• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Which Ranger should I buy?

Ranger_XL

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XL
Transmission
Manual
I'm sorry, did you say "manual transmission"?

We're friends now.
Every vehicle I have ever owned (2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6, 1997 GMC Sonoma SLS, 2016 Chevrolet Spark LS, 2003 Ford F-250 Super Duty XL, 1994 Ford Ranger XL, 1996 Ford Ranger XL, and 2000 Ford F-250 Super Duty XL) has been equipped with a manual transmission.

ExploreNW

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
Tire Size
235/75/15
I'd say get the '96 2.3. Simple reason: OBD-II is your best friend if you're not a regular wrencher. Onboard diagnostics accessible through cheap easy handheld devices will tell you exactly what you're going to be swearing at for the next several hours. At least as long as the PCM itself isn't the problem. The OBD-1 on the '95-earlier (California-Only '95s got OBD-II) trucks is a bit clunkier and requisite diagnostic hardware is tougher to come by.

That said, perhaps it is not a question of which Ranger... but instead, how many Rangers?

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.
I'd say get the '96 2.3. Simple reason: OBD-II is your best friend if you're not a regular wrencher. Onboard diagnostics accessible through cheap easy handheld devices will tell you exactly what you're going to be swearing at for the next several hours. At least as long as the PCM itself isn't the problem. The OBD-1 on the '95-earlier (California-Only '95s got OBD-II) trucks is a bit clunkier and requisite diagnostic hardware is tougher to come by.

That said, perhaps it is not a question of which Ranger... but instead, how many Rangers?
I'd tend to.disagree. Obd1 vehicles are much easier to work with via diagnostics due to simplicity alone. Other advantage is tuning if you're so inclined.

stsalvage

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
i have 2 ranger
Make / Model
Ranger XLT exte
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.3
Transmission
Manual
Or spend a day doing a heater core swap.... Not every vehicle needs a heater core swap if they are taken care of.... That's a lot of personal preferences.... This will be a buyer preference for sure.... Sounds like it will be a daily driver so the 4 cyl would be the better choice as the 3.0's get terrible gas miles unless you have the 5 speed and even then its worse than most v8's lol. Although being a 4 cyl leaves you wanting more power.... Yeah its a fun truck until you are trying to merge onto 80mph freeways with dumb drivers that aren't getting over and you got the pedal to the floor struggling to hit 70..... At least the 3.0 has some get up and go. Don't let the haters tell you it's slow, most of the time it's just a stretched throttle cable which means yes it will be slow when full throttle gas pedal is only opening the throttle body half way....

I got a question when was the last time you drove a 100 HP 1984--1999 2.3 with 8 spark plugs I will day if your like getting your jolly's off praying if you can climb a steep hill without going more then 5 miles per hour You can mcloveen all you want on the 2.3 to me the 4.0 Is the only choice to have in a ranger with a 5 speed Its more dependable Plus you ever push a auto and get her started with a bad starter or a bad battery NOPE

stsalvage

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
i have 2 ranger
Make / Model
Ranger XLT exte
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.3
Transmission
Manual
ON the true Rangers that have survived. 1983--1987 will never make it in a Smog State So the second-gen Rangers from 1990--1994 that had the 4.0 and the none 2.9 engine and the none Air bag trucks.

Most of the trucks I've had any goodness from are from the 1989--94 Cus in 195 the EGR valve came back so did a lot of BS If you want a truck you can work on and have around for a long time I like the 1990--1994 you know the dash is different in the 1994 from the 1995 And that is where your heater comes in. The guy that called me out on the heater core problem.

Question ?
What is the one thing in all cars and trucks that is not grounded and it should be. And why should it be grounded!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
I got a question when was the last time you drove a 100 HP 1984--1999 2.3 with 8 spark plugs I will day if your like getting your jolly's off praying if you can climb a steep hill without going more then 5 miles per hour You can mcloveen all you want on the 2.3 to me the 4.0 Is the only choice to have in a ranger with a 5 speed Its more dependable Plus you ever push a auto and get her started with a bad starter or a bad battery NOPE
ON the true Rangers that have survived. 1983--1987 will never make it in a Smog State So the second-gen Rangers from 1990--1994 that had the 4.0 and the none 2.9 engine and the none Air bag trucks.

Most of the trucks I've had any goodness from are from the 1989--94 Cus in 195 the EGR valve came back so did a lot of BS If you want a truck you can work on and have around for a long time I like the 1990--1994 you know the dash is different in the 1994 from the 1995 And that is where your heater comes in. The guy that called me out on the heater core problem.

Question ?
What is the one thing in all cars and trucks that is not grounded and it should be. And why should it be grounded!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just throwing this out there...

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
Question ?
The driver, because he was bad.

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
just a hour ago on the way home, with 4.10’s a 2.3 aint bad. no it aint no 4-litre but it doesnt do too bad. the roads havent been salty this week so Ive been enjoying my ranger and letting the hhr rest. I do miss the better heater and cruise control though.

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals