• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What donor vehicle to use with my desired mods? (5.0 manual, 4x4 twin sticks w/ crawlbox, etc)

2011Supercab

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota Tacoma
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I'll mention this again, because I think it's important.

Infant/child car seats MUST face forward or backwards.

It's not legal to put infant/child seats or booster seats in the sideways facing jump seats in the back.
The sideways facing seats are only legal for people over 48" tall, and not very comfortable.

FFR96

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
I wouldn't bother with anything smaller than a Dana 44 or 60 front axle, depending if you are wanting to stay stockish in width will change the $$ amount of the axles...

If you want the "easiest" and simplest setup going to the Explorer 5L swap would be it for engine then the M5OD-R2 from a 4.2L F150 from '97-03 I think and the BW 4406 transfer case is the narrowest of stockers, can't be twin sticked though...

I have an '00 Explorer that I did a manual T case swap to a 4406, headers and mild cam that I plan on putting a Dana 54 TTB front axle and a 10.25" out back... maybe next year I'll get to working on it, got the engine freshened up this year so getting closer...
Thanks for the recommendation I'll check out the d44 and d60 options. I am aware or the FOA long travel 4.5" suspension lift but i still don't know if that includes axles with it. I would hope so considering it's 4 grand before taxes and shipping. I'm thinking about doing the exterior of the truck (front fenders, hood, grill, Headlights, replace cracked windshield) and interior (new dash and seats, fix steering wheel buttons and power mirrors/locks) first, and then try to make up my mind on what suspension lift, gearing, and wheel size will be the best for my power train choice which will come last.

As for the swap, I know I'm bouncing around a bit here, and I still have not made my mind up (so 5.0 and 4bt still on the table), but I recently discovered the 1.9L TDI option with the adapter plate out there off the shelf. If I go the TDI route, i'm wondering if i should just keep the M5ODR1 that i already have, or if i should go the M5ODR2 route. Lots of decisions. Just need some clarity moving forward so I know without a doubt what needs to be purchased so im not buying a trans or t-case and then not needing it later down the road.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
I am aware or the FOA long travel 4.5" suspension lift but i still don't know if that includes axles with it. I would hope so considering it's 4 grand before taxes and shipping.
Not aware of any lift kits that include axles. These days, 4 grand for a quality lift is probably average. I think I spent close to that for my 6" Skyjacker lift 5 or 6 years ago. And that didn't include their top of the line shocks.

M5ODr1 would be fine for a tdi bbuild.you need to make sure which vehicle the Trans comes from, so you have the right bellhousing bolt pattern.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
Tdi 1.9 is a good way to go....

You can leave the power train in place and get the ranger style behemoth doubler. Much better driving then a 4bt.

The diesel should only need opacity testing for 90s model..in regards to emissions.

To buy one custom dana front 60 is 10 grand .... junkyard....150...to 2500.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals