• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What I will need to know to do a V8 swap

STEVENB

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RANGER
Transmission
Automatic
Hello,

This is my first post in this forum, with hopes of plenty to come.

I was wondering if there were tech articles available for everything you need to know when going from a 2.3L to 302 V8.

I have an 88 Ranger, single cab, 2.3L.

I thought I read the motor needs to be out of an explorer or the intake won't fit? Is this true?

I know I'll likely need a new trans (which one I don't know), driveshaft, radiator, motor mounts, headers, new exhaust, etc.

About how much will I spend if I can find a 302 motor ready for $400

Thanks for all your help and advice.

Sorry if this question comes up frequently.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Look around the V8 section, there is lots of good info for the finding.

You are going to need to know some wiring and electrical, you will need diagrams, The Explorer intake and accessory drive do fit best. F-150 intakes are really tall and don't fit at all. Mustang intakes do fit, but not well, IIRC.

Cost is going to vary wildly by swap. It just all depends on what parts you find, what you can get them for, and what they need to be useable.

The cheapest way to go about it is usually to buy a whole donor vehicle that runs and drives and just take everything over, but that doesn't always get you exactly what you want, so you gotta weigh all that. It's best to figure out what you want to spend, figure 133% of that will be a good ball-park, and then don't start work until you have all the parts and a few hundred dollars for the misc stuff you forgot or didn't know you needed.

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
There are all kinds of articles here. Look in the "HOW To tech" section and there is a whole section devoted to v8 swaps into Rangers

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Mustang and Thunderbird EFI intakes fit quite well. My truck has the Thunderbird H.O. intake and I have several inches of clearance to the hood. I'll be switching to the Cobra intake or a Kenne Bell S/C eventually, and I have no doubt they'll fit under the hood quite easily.

Expect to spend 4 times what you originally planned.
Expect header and exhaust clearance issues.
Expect to modify crossmembers.
Expect radiator mounting and radiator hose issues.
Expect trimming of the heater plenum/box.
Expect hammering the floorpan/firewall seam flat.
Expect lots of junkyard searching.
Expect buying lots of tools you don't have already, and cutting/welding/modifying tools.
Expect LOTS of things being nearly impossible to get at because of tight clearances.
Expect LOTS of reading that you haven't done yet, and hour after hour of searching the net for answers.
Expect a sore back, shoulder blades, neck, and elbows.
Expect LOTS of unexpected issues of all kinds. lol

BUT, it can be done if you want it bad enough.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Mustang and Thunderbird EFI intakes fit quite well. My truck has the Thunderbird H.O. intake and I have several inches of clearance to the hood. I'll be switching to the Cobra intake or a Kenne Bell S/C eventually, and I have no doubt they'll fit under the hood quite easily.

Expect to spend 4 times what you originally planned.
Expect header and exhaust clearance issues.
Expect to modify crossmembers.
Expect radiator mounting and radiator hose issues.
Expect trimming of the heater plenum/box.
Expect hammering the floorpan/firewall seam flat.
Expect lots of junkyard searching.
Expect buying lots of tools you don't have already, and cutting/welding/modifying tools.
Expect LOTS of things being nearly impossible to get at because of tight clearances.
Expect LOTS of reading that you haven't done yet, and hour after hour of searching the net for answers.
Expect a sore back, shoulder blades, neck, and elbows.
Expect LOTS of unexpected issues of all kinds. lol

BUT, it can be done if you want it bad enough.
Expect a body lift.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
It's not the motor, it the transmission.

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
I didn't need a body lift for that and I didn't have to modify the trans tunnel either.

I guess it'll depend on which trans he goes with.

reef93

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
No body lift on ours. Just hammered the seam flat in the tunnel.

Ramcharger90

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
306, Bcam,
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Im using a mod5r2 trans from the v6 f150 it should be almost the same size as the r1 thats in my ranger now according to the ford guy near me. Also this project doesnt seem to be a one size fits all but you would think there would be a straight forward answer of what combination is the easiest from year to year but the main problem is no real instruction manual. Considering the amount of 8 cylinder rangers out there now probably more 5.0 rangers than LS S10's or with 350's for that matter. Also the amount of parts shared from exploder to ranger over the years

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
All swap info has pretty much been documented. Tons of info on here, as well as all of the other Ranger forums. It's just hard to locate sometimes.

When I was doing my swap, I often found it easier to Google the info I was needing. About 75% of the time Google directed me to the Ranger Station. The rest of the time I hit up other Ranger forums and even some Mustang and Thunderbird forums, as well as the Explorer forums.

Neal Cuba

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Hello guys.
Neal here in sugarland Texas. hello to everyone as I am new here
I have a 2001 XLT 4 door 4.0 auto trans, I love those early Rangers and very sorry I will neve sell mine.

Here is my question and comments, I like to wait until my Ranger is 25, then at that point that I don't have to deal with governmental epa test in Texas I like to do a little work. the idea of placing a 5.0 under the hood naturally aspirated is and sounds very not problematic to do, the thing is that I don't care about a switch opening my doors, I have a key, I like to retain my dash and gauges, and air conditioner and heating, but all the smog and anything that is not nesesary will go to the trash, I will re enforce my auto overdrive, I have an 8.8 on the rear I will keep maybe making it a little shorter for a little more meat in the back but its just an idea. so here it is, has anyone done this because on paper it looks easy.

engine: 5.0
heads: TFS mild port that I have
Cam: I love how easy the motorsport F works I have one.
intake: GT 40 that is sitting in shelf right now

my expertise: I modified many mustangs, have my 90 GT inside garage right now blown with I forget how many mods including curry 9 " rear, chevy steel bellhousing, tremec 5 speed tfs R heads, willson like manifold, VR Vortec supercharger, no air or heat, but she is radical on the street :). ( I have a back half kit and 12 point cage ) that I like to weld up before I go back to the street.

enough of that tell me anyone that has done it without all the electronics only for street fun

have great day
Neal

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals