• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Where can I get 4.10s and LSD for my 7.5?

tcbaklash

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Title says it all. I see a lot of these online for Mustangs, but will they work with my truck? I've never worked on axles before.

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you're not making mistakes, you're not learning.
Pretty sure it's the same. Be sure to do some reading about installing gears if you're planning on tackling this yourself and be sure you have the tools. It's not the most beginner friendly thing to do.

tcbaklash

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Pretty sure it's the same. Be sure to do some reading about installing gears if you're planning on tackling this yourself and be sure you have the tools. It's not the most beginner friendly thing to do.
I'm pretty short on space to work on the truck, so I was planning on having a pro do it for me. Are there any brands that you would recommend?

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
They're all pretty good. Actual ford gears are supposedly quieter, but I doubt the other big names are noticeably louder.

As for a good LSD, if you don't already have one, Tru-trac. But make sure the 4.10's will fit and you won't have cross-pin problems. May need to grind the top corner of a tooth off, which won't hurt at all unless it's into the contact patch, a good shop would recognize that anyways. The top part of the tooth doesn't actually do anything strength wise, but it's got to end somewhere past the contact patch, so again, perfectly safe to grind a tooth corner. I did that on my 4.56's for my 8.8.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.slow
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
To each his own.
I also want/need 4.10 LS. Wouldn't it be easier to find an entire rear end from a junk yard ?

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
For good LSD consult your local drug dealer.

cp2295

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L swap, 8.8 explorer axle, IFS front end
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you ain't first you're last
Dont waste money on a 7.5", get an explorer posi axle for cheap from the junkyard and weld some perches and shock mounts on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Dont waste money on a 7.5", get an explorer posi axle for cheap from the junkyard and weld some perches and shock mounts on it.

7.5" does just fine if you don't do foolish things to it. Which goes for any axle really.

Not everyone has access to a welder and the know how to put an Explorer axle in. A Ranger 8.8 is easier anyways, and will also do just fine unless you're really beating on it. A junkyard L/S from a Ranger would be a good economical choice.

I wouldn't use LSD, it can cause problems with your install.

cp2295

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
A l/s and a lsd are the same thing? Anyways a ranger 8.8 and a 7.5 are the same strength, yes the ring gear is bigger but thats not where the issue resides, its the axleshafts/spider assemblies, on the ranger both are 28 spline and have the same diameter, whereas an explorer is 31 spline and has much bigger shaft diameter.

I blew up a 7.5 as soon as i got my 4.0 swapped in, had just done new shaft bearings and seals and everything looked great when i had the 3.0 in it, but within a couple months of the 4.0 being in the spider gears blew up.

But u are correct if he just drives it normally then there shouldnt be an issue with a 7.5, however if he's putting a posi in it then he's been in/planning to get into situations where he needs posi and in my experience you usually gotta give it to her in those situations..

http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/axle_codes.shtml

Read there if ya dont believe me

Last edited:

planeflyer21

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

x2 Totally agree with this.

Upgrade to disc brakes on the rear, boost up your axle strength and load capacity in one whomp.

Back in my Mil-Surp days, I had a Dodge M770 I was insistent on keeping stock when I needed to rebuild the engine. For what a replacement Carter 2-barrel carb cost me, I could have bought a Weber 4-barrel and Edlebrock manifold for like $50 less.

heavy breather

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
You should be able to find a axle from a FX ranger that has a limited slip in the 4:10. You need to look for your axle in two places. 1st go to the world wide interweb and fire up you google search engine, type in Car-part.com. Search for a rear axle assy out of a 2003 Ranger with a 8.8 ring gear and 10" brakes and the gear ratio you want, like 4.10. I have read and been told that both the FX4 Level II and the FX4 without the level II are 31 spline with limited slip differentials, but the axle with Level II is a better limited slip.

By doing this you can find out what salvage yards in your area have the axle you want, and see what they are selling them for. Also its handy to know, that if you have a commercial address with a dock or a fork lift, they can ship you an axle for about $150.00- $200.00 depending on how far away. Without the Dock or fork lift, its $200.00 plus. I am talking a state or two away. Calling your local yard with that information in mind will help you get the best deal. For example, if your local yard wants to sell you the axle for $800.00 but there is an axle 10 hours away, for $500.00, you are cheaper shipping one in if you have access to a fork lift or dock and a commercial address. It does not hurt to ask the local yard in a nice way if they will sell you the axle for the same price, or at least match the shipped in price. The longer an item has been in inventory, the more they want and need to sell it, so don't be an ass, but be smart about how you negotiate with them.

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
A l/s and a lsd are the same thing? Anyways a ranger 8.8 and a 7.5 are the same strength, yes the ring gear is bigger but thats not where the issue resides, its the axleshafts/spider assemblies, on the ranger both are 28 spline and have the same diameter, whereas an explorer is 31 spline and has much bigger shaft diameter.

I blew up a 7.5 as soon as i got my 4.0 swapped in, had just done new shaft bearings and seals and everything looked great when i had the 3.0 in it, but within a couple months of the 4.0 being in the spider gears blew up.

But u are correct if he just drives it normally then there shouldnt be an issue with a 7.5, however if he's putting a posi in it then he's been in/planning to get into situations where he needs posi and in my experience you usually gotta give it to her in those situations..
Play on words, LSD = Lysergic acid diethylamide. AKA, acid.

And yes, the spider gears are the weak spot in 7.5". There was one member here that welded his 7.5" and used it for his desert truck. He had built a nice 9" for when the 7.5" finally broke, but 2.5 years had passed and the 9" was still sitting in his garage. Those are the only soft spot in a 7.5". Taking the spider gears out of the equation and it's a really strong axle.

He does have a 4.0 swap from his sig. So you do have some points about situations and having to get on it. Still other variables though, maybe he just wants a little extra traction is wet grass? That's been my Rangers nemesis on several occasions.

x2 Totally agree with this.

Upgrade to disc brakes on the rear, boost up your axle strength and load capacity in one whomp.
Disk brakes are overrated (though easier to work on, I'll say that), as well as the 31 spline stuff. A Ranger axle with 10" drums will do just fine unless you getting into big power, big tires or deep mud.

Last edited:

cp2295

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Play on words, LSD = Lysergic acid diethylamide. AKA, acid.

And yes, the spider gears are the weak spot in 7.5". There was one member here that welded his 7.5" and used it for his desert truck. He had built a nice 9" for when the 7.5" finally broke, but 2.5 years had passed and the 9" was still sitting in his garage. Those are the only soft spot in a 7.5". Taking the spider gears out of the equation and it's a really strong axle.

He does have a 4.0 swap from his sig. So you do have some points about situations and having to get on it. Still other variables though, maybe he just wants a little extra traction is wet grass? That's been my Rangers nemesis on several occasions.

Disk brakes are overrated (though easier to work on, I'll say that), as well as the 31 spline stuff. A Ranger axle with 10" drums will do just fine unless you getting into big power, big tires or deep mud.

Oh hahaha damn i got caught in that joke, anyways ya for sure i see what ya mean i was just saying there'd be no real reason to swap a ranger 8.8 into that truck, unless maybe if it had an lsd. I don't have any experience with the lsd spider gears maybe they are stronger?

Anyways i kind of agree on the disc brake talk, its definitely a bonus don't get me wrong but it shouldn't be the deciding factor imo plus i forgot to mention he would not necessarily have to but would be wise to swap an explorer master cylinder in too. The explorer discs are tiny compared to the ranger 10" brakes, i did notice a bit better stopping power tho and obviously much less brake fade.

31 spline is necessary if you like clutch dumps too [emoji23][emoji6][emoji106]

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals