• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What's up with this new Ranger of mine? 4.10 on a 4x2?

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
If memory serves (I'd have to look at the door tag, too lazy) the '90 came from the factory with 195 70 14's so that did help, what was fun was when I went to 235 70 15's with the 3.08's back in the day... 5th gear was utterly useless... was back to good when I put my $15 3.73:1 axle in (poor college kid, I took what I could get) which held me over until I converted to 4x4 with the factory 4.10's from the '89 frame, now running 5.13's...

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Definitely 4.10 gears in the thing, stops accelerating around 20mph in first gear and rev limit kicks in at 50mph in second... I'll plug in 27" tires and 4.10 gears in my spreadsheet at work tomorrow but the speedo is accurate so it doesn't really matter... I'll see how it drives to work tomorrow.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Just an update, it and I are getting better acquainted and even though I'm not used to 100hp anymore it isn't too bad... this transmission is TIGHT, comparing the noises my '90 makes to this is night and day... actually clicks into gear nice and crisp (the shift gate did change at one point though, I know the pins went from E/W to N/S at some point), no play in the shift bushing, added some duct tape to the steel stub of the shifter so the shift knob stays in place for now (since the "universal" knob I had on hand doesn't have a big enough hole, has inserts to make it smaller though?).

I did do the math and confirmed the speedo with a GPS, with the 27" tires and 4.10's it's turning 2700rpm at 67ish mph which is up there but should be fine. When I get new tires in the near future assuming I still like it I'll probably go to something a little taller...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals