• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

washer, wiper delay not working

Maverick83

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
97 xlt 4.0L 4x4 AT
The Washer spray thing and the wiper delay quit working. I checked fuses nothing blown, also checked for power at the washer pump - no power when I have someone press spray button..

any ideas on where to start looking or literature on how to get this resolved would be much appreciated.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
I'd pull the stalk (multi function switch) and test that if the fuses and relays checked ok.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
According to this diagram Delay and washer share the same wire to the GEM from the multi-function switch

All the wiring in the GEM and switch are GROUNDS, and GEM controls the Relays that activate the washer pump or the Wiper motor.
The fuses power the relays and devices

So when you press the Washer button that sends a full time Ground to GEM on the Washer wire, light blue/orange wire
The GEM then Grounds the washer relay to activate the pump, in relay box #2, not sure where that is???
GEM would also Ground the wiper motor relays to active wipers while washer is spraying

When you select delay wipers the switch sends Ground but thru a 3.3k resistor on that same light blue/orange wire

Washer relay could be bad but that wouldn't effect delay wiper function

Do the wipers come on when you press washer button?
Or does nothing happen

GEM = generic electronic module
This is the Body computer in Rangers from 1995 to 2003, its located behind the radio
All the switches in the cab, except main headlight switch, are controlled by the GEM
When you select 4WD the GEM gets that signal from the 4WD switch and activates the 4wd
When dome light comes on GEM did that
Wipers are no different, wiper switch isn't connected to wipers or washer, its connected to the GEM

Attachments

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals