• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Used vs Rebuilt

Sdude2008

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0 Flex
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31x10.5x15
I need a motor in my 03. It has a 3.0 flex that died. I have heard some say a used motor is a better choice than rebuilt and vice versa. Can I get some input on this question. I've been looking around for a couple months now and most of the used motors I see are 80-90k. I understand I have no way of knowing how these motors were driven so I get that. But would I be making a mistake to have mine rebuilt? I just need more info on what to do. Can someone suggest a good place to get a rebuild in So California? I'm about an hour North of LA. Thanks for all suggestions.

locovaca

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well, before anyone can make a good guess, how did yours "die"?

Sdude2008

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0 Flex
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31x10.5x15
It's just dead and needs another motor. The question is used or rebuilt.

cody93

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
motors just dont die, they either, blow up, loose compression or have a major part fail(timing chain, oil pump, etc) or they sieze up solid.. if your truck is not running, it could be something electrical/fuel related.. It realy all depends on were you get the motor from, junkyard motors can be a gamble unless you check em over first, but if its in good shape, it would be better than rebuilt, there are some half ass engine rebuilders out there too.. Good sources for used motors are vehicles that have been rear-ended or rolled over, or ones with dead transmissions. on the other hand, a quality rebuilt will give you piece of mind having a "like new" engine.

if you decide to go the JY route, you should check some things over before buying the motor, such as taking a compression test, checking the oil pan for metal shavings, check the oil for "mayonaise" wich means craked head. if it has a distributor, make sure it turns when the motor is turned over, if posible, have them run the motor to see if its got any ticking or knocking or smoke out the exhaust.

good luck

aspevacek

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
It is funny you mention a compression test on a JY motor. In germany JYs sell the motors have a sheet with them with compression print outs and everything you need to know about it. They also put a warrenty on the motors for a year from date of purchase. It was the coolest thing i have ever seen come from a junk yard. Bad part is they do not offer you pull it junk yards.

cody93

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
germans are over-achivers.. junkyards here try to rip you off, they would sell you a 255 ci windsor and say its a 302...

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
rebuild would be a good option if you have the money, has a very good warranty, and is bought locally.

used is fine, but you will want to hear the engine run first and make sure it has a decent warranty. 80-90K is not bad for mileage. I just put an engine with 140K into my car (which is a much more crude engine than what you're dealing with), but knew it didn't have any major issues going in, so I didn't even think twice.

McCormack

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I've never had a bad experience with a salvage yard motor and I can't think of one of my friend's ever having a bad experience either, and that's the way I would go if I needed an engine.

A salvage yard won't stay in business very long if they sell junk motors that break right away, so the vast majority of salvage yards are pretty careful about the used engines they sell, and just about all of them offer some type of warranty.

Sdude2008

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0 Flex
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31x10.5x15
Thanks this is the info I was hoping for. I know motors dont just die but for the purposes of this question it doesn't matter what happened. It just needs to be replaced. I've seen some used motors online that promise carfax reports does anyone have faith it that? I've been looking locally here in Ventura CA and have yet to find a nice rear wreck from which I can yank a motor. Everything seems to be out of state which worries me should anything go wrong... I've found a couple rebuilders around here and the quote is around $2500. I also have a guy in town here who will install a used 91k motor for $2400... I wish I had time to do this all myself but sadly I dont. Can anyone suggest a close to honest rebuilder or yard near Ventura CA? Thanks again for the advise.

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
rebuild would be a good option if you have the money, has a very good warranty, and is bought locally.

used is fine, but you will want to hear the engine run first and make sure it has a decent warranty. 80-90K is not bad for mileage. I just put an engine with 140K into my car (which is a much more crude engine than what you're dealing with), but knew it didn't have any major issues going in, so I didn't even think twice.
Whatever you do, stay away from a remanufactured motor, like those from Adanvce Auto, O Reilly's, NAPA, Carquest and AutoZone. When they are rebuilt from their suppliers, not all cylinders are bored or honed, only the ones that need it. You may have 4 cylinders with a standard bore, and 1 with a 0.040 bore and one with a 0.060 bore. This not only equals to an engine that is not balanced, but also will severely shorten it's life span, usually just outside the warranty period. If you go with a rebuild, make sure you take your engine to a quality engine builder and have them contact you on what they find and what is need to be done before it is done.
SVT

jfcasey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If your motor is dead because of your negligence or lack of mechanical ability, go with a junk yard motor.

If you're motor died because its tired or had a internal problem you did not know about, and you're can take your time and spend the money for the required specialty tools it takes to properly rebuild a motor, then rebuild your motor.

fyre82

Firefighter
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988/2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9/4.0
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
9" on the 2000, 6" on the '88
Tire Size
265/75/16, 31x10.50x15
My credo
The memories of a man in his old age are the deeds of a man in his prime
I bought a reman 2.9 from a vendor in LA about 5 years ago.
It's runs well, not really clean inside but started right up. Only issue
I've had is a bit of smoking recently, most likely valve guides or seals . . .
If I could remember the place, I'd mention it but it's been too long, do a search for engine rebuilders, you should find something. It was about a grand for the engine + shipping and core return. So with that said a JY engine may just be what you need, if they don't require a core tear the old one down and learn about the internals/rebuild.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals