• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

valve springs

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I was mixed up, sorry
My apology Joey, yes I was lost in the post
I will be more observant in the future

Last edited:

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Joey, Matthew was responding to Josh B's posts. Sorry, but you got thread jacked there for a bit.
:threadjacked:

joey74

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
Joey, Matthew was responding to Josh B's posts. Sorry, but you got thread jacked there for a bit.
:threadjacked:
That ok. Is it posable to put to big of springs in the heads?

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
That ok. Is it posable to put to big of springs in the heads?
I don't know a lot about it, but I think so.

Too big of a spring to me means too much spring pressure, way too much spring pressure can cause problems from what I recall reading in the past. I think I've read about other issues as well, but I don't remember much about it. That said there should be a large range of what works, you could use a stronger spring without being too strong.

IIRC, back in the days of flat tappet (non-roller) cams and lifters, too much spring pressure could lead to wiping out the cam lobes in short order. Don't know how that translates to roller cams.

Springs are generally matched to certain amount of lift. If you are using the stock cam, the recommendations here are your best options IMO. Either the trickflow kit, or call/email Alex's parts and ask for a recommendation.

joey74

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
I don't know a lot about it, but I think so.

Too big of a spring to me means too much spring pressure, way too much spring pressure can cause problems from what I recall reading in the past. I think I've read about other issues as well, but I don't remember much about it. That said there should be a large range of what works, you could use a stronger spring without being too strong.

IIRC, back in the days of flat tappet (non-roller) cams and lifters, too much spring pressure could lead to wiping out the cam lobes in short order. Don't know how that translates to roller cams.

Springs are generally matched to certain amount of lift. If you are using the stock cam, the recommendations here are your best options IMO. Either the trickflow kit, or call/email Alex's parts and ask for a recommendation.
would you have a parts number for the trick flow kit?

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Nope, I used Alex's Springs and the kit I used has been replaced by something else. Someone else might have it and probably wouldn;t be hard to find with some web searching.

Bigmatthew86

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Email Alex parts. Tell him the cam you plan to run, he’ll tell you what spring. It’s that easy. With a roller cam you don’t really have to worry about taking out a lobe. You just don’t need a 8000 rpm .600 lift spring for a 5000 rpm .480 lift.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals