• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

your truck camping

ab_slack

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
First, I have to say some very cool rigs.

Second I know my eyes are in bad shape after the doc put stuff in them earlier cause I thought the topic said "truck complaining" and I entered the topic wondering what the truck was complaining about. lol

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Figured I'd show my BII's setup here:

About the only "truck complaint" I can come up with is not using it as often as I want lol. :icon_twisted: :D

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
What's that cooler thing?

Solar panel! What's the antenna?

I'm totally impressed and always have been. You always have the cleanest, most effective and most organized way of doing anything.

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Can't believe I haven't seen this in the last 4 years. We've traveled in a school bus for the last 8 years--not counting vacations to the Florida condo. I'l have to find pictures, but I've regeared it from 4.88 to 3.73, installed a Kellerman air-ride suspension, it's got a big generator, A/C, solar panel. I built in bunks for the 5 kids and a big leather sofa/bed for my wife an I. There are 2 leather captains chairs and 2 tables and dinettes where the kids ride. I welded receiver hitches on both ends and we haul my motorcycle and 7 bikes on carriers.

A bus has unlimited storage, huge ground clearance and lots of off-road capability, and is made from commercial vehicle parts, not retail parts. There are drawbacks, but I'm not going to tell you what they are.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
What's that cooler thing?

Solar panel! What's the antenna?

I'm totally impressed and always have been. You always have the cleanest, most effective and most organized way of doing anything.
Edgestar FP430 12-volt refrigerator/freezer (yes, a fridge/freezer, not one of those power-guzzling solid-state cooler thingies that barely work, it uses R-134a freon and a compressor).

The "antenna" is a lamp mast (three 6-foot sections that clamp together which I can carry on the roof rack) with a bracket that clamps onto anything from a rockslider to many wooden picnic tables. The lights (when pic was taken) are 10W LED MR-16 lamps I got at Home Depot, which I put spring clamps on to attach them to the mast or to anything else (I have some 4W LEDs also if needs don't dictate sports-stadium-like lighting). Now that you mention it though, I wonder what radio antennas I could put to use on that mast.... :icon_twisted: :icon_idea:

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I was curious because I just bought a pair of Engel fridge/freezers. They have swing-motor compressors that don't need a capacitor to start, so they will run at least somewhat on any amount of electricity. I'm guessing yours has a similar thing.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
It has a Danfoss-type compressor (it's a variable-speed rotary type, pretty much has become the standard in every unit but the Engel now). It's draw is about 1.8 amps on average (3.5amps or so when running, 0.05 amps when idle).
By far the best gear purchase I've made yet, no more waterlogged meat and bloody icewater and having to chase down ice every few days, giving me the ability to stay at some remote place for 2 weeks or more if i wanted. :cool:

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
That's about the same power consumption per unit--I think mine say 2.8 amps, but they are 40L each.

I bought the ones that are top-loading, permanent mount and hang into position. I cut out the counter under which my old refer lived and died after 6 years in a school bus. It's been a royal cock getting these in there--a cabinetry challenge with no instructions. They are supposed to be rugged for offroad use, plus I installed air ride this year, so hopefully they will last--and hopefully my 125W solar panel will do a lot of the work powering them when running the gen is inconvenient.

We're doing a 2-week, 5,000 mile trip in a couple weeks and I've been working my cheeks off on this bus. I'll never get it the way I wish it was, but I'm trying to get the must-haves done.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Engels are good units. You shouldn't have any issues with them.

How about a pic of your bus and it's setup for the thread? :)

scarface

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
forgot i had this pic

Attachments

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Engels are good units. You shouldn't have any issues with them.

How about a pic of your bus and it's setup for the thread? :)
Yeah, I'll do that. Been finishing a boat this week but now I have time to get this going. I set the refer units up and we used this this last Friday. We have had a big Friday gathering every weekend for almost the last 20 years--it's a lot bigger now with around 30 people between family and friends. The bus was in the past, the beer cooler, but since the old compressor fridges died of violence last year, it's been sketchy. This week I used the Engles with a 6amp Mina Kota charger and the charger was able to keep both units going and the battery fully charged with ease, even with the roof air off and the 80+ temp outside. It's looking like it's going to work out. These Engles were cold immediately after I hooked power to them. I would get the cooler version or regular refer version, though. I got drop-ins and it's a lot of carpentry to install them. The lids are meant to be attached to your door and it has to be just right. And there are other issues. But these are the things that fit the space we have best. They perform very well.

Hagan

08/2013 OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
This is my setup. Very plain and simple. Sometimes I just sleep in the back of the truck. I upgraded my tent to a much bigger one. This is at a lake next to a road.

mnthomp

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Nothing fancy here, just my stock '92 (with a '99 motor and wheels) 2wd XLT with a second hand topper. The tent is a Go Lite 3-person (two comfortably) that sets up in about five minutes and packs down smaller than my sleeping bag. Not much compared to some of the rigs on here, but it's fun and gets the job done. Despite the Colorado plates, that picture was from last weekend in West Virginia.

Attachments

Last edited:

bftank

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4l
Transmission
Automatic
our set up. need a bigger tent. ive thinned out the camping supplies to fit a smaller box and made a tote rack to lock them in place in the explorer.

also have a 1988 grandby pop up slide. working on getting that to fit in the new truck. here is a pick of it in the old truck. this set up worked awesome. the truck had a liftgate that made a perfect platform to climb in on or pee off of. lol. miss that truck.

Attachments

iamsamrogers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
here's my setup, Tepui rooftop tent with a custom rack.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals