• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

When is it not a Ranger anymore?

bmerr98

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 X
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Leave it better than you found it.
...by the time you get done modifying a vehicle to be setup for crawling, there really isn't much left of the actual vehicle by the time you get done cutting and removing and modifying the body to accept all the non-factory parts.
Please don't misunderstand...I am not knocking all the mods and fabrication so many have done to their Rangers to transform them into rock crawling, trail dominating, fire breathing, lifted, swapped, chopped meat thirsty hog beasts. That stuff is awesome, and I'm forever being impressed by the work done by TRS forum members.

But like wildbill said, there often isn't much left of the original once all these mods are done. So is there a point at which it stops being a Ranger and becomes a customized RBV (CRBV)? What point would that be?

I was thinking somewhere around the point where two or more major components/assemblies/systems are replaced with something other than what is available from a stock RBV. For example, a V8 swap would still be a Ranger, but V8 + SAS would be a CRBV.

Just looking for opinions. Feel free to disagree and I won't be mad if you do. Thought it might be a good topic for discussion.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
If it started as a ranger. Its always a ranger.

Unless you completely do a different body and frame, then it becomes something else. Buggy, truggy, etc.

But if all you do is cut the body/frame and add to it, I'd say its still a ranger.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO carbed with an np435 and np208
Transmission
Manual
Mines had a 5.0 swap and a SAS but will always be a ranger. It is built the way it should have been from the factory, at least what I think.

Hate to compare but it's like somebody getting all artificial limbs put on them, lots of plastic surgery, etc...when are they not human anymore (rhetorical question there).

What you are born, made, etc... as is what you will always be.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
My 96 has a V8 swap, one tons and 47's, about to get 9 tons and 49's, still streetable in my area, and still a ranger. Father in law has an 02 jeep tj I'm building, but its got a supercharged ford 5.0, ford trans and tcase, and superduty axles, only thing left to that thats jeep is the body, which it'll still be called a jeep, but I'll be slapping powered by Ford on the windshield before it leaves my shop.
until you cut the cab off and replace it with tube, even a tube bed, its still a ranger in my eyes. Highly customized, yeah, but still a ranger :icon_thumby:

SVT

det107

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Try to register the vehicle and/ or get insurance for it. Just watch the expressions on the clerk's face........right there will be your answer-

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
If it started off as a Ranger.......it will always be an RBV!! Forever!!!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals