• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

whats the difference between 4r44e and 4r55e

rangerboy92

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
3.0 liter
Transmission
Automatic
i have a 1996 ranger with the 4r44e auto trans and i think it going through its last miles. i was thinking about putting a 4r55e in the truck as a replacement/ upgrade but don't know if that would work. Now from looking around i cant find any thing that jumps out at me as different other than than the 4r55e is for the 4.0. If i am not wrong it should bolt up to the engine but don't know about the torque converter and flex plate. I know that some people will say swap the whole drive train for something better but i don't really have the money right now and kinda like the 3.0. any help with this is much appreciated.

Surrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
the 4r55e engages its overdrive in two gears, rather than just one, to give you a 5th gear (between 1 and 2 I believe)

Have you checked through the tech library for info on this subject?
http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/AutoTrans.shtml

If I was to guess, I would say the 3.0 is in a league of its own, and doesn't match up to the other v6 trannys, probably need a tranny from another 3.0.

The page on IDing an automatic in the tech library does list a 5-speed tranny for the 3.0 from like 2001-09. Unless the 3.0 changed at some point (I know there are two 4.0s, for instance) thats probably your best bet.

That being said, I've never had a 3.0 and thus know very little about them, so Im not really sure.

1issueonly

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Automatic
What I have found is the 4R44E can handle 440 ft lbs of torque and the 4R55E can handle 550. Just cant figure the difference.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
A 4.0 trans will not bolt to a 3.0. The bellhousings are different.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
This thread is ancient but the 4r55e is not 5 speed. 4r44e and 4r55e are both 4 speed just the 55 is HD. The 5r44e and 5r55e are fake 5 speeds. Identical transmissions, only the computer in the truck changed.

The difference between the 44re and 55re on EITHER is some heavier duty parts, the one I know for sure is the OD drum, but all parts from all 4 models are 100% interchangeable

At the core the 4r44e, 4r55e, 5r44e, 5r55e, and a4ld are the same trans. Even the c3 is essentially the same the c3 just has zero computer or overdrive and the a4ld has "some" computer and an overdrive. The 4r/5r are full computer w/ overdrive.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
necro thread for sure.

What I have found is the 4R44E can handle 440 ft lbs of torque and the 4R55E can handle 550. Just cant figure the difference.
thats output torque post converter multiplication.....otherwise known as a useless rating.

This thread is ancient but the 4r55e is not 5 speed. 4r44e and 4r55e are both 4 speed just the 55 is HD. The 5r44e and 5r55e are fake 5 speeds. Identical transmissions, only the computer in the truck changed.

The difference between the 44re and 55re on EITHER is some heavier duty parts, the one I know for sure is the OD drum, but all parts from all 4 models are 100% interchangeable

At the core the 4r44e, 4r55e, 5r44e, 5r55e, and a4ld are the same trans. Even the c3 is essentially the same the c3 just has zero computer or overdrive and the a4ld has "some" computer and an overdrive. The 4r/5r are full computer w/ overdrive.

some parts need to be a set......suns/planets ect....

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals