• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

WOT Relay Issue

hntr45

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
So I'm not exactly sure if my issue is the WOT relay or TPS because I don't really know how the WOT relay is supposed to work...

Anyways, I have a 97 ford ranger 2.3. With the AC on, it is to my knowledge that the WOT relay will open when you give the truck a certain amount of throttle for climbing hills, passing, etc. The issue I am having is that I will floor it with the AC on and the compressor continues to cycle. I've even had it where I was going downhill and it wouldn't cycle, but when I would start to go back up the hill, the compressor would kick in like it's reading in reverse... Seems to me like it would be WOT relay because I do have an issue where the AC clutch will engage with the heat on, not on defrost... but I also think it could be the TPS since it has to read throttle position..

Any suggestions?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
1997 Ranger WOT relay passes power to compressor's coil(clutch) when open(not powered).
Computer will power the WOT relay to cut power to the Compressor's coil

Power for the compressors' coil runs like this:

12volts---AC switch in dash---------pressure switch 1-----pressure switch 2-----WOT Relay(off)-----Compressor coil------Ground

So an open pressure switch or closed WOT relay(on) would cut power to compressor's coil

Not sure I understand your question completely.

Computer senses engine load from RPM, speed and TPS
TPS gets 5 volts from computer and sends back under 1v throttle close, then an increase in voltage as throttle opens.
Above 4.5v from TPS usually indicates WOT

First thing I would check is if throttle cable has stretched, common issue on Rangers.
Key off
Place a weight on the gas pedal to simulate WOT, or use stick against seat
Then check throttle at the engine and see if you can open it farther, if so then do "Throttle cable mod", google it, simple easy fix.

If you want to check TPS then get a volt meter and sewing pin
Key on - engine off
Use sewing pin to pierce center wire on TPS
Volt meter set for DC Volts
Ground meter and test voltage on center wire, .69-.99 should be seen, under 1volt, with throttle closed.
Slowly open throttle manually and watch voltage, should slowly climb up, no jumping or dropping of voltage.
At WOT it should be above 4.5volts

Last edited:

Ford123456

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I think I understood the problem hntr45 refered to, my Ranger does it as well. Have been wondering if there was a simple relay issue.
RonD your responce was to the point for any voltage and device tests i may need to do to check if this issue is caused by WOT relay.
Thanks to you both.

Ford123456

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
So I'm not exactly sure if my issue is the WOT relay or TPS because I don't really know how the WOT relay is supposed to work...

Anyways, I have a 97 ford ranger 2.3. With the AC on, it is to my knowledge that the WOT relay will open when you give the truck a certain amount of throttle for climbing hills, passing, etc. The issue I am having is that I will floor it with the AC on and the compressor continues to cycle. I've even had it where I was going downhill and it wouldn't cycle, but when I would start to go back up the hill, the compressor would kick in like it's reading in reverse... Seems to me like it would be WOT relay because I do have an issue where the AC clutch will engage with the heat on, not on defrost... but I also think it could be the TPS since it has to read throttle position..

Any suggestions?
curious if you found the solution to your upside-down A/C clutch operation..

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals