Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
33/12.5/15
The ranger has been abused lately, with all the rock throwing and all. Lol so I took it on a beer run today. It hasn't been touched in about 6 weeks and she started right up, not even a tick out of the 2.9 !
Making a little progress on the b2. Changing the body mounts and adding a 2" body lift. Peeked under the carpet and was pleasantly surprised to see this!!!View attachment 34392
Got all the body mounts bolts broke loose with a 3/8 ratchet. Unbelievable for a 30 year old vehicle that I paid $700.00 and drove home

Rock Auto 5% Discount Code: CFB3B5F7F32B37 Expires: March 30, 2020

Angie

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
92 & 83 project
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L 302
Transmission
Automatic
Ivwill, did the body mounts and rear shocks today. I have to say a couple things. It was easier than what most will have to experience for 2 reasons. went to friends and, 1 he has a hoist in his yard and 2, he has this new tool that is the sweetest thing. called a "bolt buster" https://boltbusterinc.com/ not that i endorse many things. BUT wow i was very impressed with this thing.

yes expensive, but he is a welder by trade and a great shade tree so this tool is used alot. I was impressed how this tool made short work of old rusted bolts.

cheers

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
I drove the '97 today, and worked a little on the steering wheel center and alignment... I'm used to doing alignments on 15" wheels, 14" is just smaller enough to make that harder... apparently I had the toe in too far, skewed it 1/2 turn on the collars toward the passenger side and the steering wheel is almost centered. I noticed the tires cambering in reverse which told me it was too much toe in so one turn longer drivers side and 1/2 turn shorter passenger side was the trick...

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
My credo
get outta my way, I'm falling!
gave it a ride home on a flatbed after a crank but won't fire situation.
the main reason for not starting is 362,500 miles and real bad oil consumption.
at an attempted start up after about 2 seconds of running rough it stalled, then only sort of tried to fire on 1 cylinder when cranking.
gave up on it before the battery went completely down.
several hours later when the flatbed arrived it started right up, of course.
didn't trust it though, and on the truck it went.
once home,,,,you guessed it, started right up numerous times over a 10 minute period while it ran to charge the battery.

on the good side, it died in a parking lot with plenty of room for the flatbed to get at it.

Locotomb

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 1986
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
351w
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
6inch custom fab lift/86
Total Drop
3 inch drop beams/88
Tire Size
35/12.5/r18
My credo
Fords and Drums
Extended my radius arms.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
Oh how I need to extend my radius arms... been putting it off for far too long...

pjtoledo, sounds like a crank sensor to me, I had one go out where it stalled while driving, waited half an hour and it drove home, changed the crank sensor and it's been going for a decade on the same one...

Locotomb

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 1986
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
351w
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
6inch custom fab lift/86
Total Drop
3 inch drop beams/88
Tire Size
35/12.5/r18
My credo
Fords and Drums
Oh how I need to extend my radius arms... been putting it off for far too long...
I put it off too. I finally got tired of my caster being so far out, so I hunkered down and did it. I meant to take pictures too. But my phones been messed up for so long I keep forgetting its fixed. It drives so much better now though. I'm glad I finally did it.

PetroleumJunkie412

2.9 Mafia
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I put it off too. I finally got tired of my caster being so far out, so I hunkered down and did it. I meant to take pictures too. But my phones been messed up for so long I keep forgetting its fixed. It drives so much better now though. I'm glad I finally did it.
How did you extend yours? Building my D35 right now and looking into doing this.

PacificGreen1998

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
3.0l Vulcan v6 with low miles...
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
stock since 1998
My credo
That one guy with ADHD and doesn't stop talking about cars.
Is it easy to reupholster a seat in a truck? If it's harder than reupholstering a kitchen table chair I'm still up for a challenge...I want to try fixing my cruise control today and maybe later in week like Wednesday look into reupholstering drivers seat...instead of another used one....but then again even when I wanted to do half the stuff on my truck it gets put off do to other things...project truck or car is never finished...🤷‍♂️

Locotomb

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 1986
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
351w
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
6inch custom fab lift/86
Total Drop
3 inch drop beams/88
Tire Size
35/12.5/r18
My credo
Fords and Drums
How did you extend yours? Building my D35 right now and looking into doing this.
My truck is only two wheel drive but I think the arms are pretty similar where its important. I didn't want to mess with the trans cross member either. So I decided to add 12" to the arms instead of 15", which is pretty standard I guess. Okay, so I don't have any money. But, I had: (beware of fuel lines and wiring on the inside of the drivers side frame when drilling. I will not be held responsible for any damages.)
- OEM brackets cut from the cross member. (on the cheap!)
- 2"x.25"x72" Piece of steel laying around.
- Cut two pieces at 15 inches. (Pic #1)
- Drew a "reference line" perpendicular to the frame, on the bottom of the radius arms while they were still on the truck. (for future cut and placement of the extended threaded pin, and to maintain geometry)
- Then decided to run the tubing parallel (flush against) with the Bottom line of the arm:
- Measured 5" in from the bushing edge to the top edge of the main body (Pic #4)
- And 3"5/8ths on the bottom. Got my straight edge and connected the dots on the face of the arm and used my reference line to set the top and bottom cut lines. What you get is an I.D. of 2" so the square tubing would fit tight. And have a good consistent square welding surface.
- Placing the extension:
- 15" extension tubing outset 12" towards bracket and the extra 3" inset on arm. (Pic#1(you could add more on the inset if you wanted. I made these on the fly so 3" is what I had))
- In order to get the extensions to land in the right spot, (and to gain clearance for wheel rub) measure a 3/8" gap between the inside of the radius arm and the end of the inset tubing.
- I added a wedge in the 3/8 gap then Burned in all the welds.
- Relocating the Bushing Pin:
- The threaded bushing pin will need to be trimmed to drop 10 degrees from the extended arms for vertical alignment.
- Note: the reference line drawn earlier set your horizontal alignment. So your pin will angle into the relocated stock brackets properly.
- When you trim for the pins vertical alignment, make sure you don"t change your horizontal.
- Locate the brackets: (beware of fuel lines and wiring on the inside of the drivers side frame when drilling. I will not be held responsible for any damages.)
- I used the bottom rear hole on the body mount to locate the brackets.
- A rivet needs removing. I used a drill and air hammer.
006.JPG
007.JPG
008.JPG
009.JPG

- "After" they are located on the frame. I drilled two holes on both frame rails 9Underside), thru existing holes on brackets.
- Bolt on brackets using 9/16 grade 8 bolts and nuts/washers. Put it all back together and check your alignment. Done!

Long story short: I was able to get rid of my radius drop brackets and gained stock caster. I know it doesn't look the best but It affords me some ground clearance and added articulation. not to mention a much improved ride. And all it cost was a few cutting wheels and some .035 wire.

PacificGreen1998

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
3.0l Vulcan v6 with low miles...
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
stock since 1998
My credo
That one guy with ADHD and doesn't stop talking about cars.
Is it easy to reupholster a seat in a truck? If it's harder than reupholstering a kitchen table chair I'm still up for a challenge...I want to try fixing my cruise control today and maybe later in week like Wednesday look into reupholstering drivers seat...instead of another used one....but then again even when I wanted to do half the stuff on my truck it gets put off do to other things...project truck or car is never finished...🤷‍♂️
A few minutes from this post, I called my grandpa and turns out the original cruise control buttons just stopped working like they were fried, back of horn/airbag almost looks melted or burnt slightly....so going to see if maybe we can take truck to a dealership and get it looked at...keyscales ford most likely...not really sure if I trust Prestige Ford.... so instead I'm just going to wash the windows in my truck today because I'm too annoyed to actually wash it

Jim2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 L
Transmission
Manual
I put new brake pads on the front, one was worn down to the metal and the rest were very thin.

The dash warning-lights for "Brake" and "ABS" were on, but now they're off. That was an added bonus! I thought the ABS light would be a separate issue.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
Locotomb, that's about what I've been meaning to do, the stupid thing is I've had the square tubing and a cut up pair of Radius arms for like 5 years... life just keeps getting in the way and time and space are hard to come by...

Locotomb

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 1986
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
351w
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
6inch custom fab lift/86
Total Drop
3 inch drop beams/88
Tire Size
35/12.5/r18
My credo
Fords and Drums
@scotts90ranger I gotta tell you, you will thank yourself if you find the time to do it. it rolls so much better now with the caster issue eliminated. I'm no longer hanging on to the wheel just to stay in a straight line... Today I reinforced the passenger I-beam drop bracket. 1/4" plated the week spot. and, oh-yeah, I hate drilling holes. Absolutely hate it.

4.0blue98

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
Round
My credo
"eh screw it, its fine"
Turned 183k today. Noticed that my truck smells like and old truck... Someone should bottle that fragrance.