• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

WTF?? 2 CB's and both the same issue... No sound

Josh40601

U.S. Military - Veteran
OTOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1991/2001
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Alright, so i have had 2 different CBs. One is a Cobra Limited Edition Army version. (I don't know the model number) I bought it brand new in March. It worked great for a while, then suddenly, no sound. People can hear me for miles, but i can't hear anyone. I can litterely be parked right next to someone, and hear their voice over the CB. The CB in the Ex is now doing the same thing. Others can hear me just fine, but i have nothing.

I also know little to nothing about tuning, setting these things up, or anything. Just know how to change the channel, turn it on, and turn the volume up and down and push the button. Other than that, oblivious. This may be where my problem started....

I don't know, but i am putting the Military Cobra in the Ex, which has a whip atenna that looks like it scratches the sky, and keeping the old one that was in the truck for a backup.

Any help / guidence would be great. I did find that thread talking about the video that will help you first setup the CB. I am going to follow those instructions tonight when i put the CB in the truck.

Hope you guys can help

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Sounds like the return loop for the speaker in the microphone might be open (broken wire in the plug maybe). Do you have another mic you can try?

Other possibility is the speaker itself went bad... Maybe see if an extension speaker works on it.

disciplerocks

July 2011 OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I had that problem, but opposite. I could hear people, but they couldn't hear me. Turned out to be the antenna not grounded well.

02RangerXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Make sure your mic is screwed in all the way? Some how mine gradually works its way out sometimes...

Josh40601

U.S. Military - Veteran
OTOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1991/2001
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
i have the same issue with both CB's. One is brand new, one is old. It is the same when using the external speaker as using the internal one. No sound on my end. Checked the Coax all the way from the cb to the antenna and there were no problems. Could this be due to settings or wiring? I know both CB's are good, i know both Mics are good. I also know that both antennas are good. So that leaves settings and wiring to blame....

02RangerXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
i have the same issue with both CB's. One is brand new, one is old. It is the same when using the external speaker as using the internal one. No sound on my end. Checked the Coax all the way from the cb to the antenna and there were no problems. Could this be due to settings or wiring? I know both CB's are good, i know both Mics are good. I also know that both antennas are good. So that leaves settings and wiring to blame....
Opened them up and looked at all the connections?

Spott

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
If both CB's are good, and both mics are good, and both antennas are good, then you've got no problems, right?

Obviously something's wrong. Don't assume that the mics are good, until you check them. There are parts of the microphone that do more than just pickup your voice. One thing that the mic controls is turning off the speaker when you hit the PTT button. If that circuit is goofed up, it could easily be causing your problems.

Settings and wiring shouldn't be a problem. Settings won't change on their own, so if it worked last week, and you haven't changed any settings, then the settings won't cause it to stop working this week. Wiring is simple, you have power, ground, and antenna. If one of those 3 isn't working, it has nothing to do with the speaker.

Therefore, there are two likely causes to your speaker problem. Either the mic (or the mic cable) has a problem, or the CB unit itself is broken internally. I'd investigate the mic and mic cable first, if I were you.

Spott

Josh40601

U.S. Military - Veteran
OTOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1991/2001
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
today i used the Old school one that is wired up to plug into the cigarette lighter. i could wiggle the wires around and the speaker would come in and out. I definitely think this one is jacked up.

As for the Cobra, I will go with what you guys say, as i said, i am new to these things, you guys seem to know WTH you're talking about, so i will wire the Cobra into the Ex this week, and check the mic. I will post up what happens this week.

Thanks guys.

I wasn't trying to sound rude, just annoyed these suckers are not working the way i would intend them to.

Most importantly.....

THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP!!!! :yahoo:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals