• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What is the best transfer Case?

dgarner08

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
What is the best transfer case to use with a c4...i want the most common and strongest. also is the transfer case out of a 1985 jeep wagoneer compatible with a c4? I think it is a New Process 228/229J

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Honestly, RBV transfer cases are very far from the weak links. If you change the fluid every few years and fix leaks (which are quite rare on these), they will be effectively protected forever by automatic hubs, or if you have manual hubs, by U-joints.

Especially if you use a manual shift transfer case. Though the electrical ones work fine with regular use (it's when the motor sits in the same position for several years that you start to have trouble).

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you can't go through it or around it, then go over it.
for a C4 I would look for a model 20 from an early bronco or a NP205. If money is no object then look at an atlas II or an atlas 4spd

dgarner08

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
well what i am planing on doing is taking my old 1985 2x4 and doing a 4x4 conversion using a d44 and 9inch along with a 302. Right now I'm just trying to figure out what i need. I'm kinda broke at the moment.:sad:

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you can't go through it or around it, then go over it.
if you are doing that then snag the transfer case from the truck donating the transmission. it will be a fairly common transfercase. and what is a 1985 2x4 truck? Was it built to haul 2x4's?

dgarner08

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
oh sorry...it is a 1985 ranger 2x4 regular cab. currently it is a 2.3 5 speed. How much do you think a transmission and transfer case would coast me on average?

hitech_hick

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
oh sorry...it is a 1985 ranger 4x2 regular cab. currently it is a 2.3 5 speed. How much do you think a transmission and transfer case would coast me on average?
There, fixed it for you, there aren't any 2x4's at the ranger station unless someone is doing a shop build...

hick

mitch4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
ya if you have the electric t case make sure you use it often or at least once a week even if its just to put it in 4x4..then 4x4 L and take it out again.

projectnitemare

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
396W
Transmission
Manual
If you are using a C4 there are a few options. If you can find a Ranger C5 tailshaft and housing then you can use your stock t-case. They are getting pretty hard to find. The C4/Dana 20 combo is nice but be warned, that will become an expensive project. The Dana 20 is early Bronco specific and requires a EB tailshaft, extension housing and spud shaft. Very hard to find the tailshaft and for those parts plan on spending $700 or more. A standard 4x4 C4 will accept and fullsize t-case, the NP205 or 208 will fit best in a Ranger. The 205 is the strongest stock t-case pretty much ever but has a crappy low range. The 208 is a little larger and barely fits but is much lighter and has a better low range.

Matt

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals