• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Which Aussie locker? 1997 TTB (UPDATE)

USCGC130

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5.5"
okay after thinking for a second and reading more reviews I just said screw the time frame and get what seems to be a better option and got the Aussie I did order the 13527... so I’ll get the scoop on this and check the measurement and I’ll cancel or return the lock-right. I really have to learn to be more patient! I think I’ll be happier in the long run with the Aussie plus I’ll get to collect a little more information for this thread.

4x4Junkie I appreciate your recommendation on the 13527 and know you’re super knowledgeable so with your advice and my own investing I chose to start with the 13527

Last edited:

USCGC130

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5.5"
Actually I have a question that one of you may know. The lock-rights for sale on TRS store, one says for use with ABS and the other says for NON-ABS. What is the difference in the locker? I can sort of see that maybe ABS could play into the locker but not sure. Does anyone know what is specifically different between an ABS locker and a nonABS locker?

turbo91xlt

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year

Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The Aussie XD-13527 is correct for the Dana 35 TTB and is what I ordered for my truck. Already have an Aussie in the Explorer 8.8 in the rear and love it so a matching front was only logical. I ordered mine directly through them over black friday weekend and got $25 off retail which was the cheapest I could find.

Last edited:

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I'm not aware of any difference between the early D35s... up to '94 or so, they're all the same except 93 up has ABS but it's just sensors in the knuckles and tone rings on the brake rotors. Nothing related to the diff at all. I've never had a 4x4 RBV made between 95 and 97 so I can't say for sure if there's any difference in the differential itself.

USCGC130

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5.5"
So my front doesn’t have ABS, I only have rear ABS. I was kind of surprised when I pulled the whole front end out for the lift and there wasn’t a single wire.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
I am not aware of any differences internal to the differential on ABS vs non-ABS axles either. :dunno:
I think the XD-13527 would work fine for you either way. Like Shran says, the differences are all out at the wheel ends AFAIK.

4WABS was standard on many '95, '96 models (all 4WD and 4.0L IIRC), but was made optional again on '97s, supposedly to give people more cost options.

USCGC130

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5.5"
Alright well i got the aussie locker in (XD-13527) but it doesnt fit! lol i had a 50/50 shot and it ended up being the wrong one. As you cn see in the picture my original side gear and shim are smaller than the aussie locker i ordered. so i am now sending it back to get the correct one (XD-13530). so that diagram with the 2 measurements below is correct, also if i would have ordered it in accordance with my BOM # it would have been right. But live and learn and now we can pass the word to use the BOM chart for ordering, but it is interesting that there is such a variance in our front diffs. so i ordered a new one tonight and am in contact with aussie to get this one back to them for a refund, just sucks ill have to pay shipping. see pictures below for the size reference and you can see the shim from my gear sitting on the aussie and it will not fit over it.

in addition pulling my front diff was a real PIA with my skyjacker lift, i could not get that damn pumkin out with out pulling both pivot bolts and pushing the passenger arm up and out of the way and then dropping the drivers arm down to get it past the drop bracket, in the long run this will make it easier to get it all back in but it was super frustrating to get out, not sure if anyone else has come across this. Its all out now and i have some odds and ends to do until i get the new locker in.

I also talked to 4x4junkie about the Ujoint replacment, for some reason i 2nd guessed myself it all 3 front joints fit the new 5-760X joint but he confirmed they do, and i also asked about snap rings, i have read on other sites that people say go with .060 thick snap rings (for 30mm ring) vs the common .050 thick (for 1 3/16 ring) so i got them both and compared them and there is a noticable difference in thickness but i plan to try to go with the thicker rings since the groove in the joint is .070. But 44Junkie said he has probably used the .050 ones through the years and never had an issue.

IMG_0743.jpg
IMG_0742.jpg
IMG_0744.jpg
BF9CA0F2-614B-4AF8-83BA-5DAF820889D9.jpg

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Alright well i got the aussie locker in (XD-13527) but it doesnt fit! lol i had a 50/50 shot and it ended up being the wrong one. As you cn see in the picture my original side gear and shim are smaller than the aussie locker i ordered. so i am now sending it back to get the correct one (XD-13530). so that diagram with the 2 measurements below is correct, also if i would have ordered it in accordance with my BOM # it would have been right. But live and learn and now we can pass the word to use the BOM chart for ordering, but it is interesting that there is such a variance in our front diffs. so i ordered a new one tonight and am in contact with aussie to get this one back to them for a refund, just sucks ill have to pay shipping. see pictures below for the size reference and you can see the shim from my gear sitting on the aussie and it will not fit over it.

in addition pulling my front diff was a real PIA with my skyjacker lift, i could not get that damn pumkin out with out pulling both pivot bolts and pushing the passenger arm up and out of the way and then dropping the drivers arm down to get it past the drop bracket, in the long run this will make it easier to get it all back in but it was super frustrating to get out, not sure if anyone else has come across this. Its all out now and i have some odds and ends to do until i get the new locker in.

I also talked to 4x4junkie about the Ujoint replacment, for some reason i 2nd guessed myself it all 3 front joints fit the new 5-760X joint but he confirmed they do, and i also asked about snap rings, i have read on other sites that people say go with .060 thick snap rings (for 30mm ring) vs the common .050 thick (for 1 3/16 ring) so i got them both and compared them and there is a noticable difference in thickness but i plan to try to go with the thicker rings since the groove in the joint is .070. But 44Junkie said he has probably used the .050 ones through the years and never had an issue.

View attachment 35625View attachment 35623View attachment 35624View attachment 35628
Thanks for posting. You have added a lot of info here that should help others in the future.

I must admit I don't think I considered thickness when I ordered my snap rings.

turbo91xlt

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year

Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Damn well sorry to miss lead you, that sucks. I did order mine for a '91 D35 though.

USCGC130

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5.5"
Damn well sorry to miss lead you, that sucks. I did order mine for a '91 D35 though.
Oh don’t feel bad it was a 50/50 shot and even the company wasn’t sure which one. I should get, but it’s just odd that the power trax guys dont run into this issue since it’s almost the same thing, anyways at least there is some good info about it now and I’m fine being the guinea pig

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Agreed, this is all good info that will hopefully make it into the Tech Library at some point here.

Now it's no longer making sense that Eric B successfully used the 13527 on his '93, All these years I've thought the '90-'92 D35s were one version, and the '93-'97s were the other, which has yet to ever trip me up in the junkyards :icon_confused: (there's not a reason to think Eric's truck has a swapped front diff from another year, is there? I'd ask for a BOM# but I also know the differential side can be separated from the passengerside where the BOM tag is, so unless he's the original owner, it wouldn't provide any guarantee).

I think I still have the carrier I removed from my '94 D35 axle laying around here (BOM 610419)... According to Aussie's chart, the XD13527 should fit this carrier also. It'll be interesting to see what the measurements are on the side gears that come out of this thing.
I'll report back on this tomorrow if I can find it.

On the snap rings... I bought mine at Home Depot back around 2004. I never checked them, but they likely are .050" thick ones. I've never once had any issues with them, so either they are .060" and I just don't know it, or that small little bit of difference doesn't matter.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
I can't guarantee that mine was original. I bought the truck from my brother in law, thinking he was the original owner. I recently found out he bought it used. On the other hand, through all the work I did under that truck, everything looked original. I would be willing to bet big money that I'm driving on the original D35. If I think of it this weekend, I'll look for the label on it.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Well, I guess there's less reason to doubt Eric's diff is original...

I found my old '94 carrier, took the gears out and whaddayaknow:
d35 side gear.jpg

So now I'm wondering if '95 was the changeover year?

Anyone have a '95 or '96 Ranger carrier laying around they can measure? (or alternatively, anyone with said years have a lunchbox locker up front, and can confirm what pt# locker you used?)

(hoping we can soon get to the bottom of this)

turbo91xlt

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year

Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I have a '96 axle I just picked up the other week for the brakes. Ill be tearing apart in the next few weeks to regear it. Hopefully it takes the 13527 locker. If not Ill be regearing my '91 diff from my STX to install in the '96 beams. But Id rather use the '96 diff as its less corroded then the '91 lol.

USCGC130

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5.5"
Hey Guys i figured i would post back here and let you all know that i got the locker in, front drive shafts done with all 5-760X U joints and full clips, although if i do it again im going to just tack weld the caps, becasue grinding those down takes time and was kind of annoying, also if i do it again i would just go with the standard 1-3/16 full clips they are .050 thick vs the 30MM clips that are .060 thick, that little bit of extra play makes them easier to get on. I also did all new wheel bearings, inside bearing seals, diff axles seals, brake rotors and pads, external E-clip eliminator and threw on the Warn jeep manual hubs i also radiused the yoke a little and opened up the passenger side window. So the front end sould be good to go, plus when i was at the junk yard pulling 1 ton axles for my buddies jeep i found 2 spare sets on front outter axles and spindles, so ill clean those up and carry one sety for on the trail and just end up buying the inner axle sice i didnt want to try to get that clip out. one set came from an explorer and the other from a 97 ranger, im pretty sure they are identical, but ill measure.

As for the locker i did end up needing the XD-13530 it went in with only one little hiccup but it was an easy fix for my stupid mistake, i didn't line up the cut outs on it, so i just had to pull the springs and 180 one of the gears. i also decided to run heavier oild i believe 85-140, to help keep it quiet and in hopes that if there was any leak that the thicker oil will have a harder time escaping. but with all that done its time for a shake down and only a couple other little mods before the BAJA trip! this truck is really coming along.

so we know that for a front aussie locker that 1996-97 for sure need the XD-13530 and somewhere in 94-95 was the change over

Thanks for all the help

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals