• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What parts to salvage from Explorer, and Sport Tracs for application in my B3000.

gaz

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
87Ranger Endrigo 2.9l, 87BII Endrigo 4.0l
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Ranger 5" (2" suspension), BII 4" suspension
Total Drop
Ranger 5sp, BII A4LD
Tire Size
Ranger 33"/4:10LS, BII 29"/3:73LS
My credo
Deengineer until it is how Blue Oval should have sold it!!
@bhgl
I think the coolest feature on a Sport Trac is the auto lower/raise rear window...I want one!

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
Thanks @don4331 for explaining. I wasn't sure about some stuff. Just thought I would throw the Rotor thing out there. I didn't pay attention to his YM or the year range that the swap would work on. Sorr IF I added confusion to the convo.

bhgl

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B3000
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Update on the junkyard suspension component finds:

I wasn't able to grab anything for suspension this trip, main focus being on some seats, some miscellaneous plastic/good-to-haves and an e-fan.

04 Explorer Sport Trac Front Sway bar:
It's pretty big, 1.2 Inches as measured with a caliper, and it seems the bushing and end links on this particular truck were done rather recent! I may try to salvage them to save a few bucks since they look less than a year old. It's kinda sad to see, but someone clearly loved this particular truck.

Rear Sway Bar from other Ford Ranger:
No luck in this department, there was one sway bar equipped ranger, I believe a 2006, but between the rust and the fact it was an 8.8, I wouldn't have been able to salvage almost any of the fasteners/brackets/ubolts, and I would have spend enough hours cleaning it up I'd probably be better off just ordering something online, we'll keep looking though.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I can say with 99.9% certainty that the 4.0L coil will not work on the 3.0L. We had a 2000 3.0L Ranger for about a year that my cousin gave us for.parts thinking it had a bad transmission. It wasn't a bad transmission, but a combination of bad coil, bad fuel pump, and needing a tune-up. I'm almost certain that our spare 4.0L coils.wouldnt fit, but we still had Mom's old 3.0L Taurus in the back yard. We fixed cheap, and flipped cheap to someone that needed a truck.

I'm pretty certain I've seen explorer/sport trac roof racks modified to a Ranger cab. It certainly wouldn't be a bolt on mod.
Edit: Oops, I thought this comment said cap, not cab. I haven't personally seen one on a Ranger cab, but I could see it being cut down to fit an extended cab as @sgtsandman said below.

Yes, the roof rack can be mounted on a camper shell. Seen it done several times and I've thought about doing it myself if I can find a decent ARE shell around here. I'll be saving the one off my donor explorer just in case. IMO the Mountaineer rack looks a little better, but the Explorer rack is probably more functional. Either would work for me since it probably wouldn't carry more than a canoe or kayak.

Not discounting the Explorer skid plates, but I'm not sure about fitting them. The Explorer frame (96+ at least) is wider than the Ranger once you get aft of the front suspension. Might work, but might also be too wide.

Last edited:

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I can say with 99.9% certainty that the 4.0L coil will not work on the 3.0L. We had a 2000 3.0L Ranger for about a year that my cousin gave us for.parts thinking it had a bad transmission. It wasn't a bad transmission, but a combination of bad coil, bad fuel pump, and needing a tune-up. I'm almost certain that our spare 4.0L coils.wouldnt fit, but we still had Mom's old 3.0L Taurus in the back yard. We fixed cheap, and flipped cheap to someone that needed a truck.

Yes, the roof rack can be mounted on a camper shell. Seen it done several times and I've thought about doing it myself if I can find a decent ARE shell around here. I'll be saving the one off my donor explorer just in case. IMO the Mountaineer rack looks a little better, but the Explorer rack is probably more functional. Either would work for me since it probably wouldn't carry more than a canoe or kayak.

Not discounting the Explorer skid plates, but I'm not sure about fitting them. The Explorer frame (96+ at least) is wider than the Ranger once you get aft of the front suspension. Might work, but might also be too wide.
They can be modified to work on a cab roof too. Not much utility on a regular cab but is of some use on a Supercab.

Though, the roof of the bed cap would indeed make more sense, unless you are carrying something long. I put racks on both the cab and the cap if I'm carrying a canoe or long building materials.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals