The Ranger Station Forums

The Ranger Station Forums (https://www.therangerstation.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Tailgate (https://www.therangerstation.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Race car drivers (https://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=178374)

RonD 09-23-2018 12:16 AM

Race car drivers

SPORT
an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment

There is no doubt that driving a race car requires physical exertion and skill.
An a driver is an athlete except its not a "sport" so he can't really be an athlete.
Its a skilled profession.

Soccer and football are "sports", while there is a ball the ATHLETES move the ball.
If the race car drivers were PUSHING their cars around the track it would be a "sport", or doing a Fred Flintstone with no floor boards, lol, it would be a Sport, and they could then be athletes
A skilled professional drives the car, engine on :)

If a race car driver entered into a weight lifting event or a 100 yard dash, they would be athletes in those Sport events.
Behind the wheel they are skilled professionals

Not sure why drivers would even want to be considered athletes, maybe some kind of validation that they have to work hard.
They do have to, but they are not competing in an athletic event, they do not win or lose based solely on their body condition at that moment in time.
They win based on professional skill and the cars condition at that time, that can include being in tip top physical shape, but still doesn't make them an athlete in this type of completion.

I raced motorcycles in dessert races and motocross years ago, and that was one heck of a work out, you really needed to be in good shape and mentally focused, but I never consider it an athletic event, it was racing, fun, fun, fun, racing, but not a sport, a completion for sure.

Rant almost over

Just had a couple visiting from Europe last week, he was a formula one driver before he retired.
Well we got to talking............................lol.
He didn't like my point of view.

Athlete, even in its broadest terms, can't encompass someone who is in good shape and works hard at doing something
Dig diggers are athletes?
They are of course, the same way race car drivers are, so not to me they are not

I think cross country skiing is a sport with athletes, downhill skiing, no, not so much.
Ice hockey is a sport with athletes, even though they are on skates, it a human powered sport.
I guess that's what it comes down to for me, human powered
Baseball, basketball, football, soccer, and even golf in some measure

adsm08 09-23-2018 07:39 AM

If race car drivers pushed their cars around the tracks it would be a fair bit less entertaining.

rusty ol ranger 09-23-2018 07:57 AM

I dont think its *totally* fair to say they arnt atheletes.

It would take a helluva lot of endurance to sit there for hours and drive in circles/laps. Maybe not in an F1 car, but nascar drivers also have tremendous heat to deal with, if you arnt physically up to snuff and lose focus during the race then bad things happen.

Not to mention, alot of racing comes down to the driver, since alot of the large racing series nowadays are so regulated. So, even if you are the most skilled driver on earth, if you lose focus you may not be DRIVING like the most skilled on earth, then get passed up by some guy with less skill who isnt feeling the physical effects of a race.

Would i say they are as atheletic as say, a football player, pro wrestler or basketball player? Nah not by a long shot. But are they athletic in their own way? You bet your ass.

RonD 09-23-2018 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adsm08 (Post 1637825)
If race car drivers pushed their cars around the tracks it would be a fair bit less entertaining.

But it would be a Sport at that time, IMO, if they did :)

Athletes compete in Sporting events
Racing cars, or motorcycles, is a competition but not a Sport

It comes down to how you define what is a Sporting event

Sailboat racing, power boat racing?

Horse Racing is more about the horse's condition than the jockeys, but jockeys need to be in top physical and mental shape to compete, but they are not Athletes

rusty ol ranger 09-23-2018 12:41 PM

When my buddy broke his leg i ran his dirt track car in a couple races. That was very physically taxing. I couldnt imagine doing it big leauge in the shape i was in at the time.

That being said, i guess if you go off strict definition, then no its not a sport and their not althetes. But, in reality, they are. If that makes sense.

RonD 09-23-2018 01:17 PM

Their "job" or "hobby" is physically taxing, but its not an "athletic sport"

If I was still racing motorcycles I would find it a bit insulting to be called an athlete.
Outside of very very rare occurrences Athletes don't DIE while competing in their chosen Sport
Same can not be said for car racing, hose racing or even downhill skiing
Competitors in these events "know" that possibility exists yet they still compete, that's an extra level of competitiveness that's not required in an Athlete

JoshT 09-23-2018 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RonD (Post 1637841)
It comes down to how you define what is a Sporting event

Okay, but you defined it in your first post:

Quote:

Originally Posted by RonD (Post 1637818)
SPORT
an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment

While we're at it, lets give the definition of Athlete:

Quote:

ATHLETE
a person who is proficient in sports and other forms of physical exercise.
Racing is an activity in which both an individual and a team compete against others for entertainment. Racing is an activity involving the skill of an entire team both on and off track. Racing is an activity involving physical exertion, you said it yourself when you mentioned your motorcycle racing background above. By definition Racing is a sport.

If by definition racing is a sport, then those proficient and participating in racing are Athletes. That doesn't just apply to the one person sitting in the car, it's applies to the entire team that uses their skill to build and maintain that car. It applies to the entire pit crew that has to stay in good physical condition to do their job.

RonD 09-23-2018 08:36 PM

Yes, that was my guest's take on things, we looked up all the definitions, lol.

Doesn't fly, you can focus on the physical exertion in any activity where there is competition with others, or teams, and call it a Sport that would be your choice.

Mine is that to be a Sport the physical exertion needs to be the main point of the competition, not just part of it.
Running, jumping, throwing, catching, lifting, ect...... human power and skill is the point of a Sport
"activity involving physical exertion and skill" it doesn't exclude cars or motorcycles as a prop, but I do.

Its a silly argument but I see no way to call non-human powered vehicles in a race a Sport, so no Athletes
Bicycling is a Sport, they can be Athletes, if they want :)

There is a Sport and there is a Competition
If the main point is the physical skill then it is a Sport
If the main point is not physical skill then its a Competition

main point of a car race is the car, the driver can be in perfect physical shape and skill, and if the car breaks then he is done, out of the Competition
If the drivers pulls a muscle or suffers an injury he might still win the race or at least finish in a high place

if an Athlete pulls a muscle or suffers a physical injury then he is usually done, out of the Sport event that day

adsm08 09-23-2018 09:07 PM

Golf is not a sport.

Golf is four hours of televised sky.

ericbphoto 09-23-2018 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adsm08 (Post 1637892)

Golf is four hours of televised sky.

Lol
LMAO

And totally agree.

This message composed solely of recycled electrons. Go green!