• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

93 Ford Ranger Dana 44 Install

evanesce69

GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
OK, so as the title says, over the weekend I installed full width (non cut and welded) Dana 44 beams into my Ranger.

I intend to document in process in great detail so to share what I have learned so far.

93 Ford Ranger Supercab, 3.0L V6, M5R1, electric BW1354
6" skyjacker suspension lift with extended radius arms
Chevy 64" leaf springs in rear
8.8 out of an '04 SportTrac, Yukon 5.13 R&P, Yukon C clip eliminator kit, Detroit TrueTrac

The front diff is from a 3/4 ton with a Dana 50. It will sport matching 5.13 gears with an Auburn Gear ECTED.
The Dana 50 drop out is a direct bolt in to the D44 beams.

Front ring gear is 9" and rear ring gear is 8.8".

Photos will follow...

Last edited:

evanesce69

GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I'll Add descriptions later, but essentially, I had to move the Skyjacker brackets 1.5" forward to allow the wheels to be centered in the wheel wells. This was necessary because at full lock turn the tires were chewing up the lower fender wells just in front of the doors. Since the beams are 3" wider on either side, they were pulled back ever so slightly due to the arc created... While the radius arms did not change length, the position of the beams did....

When the brackets are moved forward, an extension on the transmission crossmember had to be added. Simply a 1.5" move just like the radius arm brackets.

These are FULL length D44 beams, no cut or rotate performed. WMS to WMS is 63". The factory D44 in a 1/2 ton is 65" WMS to WMS. This is because the beam mounts are 2" wider on the Ranger than on the F150's.

The tie rod ends and drag links are '90 F150. An inch needed to be cut off the right side tie rod end and adjoining drag link. The adjuster sleeve needed an inch cut off either side. There is still plenty of room for the clamps to tighten and ample thread engagement. The left side is unmodified.

The knuckles were reamed from the top to accept the tie rod ends. The reamer is a XKUT 1-1/2" TPF BALL JOINT & TIE ROD TAPER REAMER #6952. Easily found on EBay. Be careful to not over ream or the TRE's will not tighten up... Slow and easy with several trial fits.

I used a 6" drop pitman arm for the steering. I think it was a FA600 from Skyjacker. As you can see in the last photo, the steering linkage is nearly parallel. With the D44 beams, you want the axle beam eye bolts to be 1" higher that the spindle centerline. This sets the proper ride height and make alignment much easier. The alignment bushings are MOOG part #'s K80108.

If your smart, you wont lose the F150 sway bar link mounts like I did. I had to cut down the factory D35 mounts.

It is necessary to add a 1/8" shim betweel the radius arm to beam mounts. The D44 beans are 1/8" thinner where the radius arms mount. I used a set of washers that came from the D35 beams. The bolts (both upper and lower) come with these. If you grabbed them from your D44 TTB donor you are in luck.

I do not have a center dropout because it is in the process of being setup. It is a center chunk from a 3/4 ton D50 TTB. The D50 has a 9" ring gear. I am having 5.13's installed on an Auburn Gear ECTED electric locker.

I still have to mock install the drop out to measure for the passenger side inner axleshaft. This is because the beams mounts are 2" wider that the F150's beam mounting points. This narrows the track by 2" and requires shortening the axleshaft by the same 2" on the passenger side. The driver side remains unchanged. Stubshafts, spindles and brakes are all '90 F150.

Attachments

Last edited:

evanesce69

GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
What you are seeing here is a Dana 50 center chunk, Yukon 5.13 gears on a Auburn Gear ECTED electric locker. The U-joint you see is a 1350 series Spicer.

Word of caution, this diff is from a 90 F250 TTB with 4200# option. The U-joint, a Spicer 5-1350X comes with three sets of retainer clips, measuring 0.049, 0.055 and 0.061 inch thick. It fits several different application. Because of this, the clips are provided to take up the difference in width of the yoke's cross. Also, there is a small plastic shim inside the end cap that may have to be removed. I did not know this at first and when I went to put it together I could not get the second retaining clip to fit in the groove. I disassembled it thinking a needle fell over inside it somehow, but that's when I discovered the shim. I removed all the shims, reinstalled it with the thickest clips... (the cool looking hot pink ones) and everything was perfect.

Lesson learned: If you do this modification, be aware of the shims and the varying thickness of the retaining clips.

Attachments

Last edited:

evanesce69

GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
will add description shortly

Attachments

Last edited:

evanesce69

GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
reserved 4

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Looking forward to seeing more of this build.

May I suggest moving the bottom spring mounts in towards the center of the truck so that your springs aren't at such an extreme angle? Or moving the spring towers out? Dana 44 TTB swaps are fairly common and both options I mentioned have been done before. Your build looks good otherwise, just fix the springs - nothing good will come of leaving them like that.

evanesce69

GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Shran - I've seriously considered moving the spring buckets out an 1.5 - 2 inches... I too don't like the angle much.

One thing that I've discovered is that the calipers hit the lower shock mounts at full lock, which compresses the piston and makes a very spongy two or three pedal pumps.

Gonna look at it more this weekend. Although the vibration in the rear driveshaft is of more concern at the moment. Seems 5.13's 33's and 75 mph is just way too fast for a one piece driveshaft even at 4" diameter and 1310 series U joints.

mavereq

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Why not ditch the coils and go coil overs?

evanesce69

GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Mavereq - I have considered that too... Plus that would solve the clearance issue of the calipers and lower shock mounts. Good idea!!!

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Coilovers (or ORI struts) would be the ultimate fix. And they'd look a lot cleaner than adjusting mounts to correct the spring angle.

Are there adjustable steering stop bolts on your knuckles? Could turn them out a little temporarily to fix the brake issue.

evanesce69

GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
There are, but I have not gotten under there to take a closer look yet.

dirtcowboy

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985,1986(2),19
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
2.9, 4.6, 4.0, 6.8, 5.0x4
Transmission
Automatic
Please post a pic when you get your D50 chunk installed. On my '89 BII there was zero clearance 'tween the D35 chunk and the 6" drop bracket/pass beam assemblage. Much judicious grinding followed.

evanesce69

GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
dirtcowboy - will do my friend!

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
What's the status on this? Have you taken care of the passenger side axle shaft issue, or made any decisions about the coil buckets?

evanesce69

GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Jim- Picking up the D50 chunk tonight after work. Going to bolt it up to the
beam and measure for the right side axle.. Stock D44 is too long and D35 is too short, 4" difference.... I figure I'll split the difference

Besides, bolting the D44 beams onto the Ranger mounts narrows the track by 2 inches... which just so happens to be the center of the two stock right hand inner shafts...

I'll post some photos of the D50 this weekend.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals