• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Weird Combo?

flwsock

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
Hi all. I was wondering if my ranger had some weird combo or something. It's an 83 4spd, 4wd, 2.8. But what perplexes me is the paint and interior. I haven't seen another one like it.

It's two-tone blue and has bucket seats with a hard plastic console in the middle. All other 83 rangers I've seen have had a bench seat, and none of them were two-tone blue. I have never seen another 83 with bucket seats. Was this a rare option? It also has the woodgrain cluster, but I've seen those before (they seem less common than the aluminum ones).

I've attached a pic of the truck before I got it completely repainted a few years ago. Unfortunately, the plastic molding on the bottom (which I've also only seen a few times on rangers) and the step things had to be thrown away. They were totally rotted underneath. I liked the molding.

Oddly enough I was just going through some old files and videos and noticed I made this gem back when it was at the paint shop. Does anybody know where I might be able to find these?

Attachments

Last edited:

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
The paint i dont *think* is anything special.

I dont think buckets were ever an option on 1st gen rangers, spicially in 83. You got some pics of that? Im gonna guess they were installed by someone other then ford.

Those rocker covers scream 80s JC whitney.

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
The paint scheme looks to be the factory applied "Deluxe Tu-Tone Paint". If your door safety compliance sticker is still legible, it'll list the original colors. I'd guess from the pic and video that yours is likely original.

Reclining bucket seats were listed as standard in the XLS, and a factory option for the XL and XLT. The woodtone dash panel was used in the XL and XLT models.

Lower body side molding was factory applied; all black with XLS and with a bright accent with XLT. The "step things", or running boards, are aftermarket.

Do you still have the console? It's not clear if this was factory or dealer installed. The sales brochures for '83 doesn't list a center console, but there are two versions of consoles in the 1984 "Factory-Installed Options" pamphlet (a lot of options in the pamphlet were dealer installed items).

Looks like you have a very nice early Ranger, well optioned. I wouldn't call it "weird", but definitely not common.

84 Consoles b.jpg

Locotomb

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 1986
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
6inch custom fab lift/86
Total Drop
Bagged 3 inch custom drop beams 88/89 Custom triangulated and step notched rear
Tire Size
35/12.5/r18
My credo
Everything looks better lower
My 86 has factory buckets with lumbar. I thought they were out of a b2 or something but nope. B2 style door cards as well.

flwsock

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
@RobbieD

I'll grab some pics next week when I'm home. I'm planning on using most of the week to work on the Ranger. I haven't driven it in like 8 years. It was my first car. I'll never sell it, I like it way too much.

If I remember correctly, the console in the truck looks like the bottom one in your picture. It's been a while since I've really looked at it, but it looks damn close. It's the same seats, too. Although, I don't have the middle ribbed thing in my console, the previous owner must've broke it or took it out (unless I've been oblivious all these years and it's just pulled all the way up, I'll have to check next week). If It is broken or otherwise, maybe I'll get a new one.

Does anyone know of a place where I might be able to buy the old rocker trim, or would this be a junkyard run?

Last edited:

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
That's really cool that yours still has the console. They're not common at all.

Not sure on how hard it would be sourcing the rocker trim; it's another not-often seen option, and it's getting hard to find early Rangers in junkyards.

I'd love to see some more pics. You have a nicely optioned early Ranger, and you're smart to hang on to it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals