• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What does it mean if you suddenly lose braking pressure?

juntjoo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Do unto others...
Never had this happen to me before. I was working last night which involves starting and driving my truck shortly, turning it off then repeating. And suddenly after starting it one time I find my brakes spongy and that I've got very low level of fluid in the MC. I dont have the truck on me, I left it at work and will ride my motorcycle to it today to work on it. I read somewhere it could have to do with some auto setting drum brake function that you can remedy by pumping the brakes while going in reverse, which I'll try first which would be great if it works, but if not would this most likely be some sort of failure somewhere in the system like a leak at some point that just suddenly busted? That's what I'd imagine although from a quick check with my phone camera(wasn't willing last night to wiggle my body under the truck) I didn't see any obvious fluid having leaked. I guess I'm hoping like the drum brake quick fix there might be something else(if not the drum brake system) that just fell out of order that won't require replacing any parts and I won't have to trap my tool box to my bike.

What are the top most likely situations I've got going on here? I am going to bring as many tools as possible just in case, but just wanted to get a better idea of what I could be dealing with. Thanks!

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
Sounds like you have a leak... maybe popped a brake line or hose.

A quick visual of said lines and hoses underneath the truck will probably identify the problem.

Fill the master cylinder first... pump the brakes several times then do your visual inspection... probably see it dripping.

juntjoo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Do unto others...
It's related to the MC if the whole braking operation is affected correct? I just read it's a "split system" meaning if there were a problem like a leak in either the front or rear brakes then the other half would operate normally and you wouldn't get such loss(85%ish)in functionality correct?

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Short answer... yes

In reality... the pedal goes straight to the floor with very limited brake in opposite axle. It's bad enough that you will park the truck and find a way to get home as you did last night.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, I agree with Uncle Gump

Broken brake line fits the description of what happened, spongy then pedal to the floor

Rear brake line runs to the back inside the driver's side frame rail, not uncommon for it to rust thru and leak between gas tank and frame rail, I have had two Rangers do that.

As said fill Master and pump brake pedal then look for the wet spot under the truck

Most vehicles have "split" brakes, but pedal still goes to the floor, you can pump it and the system without the leak will still work until pedal gets down to the floor and you have to pump again.
So you are not without brakes, just without good brakes

juntjoo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Do unto others...
http://imgur.com/a/rZXT7qj

For some reason the 2x4 calls for the wrong part, the one pictured. It's too long. Looks like it rubbed against the wheel. And it doesn't mount right. PO used a zip tie. Turns out the 4x4 part fits perfect. Anyway, all fixed now.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Glad you got it fixed. Thanks for the update.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
That will do it everytime... good to hear it's rolling down the road and stopping.

You have the 4wd suspension on your 2wd truck. Torsion bar opposed to coil spring. Might want to keep that in mind when buying front end parts.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals