• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

whats your favorite "all terrain" tire

swynx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
its about time to buy new tires for the 2002 grand cherokee. its the daily driver, but we do go where there are feet of snow, and some casual trails, were surrounded by a lot of mountains. its not meant to be an offroader, but it does have limited slips front and rear and does not need a full on offroad tire, nor do i want your casual all season/all terrain tire.

i was gonna buy the budget boost for it and go up to around a 31" tire. a 31" equivelant for a 17" wheel is 265/75r17, but i might consider some different 15" wheels, because i already have a set of those.

that being said the most aggresive tire i have considered is the procomp mt, because ive seen several sets go 40-50k miles. im really looking for something more along the lines of the good year wrangler duratrac, or the goodyear wrangler authority.

i know there are quite a few tires around now days with these moderate patterns/lug style, on the aggresive all terrain side, but i know that im forgetting a bunch. theres so many tires out there now days i cant seem to find them all.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
I got KO2s.

No complaints.

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
I have Cooper Discoverer ATP on my Expedition. I've been happy with Cooper tires. I had the Cooper Discoverer STT PRO's on my last truck.

Last edited:

RangerFabWorks

The O.G blackwidow67
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Cooper discoverer at3 on my wires truck. Love them

Have wrangler duretracs on my ram. I like them except in the rain. And they are a tad noisy

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
I had Nitto ATs. on my sport trac. Never took it off road, but never got stuck either.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
The Toyo R/T seems like a good tire with a semi-aggressive A/T tread pattern. Buddy of mine has them on his Explorer.

I have Toyo M/Ts on my Ranger... they are the first set of tires that are actually round that I've had in quite some time. I would expect the R/T to be similar in that regard (been through plenty of Goodyears and some BFGs... I certainly won't buy Goodyear again).

I recently put General Grabber X3s on my BII since I couldn't get Toyos in my size. They're good too (with very thick sidewalls), though they too are not quite as smooth-riding as Toyo's tires.

8thTon

--- Banned ---
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
My world is filled with stuff that needs to be fixed
The Toyo R/T seems like a good tire with a semi-aggressive A/T tread pattern. Buddy of mine has them on his Explorer.

I have Toyo M/Ts on my Ranger... they are the first set of tires that are actually round that I've had in quite some time. I would expect the R/T to be similar in that regard (been through plenty of Goodyears and some BFGs... I certainly won't buy Goodyear again).

I recently put General Grabber X3s on my BII since I couldn't get Toyos in my size. They're good too (with very thick sidewalls), though they too are not quite as smooth-riding as Toyo's tires.
My Ranger came with new Goodyear Wrangler Radials. I have not willingly owned Goodyears since well into last century because I like round tires - the other shapes just don't work as well. Still, they are working quite well for cheap tires, at least on pavement. The sidewalls look awful thin and soft. I've been happy with Cooper Tires so that is probably what it will get next, or MasterCraft (made by Cooper).

black_demon69

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Cooper discoverer at3 on my wires truck. Love them

Have wrangler duretracs on my ram. I like them except in the rain. And they are a tad noisy
Got the Cooper discoverer at3 as well good tire w/65,000 mile warranty

RoofHopper

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Stock
Total Drop
Stock
Go with the coopers, I replaced a set of KO2s with 30k miles on them because they wouldn't hold the road above 40 MPH in any sort of slick condition

swynx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i have noticed that ive seen a lot of goodyear tires with weak sidewalls, i dont want that. we currently have the cooper discoverer discoverer at3. ive made a few long drives in a blizzard with them, zero issues. probably saw 100 cars in the ditch on my 12 hour drive back, but i never had any freak moments.

i have been eye balling something like the toyo r/t but, they look like some brodozer tire. i have always been a fan of cooper tires

kind of intrigued by something like the kumho road venture as well. maybe a dick cepek fun country?

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Dont get kumhos. Ive had buddys run them and they are garbage. Puncture easy, dont grip well, and seem to just be inferior quality.

Never ran cepeks.

But im tellin ya, BFG A/Ts or the sligtly tamer rugged trails are very hard to beat.

I have had 4 sets over the years (2 KOs and 2 KO2s) and i have NEVER had an issue. Never had one puncture, never got stuck with them, no weird treadwear, whatever. They do get kinda noisy at slower speeds (20-40mph) but they arnt bad.

I got rugged trails on the wifes escape. They do well in snow and normal driving, never had them on anything else.

But she puts alot of miles on and they seem to be wearing like iron.

97ranger xlt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
kind of intrigued by something like the kumho road venture as well. maybe a dick cepek fun country?
i've been running the kumho road venture at 51's for over 2 years now. no complaints about performance on
wet or dry pavement and very very good in snow..they are snow/mountain rated. don't usually go off road so no
good experience there. they replaced firestone destination a/t's which were also a very good tire but got
too pricey. would love bfg ko2's s but they are crazy priced in my area...

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
I just put Dick Cepek Trail Country EXP's 265/75/16 on my truck. I have only driven them on surface streets at this point... about 1000 miles. They are E rated and I was concerned about the ride. But I have them at 30psi and i have to say that the ride is really good... they make a little noise but that has to be expected with the tread design. I will also say that judging by the amount of weight they used... they balanced well. These are... according to Cepek a cross between a mud terrain and an all terrain and are M+S rated. They also have a 45,000 mile warranty.

What really sold me was the deal that I got from 4WP. When I bought them they had $100 off a set of 4. Well I bought 5 and they gave me $25 off the fifth too. At the time of purchase Dick Cepek had a $100 rebate on a set of 4. I also bought 5 Pro Comp series 69 wheels that had 25% off if you bought 4.... They gave me 25% of the fifth wheel too. They also had a deal where they paid all the sales tax on my order. I also purchased their road hazard warranty for $92... it covers free rotation and balancing for the life of all 5 tires and free replacement up to 50% of tread wear.

So... at the end of that purchase I got 5 wheels... 5 tires... 28 splined lug nuts (yes the gave me 3 spare lug nuts)... 5 extra valve stems (yes they gave me 5 spare valve stems)... road hazard warranty... mounted and balanced for under $1100. I couldn't touch that deal anywhere.

I just looked at the 4WP website.... they have $100 off a set of 4 tires and they are paying the sales tax too. No more Dick Cepek rebate though.

Edit... I forgot to mention... Dick Cepeck and Mickey Thompson tires are made by Cooper... right here in the USA

Last edited:

Craig0320

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Break it right the first time. Fix it better the next time.
Dont get kumhos. Ive had buddys run them and they are garbage. Puncture easy, dont grip well, and seem to just be inferior quality.
I bought a brand new set of kumho a/t's. Belt busted on the first one at 2,500 miles. A second belt busted at 5k. I took them off and bought a set of general grabber at2's. 30k later and plenty of tread with plenty of grip in 4wd.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If you want coopers and have a fleet far around you I see they do buy 3 get one free sales on them from time to time.

I have AT3's on my F-150, they are ok. Not really awesome at anything and not really bad at anything.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals