• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Worst A4LD Years - Poll

What year A4LD did you have fail?

Votes: 19 7.9%

Votes: 15 6.2%

Votes: 25 10.3%

Votes: 45 18.6%

Votes: 18 7.4%

Votes: 21 8.7%

Votes: 15 6.2%

Votes: 17 7.0%

Votes: 29 12.0%

Votes: 38 15.7%

• Total voters

jrpdash9

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I had one in my 88 b2 and the only problem I had was the 4 gear sylonid (?) It was a 3 speed for awhile :)

Braindead

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
84, 85, 94, 97
Make / Model
Rangers
Engine Size
8"electric, 2.3, 4.0-OHV, 4.0-OHV
My credo
They say it can't be done, so I did it. Again
I just want the name and address of the genius that decided to base the overdrive automatic on the C3, as opposed to well, I dunno, ANYTHING else!?!?
You think they might have at least based it on the C4 maybe, but NOOOOO.
When I was young and full of not caring about bills, I had an idea to use an old top load 3 speed backward behind the regular transmission to be an external overdrive unit. As far as I can figure the thrust faces on the gears would be the same, but will it be lubed properly? Are they (3sp manual) just splash oiled? The stumbling block for my build was the fact that getting a machine shop to do splining was expensive, and would definitely cut into the beer fund. If I KNEW it would work, then ok, no worries, but nobody could give me an absolute answer. If anyone can tell methat it WILL work, I will grab the next C4 from a straight 6 F150 and get started. (separate set of bolts for the bell housing and the pump, stronger transmission)

pw2buz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
3.0 liter
Transmission
Automatic
My transmission went out at 263,737 miles (March 2012). Didn't complain, it lasted a long time. My truck is a 1993 XLT, bought used in 1998 at 122,000 miles.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
ive not really known of a RBV automatic that was worth a damn. in fact most auto's after they started offering O/D expecally with electronic controls seem to fail alot more than the old-school 3 speed units. and thats all manufactures, G.M. may be the worst. bring back the conventional 3 speed! ( if you must have a automatic at all)
This seems to be true...at least in my case my 1984 Ranger 4x2's 3 speed automatic survived several years of towing a 14 foot travel trailer all over the country and never had any problems.

The 93 Ranger 4x4 we had went through 2 of those transmissions after the 2nd one failed we got rid of the truck LOL.

Now my 1988 Bronco 2 has the A4LD transmission which is acting up of course, overdrive is kind of there, as long as you don't accelerate to the point it has to drop a gear or 2, then it kicks into neutral. If you start with the shifter in D it works absolutely fine until you need more power then it shifts to neutral again. Not sure what's going on, but taking it in this weekend so they can start in on it Monday. Depending on what they find I'm really thinking of having the transmission rebuilt and not messing around with it. They're going to have my B2 for a while as I'm having a few other issues taken care of as well while its there so I may as well have the thing done right the first time.

flathead4848

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
worst a4ld

I have a 93 ranger 3.0 engine has almost 400,000 on it but its had 6 trannies. l haven't figured out if I am going to replace it or get rid of it. In my area cant find one , looked on line cheapest I found was $1,000. Shops around here wont even rebuild it. I might keep it if I can find a stick and change it over

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
I have a 93 ranger 3.0 engine has almost 400,000 on it but its had 6 trannies. l haven't figured out if I am going to replace it or get rid of it. In my area cant find one , looked on line cheapest I found was $1,000. Shops around here wont even rebuild it. I might keep it if I can find a stick and change it over
The transmission shop (AAMCO) that rebuild mine last month knows the A4LD inside and out LOL, they apparently have seen a few of them. They also said there are several updates and upgrades they do to them when they rebuild them. My 88 B2 seems to be doing ok so far on the rebuild and I had the shop add a 6 row transmission cooler and I plan on adding a transmission temp gauge as soon as I can figure out how to hook it up, I've done the oil pressure, coolant temp, and volt gauge in an 84 B2 I used to have, but I've never done a transmission temp gauge.

35Remmy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
My 88 had 165k on it and was still running when it was rebuilt. The 2.9L blew a head gasket at 168k and I took her off the road and sold the transmission

mmerlinn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
93 & 93
Make / Model
Aerostar
Transmission
Automatic
The A4LD is an AWESOME transmission. I have two 1993 3.0L Aerostars, one with 430,000 miles and one with 332,000 miles. NEITHER transmission has been out of either van. Both have had only one fluid change. Everything is factory original in my Aerostars.

I typically overload the vans, often grossing out at 6,000 pounds. Been back and forth across the Rockies like that several times. Typically drive them 500 miles per week without ever needing to worry about breaking down.

That said, I sell transmission parts for a living. In the 90s A4LD parts fed me for years. The worst years were in the 80s when the forward and low planets were both aluminum. Those years the overdrive planet would twist off the sprag race and the two aluminum planets would melt when the transmission overheated.

The overdrive planet problem was solved in 1990. The forward planets were replaced with steel planets in 1990. The low planets were replaced with steel planets in 1990 for 4.0L engines and in 1993 for other engines.

As a result, the last two years (1993 & 1994) were almost bullet proof in all applications. My experience abusing my Aeros supports that statement. I fully expect to get at least a half a million miles on my A4LDs before I need to fix them.

Actually, if they bomb, I will just replace them. I have two spare 1993 Aerostar A4LDs in storage, both with under 100,000 original miles on them. I got them from two different wrecking yards because they are so good the wrecking yards could not sell them. I got them for $10 each directly out of the wrecking yard inventory, but have never needed them.

Since I have had no problems, and there was no button for me to push, I did not vote. However, based on my experience selling parts, the 80s were the worst, 90-92 much better, and 93-94 darn near bullet proof.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
The A4LD is an AWESOME transmission. I have two 1993 3.0L Aerostars, one with 430,000 miles and one with 332,000 miles. NEITHER transmission has been out of either van. Both have had only one fluid change. Everything is factory original in my Aerostars.

I typically overload the vans, often grossing out at 6,000 pounds. Been back and forth across the Rockies like that several times. Typically drive them 500 miles per week without ever needing to worry about breaking down.

That said, I sell transmission parts for a living. In the 90s A4LD parts fed me for years. The worst years were in the 80s when the forward and low planets were both aluminum. Those years the overdrive planet would twist off the sprag race and the two aluminum planets would melt when the transmission overheated.

The overdrive planet problem was solved in 1990. The forward planets were replaced with steel planets in 1990. The low planets were replaced with steel planets in 1990 for 4.0L engines and in 1993 for other engines.

As a result, the last two years (1993 & 1994) were almost bullet proof in all applications. My experience abusing my Aeros supports that statement. I fully expect to get at least a half a million miles on my A4LDs before I need to fix them.

Actually, if they bomb, I will just replace them. I have two spare 1993 Aerostar A4LDs in storage, both with under 100,000 original miles on them. I got them from two different wrecking yards because they are so good the wrecking yards could not sell them. I got them for $10 each directly out of the wrecking yard inventory, but have never needed them.

Since I have had no problems, and there was no button for me to push, I did not vote. However, based on my experience selling parts, the 80s were the worst, 90-92 much better, and 93-94 darn near bullet proof.
Well my 93 Ranger ate 2 A4LD's within a short couple year time span with very little light towing duties, so the 90's didn't fix them either. You've just been extremely lucky, then again your Aerostar has a 3L V6, the Ranger had the 4L V6 apparently too much power for an A4LD. Not sure how the 2.9L V6 Ranger and Bronco 2 would have enough power to tear up an A4LD but my Bronco 2's transmission I think was destroyed by the previous owner's improper towing behind an RV....when I picked it up he had just unhooked it from his RV, the hubs were locked in...so he'd towed it that way obviously...it had no overdrive when I got it....I just had it rebuilt to be on the safe side, I drove it a couple days before it was in the shop for a rebuild and it seemed like it was slipping pretty bad too. Its been fine for about 3-1/2 years since the rebuild, but I don't trust it after the 2 transmission failures in my 93 Ranger in 2 years. They claim you could tow like 5,000lbs with those 4L Rangers with the automatic, I think I may have towed maybe 2,000lbs at the most with that truck, so when the transmission failed the 2nd time I was far from impressed....I believe the knock off transmission shop that rebuilt it, did a pretty horrible job and must have used the cheapest parts they could manage to find...albeit probably used ones at that.

I'm hoping my current A4LD in the Bronco 2 lasts forever because the $2400 rebuild should have taken care of its failure points at least that's what AAMCO stated when they did the rebuild that they did updates and upgrades to it to keep it from failing again.

Bronco ii Man

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco ii
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
2.8 v6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
31x10.50-15
My 85 Bii done all well until thermostat stuck one day causing it to overheat. Changed thermostat all was good until about 2 days later! Blew out front seal. Dropped transmission replaced the seal, changed out all the fluid I could get to drain from tranny and converter. Didn’t smell burnt or discolored. Of course didn’t let the engine get to hot when it overheat! My gauge barely gets to a quarter way up anytime. Put in new filter also. Thought all was good! Cranked it up no problem going into gears, checked fluid it is good. Time for test drive. Well made it down the road about 2 1/2 miles and blew the front seal out again! Found an 84 ranger with a c-5 with some electrical issues for cheap. Switched transmission and solved my transmission problem’s until the converter messed up and wouldn’t lock up! Didn’t realize until it was to late! So done a manual transmission swap and love my Bii more than ever! My 2.8 doesn’t feel gutless anymore! Only 115hp brand new with the 2.3 putting out almost the same hp with 2 less cylinder’s. But the 2.8 is a good reliable engine! Not a lot of hp or a ton of torque. Just enough to carry ol’ girty wherever she wants to go! That’s my story and I’m sticking to it lol

4x4prepper

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
My 1995 A4LD failed in my 4.0L Aerostar after 183,000+ hard miles, I don't know if I can complain about that considering my wife one time ran it dry one time because of the (infamous) side leaking servo. A4LD lasted over 150,000 miles in my B2s and I went off road and hauled wood in the back of them, so, I can't complain.

They probably lasted so long because I did such things as change the fluid and filter in the Aerostar every 30,000 miles, which I had bought new. I think with the A4LD it was definitely a "pay me now or pay me later" transmission and could not suffer the abuse of poor maintenance like a C-6.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals