• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Beating the dead horse... Tire size on a 99 4x4

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I know tire size has been discussed numerous times but I haven't seen the answers I'm looking for. Maybe because nobody asked, or maybe because nobody gave a straight answer. Either way I'm going to ask again and see what I get.

I'm in need of tires on my 99 Ranger 4WD. The truck is mostly used for hunting and when I need a truck bed, otherwise I have a small car I drive daily. Most of the off roading it sees is at the hunting club, which actually has pretty decent and fairly level roads, it's just got a lot of hills. There's not much suspension flexing, and about the only time 4wd is needed is after it rains and the roads are muddy, between the red mud and kaolin it get's pretty slick.

As mentioned above it is 4WD, it has 4.10 gears, and it has been leveled (within half inch) with a torsion crank. It is also running 15x8 AR Outlaw II style wheels with 3.75" back spacing. Currently it is wearing a set of worn out 31x10.5R15 tires that currently have about a 29.5" diameter, and I have about a 6" gap between the tires and the fender. I want to install a larger tire to fill up the gap, cause the 31s looked too small on the truck from the time they were new and that was before it was leveled. I like a tire that fills out the wheel well pretty well. Since I don't need a lot of flex room, I have room to make it look good. Based on Tire diameters I've found on various manufacturers sites I'm pretty sure I want a 33 inch tire, a 32 just isn't going to be enough.

I've heard from many people that a 33x10.5R15 will fit a stock 99 with no problems, but that a 12.5 is too wide and rubs. Well the only 33x10.5s I can find locally are BFG ATs and MTs, and I want to stick with an AT which leaves one option. Now I can find a lot of 33x12.5 ATs for the same price or cheaper, for well known brands. Regardless of which way I go I'm looking at about a thousand for new tires mounted and balanced, so I want them to fit and look good on the truck.

My question is why can't I run a 33x12.5? If it rubs when and where does it rub? Is it when turning, or just when flexing out?

The other question, anyone know other companies that make a 33x10.5R15 in an AT?

Sorry for the long worded post. I'd rather get the info out there first and get feedback, than have to try and explain more later.

cdawall

U.S. Military - Active
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
33X12.50's might rub turning but probably not since you have properly backspaced rims. They will however rub if you flex the hell out it on the fender flares. If you don't have fender flares they might not rub at all.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Thanks for the reply. Yes it has flares, with mud flaps. Soon to be replaced by '03 FX4 Flares without flaps.

As said I'm not going to be flexing much. These two pictures are not of my Hunting Club, but they are representative at least 85% of the roads on it. The majority of it is well maintained logging roads, therese I'd most likely be on a four wheeler anyway.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals