• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Wheel Horse Mower

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...

We dun did some mowing today.
Aint it cool lookin out over a real hood? Instead of that slopey plastic shit every lawn "tractor" uses today?

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have a 1967 110 John Deere--first ever consumer model Deere. 8hp Kohler and steel rear fenders. I also have an old Swisher Ride King--a 3-wheel thing with a 5hp Tecumseh. In my own yard these aren't serious machines, but I love them. I have a Toro 345 with a 72" deck and a new Cub Cadet zero turn with a 60" to cut grass. I still rely on a Craftsmen garden tractor I bought months before my oldest (19) so was born to cut trails and tow things. It has a 25hp Kohler and a Hydrogear 3010 (I think) but the rest of it is mostly welding rod by now. For serious stuff, I have a hammer-knife mower on my track loader that will mulch a tree.

I always wanted a Wheel Horse exactly as you have there. I love those things.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
I like the classics, but I need something bigger than they will do, I've been tempted... I ended up getting a '97 gear drive big wheel Craftsman with 18.5hp Kohler and 46" cut a couple weeks ago from a CVT belt drive MTD that wouldn't take the abuse...

I did just get a couple classic Snapper 28" riders though today, kinda silly but will cut my rough terrain decent while being able to go around dang near anything

Your mower is pretty sweet, one day I'll get something cool but right now I just need to get the grass down reliably... a month ago my rider broke and my finish mower for the tractor lost a spindle, with ~3 acres of grass I needed something, was down to the brush hog but it's rough on the yard...

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Your mower is pretty sweet, one day I'll get something cool but right now I just need to get the grass down reliably... a month ago my rider broke and my finish mower for the tractor lost a spindle, with ~3 acres of grass I needed something, was down to the brush hog but it's rough on the yard...
Been there done that. Getting under trees is not fun, my bush hog is a pull type so it isn't that maneuverable too.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
We've trimmed around 2 miles of fence row so far with that little saw, so we can get all of our tractors and the Gleaner closer to the edge of the fields by our houses. It really was a good buy for the price. I do advise to only have the one battery for it unless you're young and full of spit and vinegar. By the time the single battery is dead, you're pretty much done for the day after wielding the saw and dragging/piling brush.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
I have 3 of the Lynxx tools, pole saw, leaf blower and now the chainsaw... all through open box deals, I have $200 in all of that and one of them came with an extra battery that it wasn't supposed to have... :) I've only had the chainsaw for a week but the other two for a few months and they are both great, I used the pole saw for an hour trimming apple trees and used one bar of the battery... The blower is amazing for bonfires :)

My tractor is a '74 Kubota L260 so it's vintage but it has a 3 point and PTO (4 speed at that) so it's a workhorse... last time I was mowing apparently my tractor chain escaped out the bucket so I gotta find it before I mow again this weekend...

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My tractor is a '74 Kubota L260 so it's vintage but it has a 3 point and PTO (4 speed at that) so it's a workhorse... last time I was mowing apparently my tractor chain escaped out the bucket so I gotta find it before I mow again this weekend...
"Vintage" :sneaky:

I have three point for it, it is on the WD-45 right now. I have been tearing out fence with the three point boom.

Those two tractors don't sit very much, if I am not running one I am usually doing something with the other. Ran 3/4 of a tank of gas thru the '45 pushing snow this winter.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
My brother has 3 super A's, an M, a handful of AC B's, and some walking tractors from who knows when. I don't consider the kubota vintage but some people think 90's is vintage... I'll see if I can acquire one of the B's one day and put a belly mower on it, that'd be pretty sweet and functional.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
My brother has 3 super A's, an M, a handful of AC B's, and some walking tractors from who knows when. I don't consider the kubota vintage but some people think 90's is vintage... I'll see if I can acquire one of the B's one day and put a belly mower on it, that'd be pretty sweet and functional.
Usually "Vintage" means something is old enough to be an antique. 1990 was 29 years ago already, the cutoff for an antique is 25....

:dunno:

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Yeah, I know, it seems like the 90's were just yesterday but they were nearly 20 years ago... what a simpler time :). Also that means I am getting older... To many at least in the tractor world from what I've found it isn't vintage unless it was made in the 50's or older... but then there's the younger crowd that think anything from the 90's is too old and not reliable...

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
the 90' are the new 70's.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yeah, I know, it seems like the 90's were just yesterday but they were nearly 20 years ago... what a simpler time :). Also that means I am getting older... To many at least in the tractor world from what I've found it isn't vintage unless it was made in the 50's or older... but then there's the younger crowd that think anything from the 90's is too old and not reliable...
I was kind of ribbing you a little there, I didn't mean anything by it.

I get that with my '85 at car shows. Lots of older people think newer stuff is junk, lots of younger people think older stuff is junk... and 80's/90's is kinda caught right in the threshold of going the same way for both camps. And then others think 80's stuff is easy to get cheap in good shape since it is so "new" and is an easy cop out to get a show winner. I about loled when I heard that as I was in the middle of fixing my floor pan and torque box.

Lots of people are getting upset because the "classic" tractor market is starting to get soft. The people that grew up with 40's and 50's iron is dying out. I grew up with mine, I have a picture of me riding on my B at 2 years old with my dad. I am weird, few other people in their mid 30's are thinking "man, I outta get an old tractor" Time is marching on, lots more 60's and 70's iron is being restored because people have the connection to that their forefathers had to the 30's-50's stuff. We are doing brakes and buttoning up a few leaks on a 1971 JD 4020 that is off to the paint shop after it leaves here for a $5k+ paint job. Did a couple 1066's over the winter for another guy that are going to get repainted.

My car club started out as a Model A club, the show was called "Model A day" when they got started back in the 70's. Now we might get one or two Model A's in our whole 300 car car show. Things change.

Now if 'Cudas would just hurry up and get cheap...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals