if you are posting other forums for the sake of having the info on hand please continue. I just do not want this thread to be too overwhelmed with links. I will try to touch base on all the possible options others have used when it come to that time. I do appreciate everyone chiming in. Its nice to know you're willing to help.

Yettiyell

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Denis,
There are several options available. Others have machined the bellhousing down. There are adapters from overland diesel available. It depends on your transmission as well. I will post a picture of the bellhousing tonight. I believe it is an SAE #4, I could be wrong. I am personally looking into an adapter from parts-barn for myself.

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
stock, may get leveling springs in front "somday"
Tire Size
Denis,
There are several options available. Others have machined the bellhousing down. There are adapters from overland diesel available. It depends on your transmission as well. I will post a picture of the bellhousing tonight. I believe it is an SAE #4, I could be wrong. I am personally looking into an adapter from parts-barn for myself.
Cool, I like to follow diesel conversions and swaps even though I'm too old to do any of it it's kind of fun watching what others do.

I saw the adapter plate on Parts Barn exactly the one for the M5OD.. pricey!!

It's an open forum good luck with trying to keep it on point, you may come off as an ogre, but I'm subscribed!

Last edited:

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
I'm starting to get the the feeling that I was misunderstood when I said that i couldn't find info. What I meant was that the info is there but none of it is cataloged in any order in one place on one thread. There are the bits and pieces of info all over but on different forums. Sites. And threads. Anyone following this should read pretty much anything FTE and usedkabotaman have to say on another forum. They are some very knowledgable people on these engines.

Otherwise if you are posting other forums for the sake of having the info on hand please continue. I just do not want this thread to be too overwhelmed with links. I will try to touch base on all the possible options others have used when it come to that time. I do appreciate everyone chiming in. Its nice to know you're willing to help.
I just posted it because I got curious about the swap after reading your intro and did some digging. Wanted to share it on the off chance you hadn't run across it in case it would head off reinventing the wheel at some point in the project.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Yettiyell

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I should just learn to keep my big mouth shut. I don't want to be an ogre. Wasnt my intention from the start. Id rather you all join in than be afraid to. My sincere apologies if I came off rude.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
No worries, good luck with the swap and keep us posted. Very curious to hear more as it goes.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Yettiyell

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Now. Back to the build.

If you google "SAE bellhousing chart" you will find a list of bellhousing and how to measure them. This is deffinitely SAE#4.

Is actually appreciate if anyone with a v2203 lying around would measure their bellhousing and see if they all are #4 or not and post if you have different Housings.

This means you could buy a SAE#4 bellhousing adaptor...if one exists.

Attachments

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals