• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1989 Ford 4x4 2.9L (Ranger)

Ferrell

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
Got a small question, is the speedometer on the 89 Ford Ranger 4x4 2.9L v6 a electronic one or cable run speedometer? If it's electronic where is the fuse at for it?

DRanger024

Supporting Member
Solid Axle Swap
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
6-7” front maybe 3” rear
Total Drop
Tire Size
33x12.50-15

Ferrell

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
Alright thanks mate.

Ferrell

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
Since i know it's cable now i need to figure out whats wrong with it and how to replace/fix the problem so i know how fast i am going. :\ Still working on the transmission problem as well...and getting nowhere fast. /sigh.

superds

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2" body. 1.5" coil spring spacers/rear block
+1, Cable.

What's the problem with it? It could just be a bad cable itself. That's probably the most common thing to go out on the system.

Ferrell

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
Yeah that is what i am thinking..because it was working a week or so ago and then when i got home with it, next time i went down to check the mailbox it wasn't working. So i am thinking thats the problem, but i seen somewhere else that some dude mentioned gears might be broken on a post somewhere else. But i don't know, how hard is it to replace a cable and how do i do it?

superds

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2" body. 1.5" coil spring spacers/rear block
Did you look at the drive and driven gear for the cable? It's super easy to check, it's near the rear output of the transfer case and has a cable coming out of it. Take it off, check the gear for damage.

Ferrell

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
I'm going to get laughed at for this i am sure...but the transfer case is where the 4x4 axle comes out of the transmission and goes to the front axle right? Shut up people, i am a noob at this.. >_> I'm used to 2wd's and Hondas. -_- But if that is where it's at tomorrow i will go outside and check..since right now the mosquito's will carry me off.

xkotyx

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'm going to get laughed at for this i am sure...but the transfer case is where the 4x4 axle comes out of the transmission and goes to the front axle right? Shut up people, i am a noob at this.. >_> I'm used to 2wd's and Hondas. -_- But if that is where it's at tomorrow i will go outside and check..since right now the mosquito's will carry me off.
yeah the transfer case is the big case that the front and rear driveshafts come from.
and its no problem. we all have to start somewhere. thats something ive noticed about TRS, most people on here dont judge, and are very helpful.

Ferrell

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
yeah the transfer case is the big case that the front and rear driveshafts come from.
and its no problem. we all have to start somewhere. thats something ive noticed about TRS, most people on here dont judge, and are very helpful.
Thanks mate, appreciate the clarification on it. I'm going to look tomorrow when the mosquito aren't so bad outside and i have some proper lightening. Should post a update tomorrow once i look at the gears and drive. I'm hoping no matter what's wrong with it, that i can fix it easy. Because me..without a speedometer, is going to be ticket hell.

Jspafford

Logan Andrew Feb 17, 2012
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevy 3500HD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
6.6L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5"
Tire Size
35"
The speedo cable is right in front of where the rear driveshaft bolts on and is held in with a single bolt.

xkotyx

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks mate, appreciate the clarification on it. I'm going to look tomorrow when the mosquito aren't so bad outside and i have some proper lightening. Should post a update tomorrow once i look at the gears and drive. I'm hoping no matter what's wrong with it, that i can fix it easy. Because me..without a speedometer, is going to be ticket hell.
no problem its not hard to find. its the only CABLE going into the xfer case. the gear itself is about as round as a quarter. hope this helps. let us know if thats the problem.:icon_thumby:

Ferrell

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
Thanks guys, i will have a look tomorrow and post a update on it.

Ferrell

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
Good morning TRS members! From the information i was given lastnight on where to look for the speedometer cable and such, i went out this morning with the work boots and grease clothes dawned on preparing to be a grease monkey. I got under the truck which was easy thanks to the 2-3 lift kit. XD Looked for the cable and such, this is what i found, it was unplugged and well i don't know if it's the right thing or not...but i don't want to start or drive the truck in case it isn't supposed to be plugged in lol. So here are the pictures, let me know.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Well, you are in the right spot. More it supposed to come out though. You didn't do it wrong however. Mine does the same thing, and I'm really not sure why and haven't been able to get the rest out.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals