• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What Transmission is this??

jdunne03

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
jdunne03:

You seem pretty adamant that the 12 year old truck you just purchased has the OEM transmission; You sure you didn't buy a truck that had had a blown auto replaced with a manual?

I have have done automatic to manual conversions in the Ranger's I have "restored" - repairing a 5R55 is more cost than truck, but reuseable M5ODR-1s are easy to find. I know all the parts which need to be swapped, so at end of day, the only remnant of the auto would be the sticker on the door.

And one can't modify the Federal sticker legally, so it remains the way it is.

For the experts:

Here's an interesting swap question - does the Miata transmission bolt to Ranger engine? Or does one swap the entire engine/transmission combo? How different does a Miata 1.8 look from a Ford Duratec?! Just like an Explorer 5.0/auto bolts into Ranger, might the Miata powertrain? (Not something we would normally contemplate, but if you had parts??)
Hey Don4331
You may be exactly correct but I gotta give credit to whom ever did this swap as it LOOKS 100% factory. I am far far far from expert on anything..... especially a new truck I've sat in for less than 30 minutes lol
I was hoping there was some ford site that would let me find the "as built" factory info from the VIN but no such luck yet.

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
Hey Don4331
You may be exactly correct but I gotta give credit to whom ever did this swap as it LOOKS 100% factory. I am far far far from expert on anything..... especially a new truck I've sat in for less than 30 minutes lol
I was hoping there was some ford site that would let me find the "as built" factory info from the VIN but no such luck yet.
Pm with the VIN... I can look it up here at work and send you the details.

jdunne03

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
So for those curious minds out there.....
This Truck left the factory with a M5R1- 5 speed manual so the factory sticker on the pillar is wrong.
Hope to have it reinstalled tomorrow
Again, thanks for the info & chatter to all

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
So for those curious minds out there.....
This Truck left the factory with a M5R1- 5 speed manual so the factory sticker on the pillar is wrong.
Hope to have it reinstalled tomorrow
Again, thanks for the info & chatter to all
Clear me up please. It came from the factory with a manual 5 spd. It has a 5spd. manual it it, & the vin says it came with a 5spd manaul.but the sticker on the pillars says it has an auto.( I didn't know there were pillar stickers with I info,only the door jam sticker.)

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
Clear me up please. It came from the factory with a manual 5 spd. It has a 5spd. manual it it, & the vin says it came with a 5spd manaul.but the sticker on the pillars says it has an auto.( I didn't know there were pillar stickers with I info,only the door jam sticker.)
I ran an OASIS report for him... yes it came with a M5OD, but as we all saw, the door jam sticker (on the B pillar) has a R code.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I ran an OASIS report for him... yes it came with a M5OD, but as we all saw, the door jam sticker (on the B pillar) has a R code.
So basically someone typed the door sticker.

Jorgedman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Hi new here but in the past two weeks I have been dealing with the same issue. But I had to do it the other way around found a good tranny like yours swapped the guts into my old case for a 3.0L v6.

Turns out your case and all m5r1 cases inside are te same. Gear teeth count change in the gear cluster and they have their counter part input output shaft blah blah blah. Cases inside are the same; bottom Line. So you and your son have a nice weekend ahead. Since you have to dismantle 2 transmissions.
Remove the rmtm5r1F guts out, I mean all, because those came with an updated 17 teeth in the reverse gear cluster and the one your son picked up it’s prop 16 teeth.
You’re swapping everything from the rebuild tranny to your old case. There is a nice 1 hr plus long video in YouTube that shows you how to do this pro style.
The top cover that holds the shifter; that whole assembly is getting swapped as well and it just mounts up and bolts on your old case/bell housing. Your old/broken tranny the slider and fork are wider for the 1st 2nd Gear due to an updated 3 part syncro for 1st gear. This is the reason you can’t use your broken tranny top cover with its forks, one of them it’s different.

So gut your old tranny and place everything in order on a piece of card board or table. I did this and took pictures and Watched!!!! the orientation of your sliders and it’s carrier (ref. Front<- ->back) and kinda used it as a map to help me when I was gutting the good tranny parts.

The speed sensor issue
The newer version tranny you have came with an updated speed sensor and the output shaft cover got an update for that new sensor. You will have to reuse the metal sensor gear that comes in the output shaft of your old tranny and change it to the new output shaft from the rebuild( this one has a plastic one with threats) your broken tranny it’s a metal one with blocks instead of threats. You will need to reuse swap the metal one. You will understand when you open it. Again same housing a little updated but it’s made for the same parts. Watch out for a single ball bearing under these parts. Get a good retaining clip set of players. Ace hardware it’s got one for $15.
Also when removing the 5th reverse fork&sider do this as a whole assembly (remove the bolt on side of the case that retains that short shaft. Remove the fork and slider With that short shaft it rides on or you will be looking for a single ball bearing and very hard to find spring that it is inside that one fork; don’t ask how I know that, I don’t want to talk about it)No! I said.
On assembly of this part it will take you a few tries. You, like many that have done this will cycle that reverse slider without that reverse gear on and will take the slider too far off its carrier and the 3 little pins will drop out and out comes the whole thing to reassemble and drop back in. I did it 4 times lol. Trial and error.

At the end of the day it’s a manual transmission I don’t think the ratio change it’s going to change anything. you control that clutch and acceleration.
It’s a small work truck not a racing drifting ranger. Swap the guts the bell of the housing change but the part where all the guts go it’s the same. Sale the old 2.3 casing as aluminum, should get enough to get you the new output shaft seal at your local auto parts. You can’t use the output shaft cover from rebuild tranny; speed sensor housing has change. Use the one that came with your broken tranny and swap the one gear inside.
I highly recommend you watch that you tube video. It’s over an hour long I watch it 3 times before I did this swap on my tranny.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Jorgedman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Old parts gutted. The site won’t let me upload other pics keeps saying they are too big and I don’t know how to make them smaller.

Other option you might have is to sell that 2.3 tranny and buy a rebuild kit for yours from the pic you posted the insides don’t look too bad. When this transmissions lose lubrication the 1st thing that goes are the bearings. Don’t use gear oil on these they only use synthetic automatic fluid motorcraft Mercon V. The bearing kits are not that expensive I don’t know about the synchros though because they are different.

Good luck Señor

Attachments

Last edited:

jdunne03

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Hey Jorgedman
Thank you so much for the time and effort you put into replying ! I actually was thinking about doing that but did not know for sure if the parts would fit so I decided to look for another complete transmission. The other problem I would have is my garage is just too filled with crap- to have the room to do that, I'm in the middle of a Subaru engine rebuild at the same time and have pieces on every table and bench in the garage. I got lucky as the first boneyard I called in my area had one with 120,000 miles on it and a 90 day warranty. I swapped it out and it runs and shifts smoothly, my son has put about 1,200 miles on it already. I'll be posting the 3.0L engine tranny on craigslist to get my money back. Glad you were successful and again thanks for your response.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
@Jorgedman
Could you provide a link to the video;
There is a nice 1 hr plus long video in YouTube that shows you how to do this pro style.
Also I can walk you thru resizing your pics if you want, pm me.

Jorgedman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Hi here is the you tube link I used. This is not my video mr Johnson’s Gee-rage uploaded this very helpful video and it shows how to fix the M5r1 or M5r0.

jdunne03

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Just for closure my truck is the 2.3L Duratec and Picked up a used one at a local boneyard and the truck is all good. New shocks, tires, sway bar links, fluids and filters. thank you all

Ginjaninja3

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
The picture with the two transmissions.

The one on the left is an M5OD from a Lima 4-cylinder, used in Rangers until mid 2001.

The one on the right is harder to see, but the holes in the bell look like an M5OD, given the starter drop being flat and up on the high LH of the vehicle it looks like it's made for a Duratec 4-cylinder, which replaced the older 2.3/2.5 in the Rangers/B-series.
Good day sir, I've been reading these threads and I see your pretty well knowledged on the cluster f@#k of transmissions ford and mazda have created. I got stuck with the wrong tranny a cpl years back and up until today I thought it went to a 99 4.0 v6 but now I'm thinking the jackass lied through his teeth n sold me one that goes to a four banger. Enclosed is pics of it any help to identify this expensive paper weight would be greatly appreciated. I've been trying to sell it on Facebook and don't want to give any potential buyers false or misleading information. Thank you sir and God bless

Attachments

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Good day sir, I've been reading these threads and I see your pretty well knowledged on the cluster f@#k of transmissions ford and mazda have created. I got stuck with the wrong tranny a cpl years back and up until today I thought it went to a 99 4.0 v6 but now I'm thinking the jackass lied through his teeth n sold me one that goes to a four banger. Enclosed is pics of it any help to identify this expensive paper weight would be greatly appreciated. I've been trying to sell it on Facebook and don't want to give any potential buyers false or misleading information. Thank you sir and God bless
I am fairly sure that transmission fits 3.0 V6 trucks.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I am fairly sure that transmission fits 3.0 V6 trucks.

Shran hit it on the head. That goes to a 3.0L.

The top of the bell is the key. The Lima 4-cyl bell has the top two bolts only about half that far apart. The Cologne bell has the top bolts much closer as well, but not as close as the Lima. A Duratec bell housing is almost perfectly circular.

That triangle feature at the top with the extra rib between the top of the trans and the top of the clutch housing is unique to the Vulcan engines.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals