• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What year ranger easiest 302/m5od-r2 swap?

jacobjws

Reaction score
Hey all, I'm in the market for a small truck, I've owned a 95 ranger before and it was the most comfortable riding truck I've owned.

I prefer driving a stick so what year would be easiest to do a swap on while keeping the truck a manual?

If I were to go with a ranger that is pre-pats, would an ecm from a donor truck/or mustang need reprogrammed?

If I go with a 97 or earlier ranger, I believe they use a return fuel system and since most 302s also use a return fuel system would that make things easier? I'm sassuming I'd need to add a pressure regulator.

I know I would need a 97-03 4.2 m5od-r2 with a drilled out bellhousing and from my understanding it's a bolt in and the driveshaft will match up in a 2wd configuration, but if it was 4x4 and I pulled an f150 transfer case, would the driveshafts match up or would this add extra work and need custom driveshafts?

If I used a 94-95 mustang engine, would I still need the front dress and exhaust manifolds from an explorer? I would assume this for an f150 302.

Are there any years where exhaust systems would line up? There doesn't seem to be a lot of information regarding the exhaust, maybe that's because the explorer manifold lines up with the stock exhaust?

I've replaced engines before but never done a swap, so what's the most straight forward way to do this? I feel the answer is a 97 or earlier 4.0, any experience or anecdotes?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to TRS :)

Good page to Bookmark here: https://www.therangerstation.com/tech/

Loads of How-to articles on all things Ranger

Look in the Engine section and scroll down to Ranger V8 Swaps: https://www.therangerstation.com/tech/engines-fuel-systems/
Lots of info

Yes, 1997 and earlier Rangers and other Ford vehicles have less electronics to deal with
The 1997-2003 M5OD-R2(M5R2) from a 4.2l V6 has the shifter in the same place as Ranger M5R1, but other year M5R2s work as well
The pre-1997 M5R2s in trucks have the shifter about 5" farther forward, so unless you bend the shifter arm it will hit the dash in 1, 3, and 5, but works just fine
In cars(Mustangs) the T5 shifter is farther back so comes up at the front of the Ranger seats, so also needs shifter arm bent for more comfortable shifting
Either works in a Ranger V8 swap, its just that the M5R2 1997-2003 has same shifter placement, and the 4.2l V6 in those years has same bell housing bolt pattern as 302/5.0l OHV
Transmissions are 2WD or 4WD, conversion can be done but can get quite expensive finding right parts

The transfer cases will have different driveshaft hook ups in different years, same in all Ford 4x4s, while plug and play is desirable it really does come down to matching the years, so look at pictures of transfer cases for the year of what you will buy first

Bobby'sFFRanger

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
3.5"
Tire Size
33"
Welcome to TRS :)

Good page to Bookmark here: https://www.therangerstation.com/tech/

Loads of How-to articles on all things Ranger

Look in the Engine section and scroll down to Ranger V8 Swaps: https://www.therangerstation.com/tech/engines-fuel-systems/
Lots of info

Yes, 1997 and earlier Rangers and other Ford vehicles have less electronics to deal with
The 1997-2003 M5OD-R2(M5R2) from a 4.2l V6 has the shifter in the same place as Ranger M5R1, but other year M5R2s work as well
The pre-1997 M5R2s in trucks have the shifter about 5" farther forward, so unless you bend the shifter arm it will hit the dash in 1, 3, and 5, but works just fine
In cars(Mustangs) the T5 shifter is farther back so comes up at the front of the Ranger seats, so also needs shifter arm bent for more comfortable shifting
Either works in a Ranger V8 swap, its just that the M5R2 1997-2003 has same shifter placement, and the 4.2l V6 in those years has same bell housing bolt pattern as 302/5.0l OHV
Transmissions are 2WD or 4WD, conversion can be done but can get quite expensive finding right parts

The transfer cases will have different driveshaft hook ups in different years, same in all Ford 4x4s, while plug and play is desirable it really does come down to matching the years, so look at pictures of transfer cases for the year of what you will buy first
Hey RonD, this is good info;

I also have the same question, just want to see if there are any details I'm missing.
I have a '94 4.0 ohv 2WD 5-spd, I've spent too much money on it keeping it straight and clean, but @ 388k miles, the bottom end is starting to dance.

I wanna simple, OEM-like Explorer 5.0L swap, with an M50D-R2 trans. These are easy to find, but are '96-'97 Explorer years best? Can I expand to newer donor Explorers without getting more complicated?

Also, with my OBDI stock truck and the Explorer's OBDII, can I simply run the Ex's harness on the motor, leave my cab harness alone? Which harness reports to my gauges?

From what I've gathered, the R2 trans will mate to motor but will need holes drilled another 1/8th; is this correct? I've also heard the Explorer's fuel tank pressure/EVAP system wont pair w/ my truck, but can just be installed and capped?
And I'm told the Explorer's PCM will need a re-flash to allow for the manual trans and that pre-'94 Mustang motor mounts are best, is this right?

Question overload, I know. :) What other speed bumps should I look out for in install? Which of my 4.0's accessories can I reuse? Honestly, its all been replaced in the last year anyhow, as I was on a mission to get to 500k with this OG motor...

Any knowledge from a veteran in these swaps would be greatly appreciated, and my build/swap will be posted in detail.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
You should probably start your own thread, as "your questions" are not answering any of jacobjw's questions

Kind of the way forums work the best, and the way you found this thread with a search for "V8 Swap" info
If all V8 questions were all in one 10,000 post long thread it would very hard to search, lol

Quick answers
Yes, M5R2 from a 1997-2003 4.2l has metric size holes, 302 engine used SAE bolts so holes need to be enlarged a bit

OBD1 and OBD2 is computer software, but yes there will be some rewiring, instrument cluster can be used as is, just need to hook up temp and oil senders wires on V8, also tach wire if you have one

1996/7 Explorer V8 computers do not have PATS(passive anti-theft system), 1998-2001 do, just another layer of wiring to deal with in those later years
1996-2001 Explorer V8s only came with automatics, but can be used as is with manual trans, it will just turn on the CEL(Check engine light) but it will run fine
Yes, you can have auto trans test removed and also PATS test

EVAP on 1986-1994 is way different than 1996-2001, but there are ways it can work, this won't effect engine operation

Please do not respond here, just start a new thread

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals