• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Better foglights for 93-97 foglight valence

cstarbard

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
It do like it be
Hey guys,

My 96 Ranger has the plugs and wiring for fog lights but is missing the valence and the actual fog lights. I've sourced a valence, and I'm looking to put fog lights back in the truck, but I'm wondering what options there are for better than OEM fog light housings.

Happy to custom wire foglight to OEM pigtails- does not need to be direct fit. I just don't like the design of the OEM fog lights and their associated problems; hard to mount and align, lens falling off not sealing, strange little h3 bulbs etc

I'm hoping there is an improved circular light of the same size that will fit in the valence holes that doesn't have these issues, could use a less annoying bulb

Thanks in advance

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Hmmm, I always thought the '93-'97 OEM fog lamps to be quite good actually (they were made by Hella). IIRC, '87-'93 Mustangs had the same lamps too. The only issue I ever saw with them was the sealant coming apart after awhile as you mention. Clear RTV silicone makes a pretty much permanent repair for that.

I've also come across identical replacement lamps aftermarket, they appeared the same as OEM in pictures, just didn't have the Hella logos on the lenses.

What do you find so annoying about H3 bulbs? I don't think there was anything more common in fog lamps than the H3 in trucks of this vintage...

cstarbard

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
It do like it be
Hmmm, I always thought the '93-'97 OEM fog lamps to be quite good actually (they were made by Hella). IIRC, '87-'93 Mustangs had the same lamps too. The only issue I ever saw with them was the sealant coming apart after awhile as you mention. Clear RTV silicone makes a pretty much permanent repair for that.

I've also come across identical replacement lamps aftermarket, they appeared the same as OEM in pictures, just didn't have the Hella logos on the lenses.

What do you find so annoying about H3 bulbs? I don't think there was anything more common in fog lamps than the H3 in trucks of this vintage...
Thanks for the reply you are always so quick to answer my questions!

I'm missing the lights, and my brother's truck came with them all broken and damaged, we got direct fit replacements as I remember and they have just been a constant pain but maybe they are just cheaply made. Lenses leaking, lights constantly stop working, a lot of slop in their mounts. Perhaps one crappy replacement has me unnecessarily grumpy about them. I don't know what brand he used but I don't think they were Hella

Do you happen to know if Hella still makes a direct replacement for our trucks, and if so what the part number is? I'd be willing to give those a shot

Thanks again !!

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Hella hasn't made them for well over a decade or longer (after all, '97 was the last year vehicle I know of to use them, and I'm not aware Hella ever sold them directly as an aftermarket accessory).

I seen decent-looking aftermarket ones on Ebay before, but now I can't find them...

1987-1993 Mustang used the same lights as 1993-1997 Ranger, so maybe trying some search terms based on that will bring something up.

I did find these, but seems a bit spendy for two little lights.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/87-93-Ford-Mustang-pair-of-NEW-OEM-Factory-HELLA-Fog-Lights-New-in-the-Boxes/123238307113

Also, these aftermarket ones (I've no idea of their quality)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Driver-Left-Fog-Light-for-1987-1988-1989-90-91-92-93-FORD-MUSTANG-Priority-Ship/222266236341

94firstranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I hope this question isn't considered a thread hijack - I feel like OP might be interested in it.

My 12V power outlet (cigarette lighter) died when the elbow power connector broke. I disconnected the ash tray "wiring harness" (I guess that's what it's called) from the grey plug in the dash and took it out. I noticed my factory OEM fog lights did not turn on despite the factory switch being illuminated green.

Are the factory fog lights tied into the ash tray wiring? Maybe they use the ground that's on the 12v outlet?

Thanks!

cstarbard

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
It do like it be
I don't know the answer to your question, but I wouldn't be surprised if the fog light circuit was interrupted by that 12v socket somehow. I've found a lot of weird electronic quirks on these trucks, a lot of electronic stuff that you wouldn't think is related is. My truck had a lot of weird wiring issues when I got it, which fixing lead me to realize how much stuff is related. But I'm also not sure what you removed having not played with the cigarette lighter socket ever

I think it saves a lot of time and money and frustration for auto makers to not put dedicated power to every single component that needs it; for example, in an s10 I had once, you could trace the main loom along the firewall and see a power wire leave the loom, go to something (say, the horns for example), go back into the loom, go out to power something else, back in the loom, etc etc. This is why there is sometimes voltage drops at things you wouldn't expect, like the horn or your headlight sockets for example. That truck only got 10.5 v to the headlight socket from the factory and thus the headlights were pretty darn dim

Bgunner

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225/70/R15
My credo
If it's not broken Don't Fix It!
As a suggestion because of what I ran into, Since your brother has a set of factory fog light buckets, unless your truck already has them, use them as a template an make your own to allow LED round lights to be mounted on the factory spots. This will eliminate the H3 bulb, which I hate myself, and will allow for lower power draw when running.

My issue has been finding a good bucket for them to see how they are mounted to get measurements to make my set.

To use the factory wiring you will need a switch at the dash, a relay for under the hood fuse block and a fuse. this will allow you to use the factory wiring and still use LED or the factory H3 bulb. I have already researched this so one step for you is done. Buckets and dash switch are a junkyard/used only part and not for sale new. The switch is able to be converted to a toggle switch so factory switch is not necessary.

Last edited:

cstarbard

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
It do like it be
Thanks again BGunner.

Luckily I have the switch in the dash and all the wiring already in my truck. Some one must have swapped the bumper at some point, so I lack the valence, brackets for lights, and the light buckets.

I can fabricate the brackets at home so I'm really just trying to find the valence and a good set of replacement lights - if you happen to come across or have a valence let me know :icon_thumby:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals