• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Would you sell your old ranger if you had to rebuild your engine?

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
the day after I bought mine, someone else had one locally, and for $80, and they were throwing in a engine stand too. Damn. I thought about buying it and re-listing the one I just bought for $200 and doubling my money...., but it sold pretty quickly

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
As was mentioned several times, payments. I like to keep one going long as possible. I've already priced a rebuilt 4.0 online, was about $2000 (plus shipping). I've just bought a rebuilt transmission for 1100 (shipped). It's a good solid truck with 4x4, something I need living out on the farm, so I don't see these upgrades being a problem, long as the rebuilds hold up. I opt to keep the cores just in case

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
Why would I ever give up on my 1987 Supercab?

If the engine fails I have spares, I have a spare FRAME (Yep, I actually have a loose Supercab frame)

I need someone who is a better carpenter than I am to help me put up overhead beams in my carport,
it is past time to switch to my spare Cab (yes, I have one of those too!)

My 1999 Supercab is gone, between the frame rust and the MASSIVE cab floor rust it simply wasn't worth fixing, so I sold it to a friend to use as an Organ Donor for his 1999 Supercab that had a dying trans a sick 4,0 and a hopelessly SCREWED wiring harness.

I've got a 1995 Supercab sitting in the yard that needs ALL the brake hard lines replaced.

and I have a 1993 supercab that is in mid-swap to a 4.0

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
@AllanD
PM me if you want online help with carpentry. I do mainly exterior renovations but am familiar with pretty much all aspects.
I need someone who is a better carpenter than I am to help me put up overhead beams in my carport,

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
Well, it's not like a shipyard overhead traveling beam I only need it to lift beds and the occasional cab and the actual lifting can be done with 2" Ratchet straps.

So, according to Audel's formulas Two doubled 2x6" would be adequate and Doubled 2x8" would be overkill

1990RangerinSK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Well, it's not like a shipyard overhead traveling beam I only need it to lift beds and the occasional cab and the actual lifting can be done with 2" Ratchet straps.

So, according to Audel's formulas Two doubled 2x6" would be adequate and Doubled 2x8" would be overkill
So.... use four 2x12s. Or a steel I beam (the ones used for holding up a house).

need info

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
I have to have my engine replaced. I can not find someone to rebuild it so, I have to go with a re manufactured engine. I am ready to retire and I could never afford a new truck, so I believe keeping an old one running is cost effective, no matter what age the owner is, unless you make a good living and can afford it.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Allan, it depends a lot on what length (8 foot, 10,12 foot, or what) are you talking about, as well as what will your carport support(if that's what you plan to use for support). If you have to add the supports you'll also need to support them from falling over in any direction, as well as attach the beam in a way that it won't budge, or tilt.
No it isn't rocket science, but even for a 4.0, you'll want to know it's secure. A well secured treated 8 foot 4x4 post should hold that engine up, and two 10 foot treated 2x8 bolted in 4 places ( 9/16 bolts with 2 inch washers on each end ) as long as it is Well Secured from tilting in any direction. I cannot over stress well secured

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
Allan, it depends a lot on what length (8 foot, 10,12 foot, or what) are you talking about, as well as what will your carport support(if that's what you plan to use for support). If you have to add the supports you'll also need to support them from falling over in any direction, as well as attach the beam in a way that it won't budge, or tilt.
No it isn't rocket science, but even for a 4.0, you'll want to know it's secure. A well secured treated 8 foot 4x4 post should hold that engine up, and two 10 foot treated 2x8 bolted in 4 places ( 9/16 bolts with 2 inch washers on each end ) as long as it is Well Secured from tilting in any direction. I cannot over stress well secured
I'm not lifting an engine! I need to lift a CAB, specifically a supercab

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals