• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3 misses will not rev up

tip37807

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
hi everyone bear with me im new at this, have a 94 ranger that ate timing belt cranksensor and crank hub. replaced all pieces ,engine ran great for about a month, parked it for a couple days started it up, engine ran rough and will mot rev up. now when i replaced the crank sensor i got two that was bad and it would not start , i have not cam sensor so that is out of the way, once i got together it ran perfect for the month stated. now I've replaced the crank sensor again , still it misses and will mot rev up. now here it what i have done, list is as follows compressions is 140 ,no egr ( never had one) no cam sensor , replaced tps sensor replaced mass air flow sensor, coil and wired ,plugs , even ran engine on scaner, all shows to be working even o2 sensor, i have even done ohms test on wiring harness from sensors to the computer all good and tried another computer i know to be good. also checked fuel pressure its 40 running and 44 regulator unplugged. even checked grounds, does anybody have any clue what might be wrong, please chime in I'm at a loss, thanks have a great day

tomw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
lima bean
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
vertical and above ground
Difficult to determine the actual problem as written. Please use the return key at the end of a thought if you can't remember the period.

That said, have you checked the volume the fuel pump delivers? If the filter is plugged, you can get normal pressure, BUT, you may not get enough fuel to run over idle speed. The engine would stumble and threaten to stall if the fuel flow was restricted.
Please state in one sentence what the engine is doing now. Thanks
tom

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Yea that was a tough one to follow. I agree though, definitely sounds like a fuel delivery issue. Fuel filter would be the first place to start.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
Hi everyone, bear with me as I'm new at this. I have a 94 ranger that ate its timing belt, crank sensor, and crank hub. I've replaced all the pieces, and the engine ran great for about a month. When I parked it for a couple days and started it up, the engine ran rough and wouldn't rev up. When I replaced the crank sensor, I got two that were bad and it would not start.

(Not sure about this next bit): i have not cam sensor so that is out of the way,

Once I got it together, it ran perfect for the month stated. Now I've replaced the crank sensor again, and it still misses and will not rev up. Here is what I've done:
Compressions is 140
No EGR (never had one)
No cam sensor
Replaced TPS sensor
Replaced mass air flow sensor
Replaced plugs, coil, and wires
Ran engine on scanner, all shows to be working (even o2 sensor)

I have even done an ohms test on the wiring harness from sensors to the computer and all is good. I tried another computer that I know to be good. I've also checked fuel pressure - it's 40 running and 44 with the regulator unplugged. I've even checked grounds.

Does anybody have any clue what might be wrong? Please chime in, I'm at a loss. Thanks, and have a great day.
OP - Consider how much easier that is to read than your original post.

Last edited:

tip37807

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
im sorry foe the format , making post like this all new to me will try to do better, thanks for the information, have great day to all

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
If it ran great for a month and then started misfiring I would also suspect the gasoline you got the last time you filled up.

All gasoline has water in it, but just a little, "bad gas" is when it has too much water in it.

Water and gasoline can't mix, and water is heavier than gasoline so it will settle to the bottom of the gas tank when truck is parked.
Fuel pump picks up from the bottom of the tank...................so gets mostly water and engine runs poorly.

Ethanol does mix with water, and can help get rid of it since the ethanol can be burned in the engine while attached to some water.
You can buy HEET or Octane Boost, which is ethanol in a can, pour it into the gas tank if you think is possible you have some "bad gas" in there.

You can also pump some gasoline out of the tank and put it in a clear glass container and let it sit for a few hours, the water will settle at the bottom of the container, so you can see how much water is in your tank

tip37807

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
the truck ran great for about 30 days , parked it on Saturday night then Tuesday evening is when all the trouble began.The fuel pump has been in it for 11 months, its a Delphi brand, I know Delphi makes real good diesel pumps.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals