• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Flex fuel swap to non flex fuel

Campbell

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 98 ext cab & a 2000 same as 98 ,same options basiclly the same truck just diff yearsI have a2000 3.0 FF and want to put it into the 98,non FF,No pats on 98 , I have the ecm and engine wiring harness from the 2000 ,no wiring harness for 98,My question is What do i have to do to make this work,or can i just use the engine wiring from the 2000 and computeI know the injs need to be put in ,will the wiring harness plug into the 98,what mods do i needto do,any help will be esspecially helpfull.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to TRS :)

Only difference that matters on flex fuel 3.0l engine is the fuel injectors
You should use the 1998 computer and wiring, so leave it as is

Take 2000 3.0l engine out, put the 1998 3.0l engines lower and upper intake with injectors on the 2000 engine
Put 2000 3.0l in the 1998 vehicle

That will solve injector issue, and 1998 wiring will be plug and play since its the same intake

You will also need to use the 1998 Cam sensor and synchro on the 2000 engine
1998 and earlier were 3 wire Cam sensors
1999 and up were 2 wire
Different types of sensors not interchangeable

2000 computer does have PATS, so if you use that computer in the 1998 you will have to deal with it.

If you want Flex Fuel then you would be best to get 1998 Flex Fuel Computer, you would then need the Fuel sensor from the 2000, by fuel filter
And you would still use 1998 intake but swap injectors only

Flex fuel engines did have different heads but obviously they work fine with gas only, or there would be no "flex", lol
And you can run E-85 using gas only heads with no issues, so not really a big deal either way.
The larger injectors on Flex fuel engines is because air:fuel ratio is different for gasoline and E-85, you need more E-85 injected, so injectors were larger to keep duty cycle in range.
Any fuel injection computer has to "know" the injector size(and fuel pressure) it is operating, i.e. when it opens one injector for 100milliseconds then XX grams of fuel will flow out of that injector.
Computer bases ALL it's Calculations on this, this is called the Fuel Trim
If you use wrong size injectors then computer will set Lean or Rich codes because its Calculations will be off, there is either too much or not enough fuel flowing out during that same 100ms

So you swap injectors to match computer you are using, your 1998 computer used standard gas only injectors

Last edited:

HundeWasser

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Welcome to TRS :)

Only difference that matters on flex fuel 3.0l engine is the fuel injectors
You should use the 1998 computer and wiring, so leave it as is

Take 2000 3.0l engine out, put the 1998 3.0l engines lower and upper intake with injectors on the 2000 engine
Put 2000 3.0l in the 1998 vehicle

That will solve injector issue, and 1998 wiring will be plug and play since its the same intake

You will also need to use the 1998 Cam sensor and synchro on the 2000 engine
1998 and earlier were 3 wire Cam sensors
1999 and up were 2 wire
Different types of sensors not interchangeable

2000 computer does have PATS, so if you use that computer in the 1998 you will have to deal with it.

If you want Flex Fuel then you would be best to get 1998 Flex Fuel Computer, you would then need the Fuel sensor from the 2000, by fuel filter
And you would still use 1998 intake but swap injectors only

Flex fuel engines did have different heads but obviously they work fine with gas only, or there would be no "flex", lol
And you can run E-85 using gas only heads with no issues, so not really a big deal either way.
The larger injectors on Flex fuel engines is because air:fuel ratio is different for gasoline and E-85, you need more E-85 injected, so injectors were larger to keep duty cycle in range.
Any fuel injection computer has to "know" the injector size(and fuel pressure) it is operating, i.e. when it opens one injector for 100milliseconds then XX grams of fuel will flow out of that injector.
Computer bases ALL it's Calculations on this, this is called the Fuel Trim
If you use wrong size injectors then computer will set Lean or Rich codes because its Calculations will be off, there is either too much or not enough fuel flowing out during that same 100ms

So you swap injectors to match computer you are using, your 1998 computer used standard gas only injectors
okay i know this a older thread but i just came across this im having the same thing as this guy but reverse i need a motor for my 99 but my 99 is flex fuel and i found a motor out from a 2000 but we are unsure if the motor is flex fuel how would that work? would we have to get into the motor at all?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The 3.0l engine itself won't matter(from Ranger or B3000), just the intake and injectors are different

HundeWasser

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
The 3.0l engine itself won't matter(from Ranger or B3000), just the intake and injectors are different
so if it is flex fuel i dont have to change anything right? and if it isnt then i take the intake and injectors from my 99 and put them on the 2000 motor right?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
You are changing years, most of the computer wiring is on the intake's of any engines
So you swap intakes over for the wiring match ups, for any engine swaps if they are different years
Or you can go thru each wiring connector and sensor to make sure they all match up
But you know the 1999 intakes will match up to 1999 wiring harness, so.......................

In the case of Gas Only and Flex Fuel, you need to match Injector size to the Computer, the 1999/2000 Gas Only Computers are programmed for smaller injectors, Flex Fuel computers are programmed for larger injectors

So two reasons to swap intakes over

If the 1999 is Flex Fuel then its intakes will have Flex Fuel injectors that the 1999 Computer needs, so if you swap them over then what the 2000 engine has doesn't matter, could have been Gas Only or Flex Fuel

In 2001 and up Ford Rangers Ford reprogrammed the Computer's for the 3.0l, so Gas Only and Flex Fuel used the same size injectors
And they also dropped the Flex Fuel's Fuel Type Sensor by the fuel filter, the $650 sensor, lol

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Intake manifolds are no different between flex/ regular gas. The only hardware differences (assuming year and vehicle are the same) are the fuel injectors.

Droz23

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
okay i know this a older thread but i just came across this im having the same thing as this guy but reverse i need a motor for my 99 but my 99 is flex fuel and i found a motor out from a 2000 but we are unsure if the motor is flex fuel how would that work? would we have to get into the motor at all?
Read this to late Bro. I just donated My 99 Flex Ranger 3 weeks back for a 2022 Ranger Tremor. 211k, ran fine. Bullet proof. get 5+ HP on E85. I only know this bc the old AC units would rob 5 and you can really tell on a 3.0L. Tank of E85 brought it back to normal or a little better.

Rozann

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
how can I tell what kind of engine I have? cant find any numbers on it anywhere. i dont think my truck will ever run right until we know what kind of engine we put in it. and what about the pcm do I need a new one? this is so frustrating its driveable but gets like 5 mpg now

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
how can I tell what kind of engine I have? cant find any numbers on it anywhere. i dont think my truck will ever run right until we know what kind of engine we put in it. and what about the pcm do I need a new one? this is so frustrating its driveable but gets like 5 mpg now
The 3.0l Vulcan engine had a unique cooling system set up at the top front of the engine and very easy to see

Just above the water pump
Two elbows one with a sensor on it

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals