• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Yet another seat question

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yes I have read the tech article on swapping seats. I have found no Mustangs with seats still in them (big shocker), and Tempo/Excort GTs are very few and far between on the street let alone in yards. Even the blah ones are pretty thin. I have never even seen a Murker and with the pillow headrests I doubt a t-bird would fit.

The Ranger seats I have found are shot, the Explorer ones are the same or badly cracked leather.

I have found Probe seats and they look neater than heck, but somewhere around page 12 I found the seat pivot is made into the seat track... so they are out. I would like something I can adapt on to Ranger seat tracks.

What other cars have people tried? I used to have a '90 Plymouth Laser (same as 90-94 Eclipse/Talon) The seats were pretty narrow and thin as I remember, but comfy and supportive.

85 standard cab so space behind the seat is at a premium.

Laser seats:

Last edited:

tylork92

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
i have seats from a isuzu rodeo/honda passport in mine. wasnt too hard to modify to fit...just took old tracks off and welded ranger tracks on.

nuclassic

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I know multiranger put Crossfire seats in his truck, don't recall how much modding he had to do though

Navyrs

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I used newer leather seats out of a Mazda RX8. It took a little modding but not much. I was able to do it with basic hand tools. Check my thread for pics.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I went back and they had a new '93 Explorer in, decent seats so I nabbed them. FWI, when dealing with a dead vehicle it is easier remove the power seats from the tracks than to remove the tracks vehicle from the floor. I finally tracked down a std cab truck at another yard to source the tracks. Console is out of a differen't '93 Limited.

hddave1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
302 v8
Transmission
Automatic
looks great...what truck did the floor tracks come from..where they 60/40 tracks from another ranger...what mods did you do to bolt the tracks to the explorer seats...

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
looks great...what truck did the floor tracks come from..where they 60/40 tracks from another ranger...what mods did you do to bolt the tracks to the explorer seats...
It was a little 2wd 89-92 Ranger with 60/40 seats. I meant to look at the year but I forgot. I wire wheeled most of the rust off them and hit them with some black spray paint and they bolted right up to the Explorer seats, no tapping different holes or anything. I reused the two bench seat holes and added two more, there were dimples in the floor where they needed to be.

You can't tell at the junkyard with the one window rolled down and the other door plumb taken off, they are sure out of a smokers vehicle. :annoyed:

The Explorer center console is kinda big, not sure if I would do that again though.

Boggin

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Question, how is the center console removed?,, looks good

hddave1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
302 v8
Transmission
Automatic
how is the comfort level..do they move back enough to be comfortable...they really look great.

bilzy7

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
You can't tell at the junkyard with the one window rolled down and the other door plumb taken off, they are sure out of a smokers vehicle.
I hear you, I just quit smoking cigarettes. I make fun of my wife now till she quits too. They don't kid around when they say your mouth smells like an ashtray... It does, just like going to an ashtray and smelling it.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Question, how is the center console removed?,, looks good
There are two snapped on covers on the outside near the pivot for the armrest.
1. Pop those out and remove the two screws on each side.
2. Lift the armrest off.
3. Remove the four screws that secure the cupholder part to the armrest and remove the cupholder.
4. Remove the two screws that hold the concole shell to the front mount.
5. Lift console shell up.
6. Remove the 4 nuts that hold the rear aluminum mount and the two nuts that hold the front plastic mount. Watch for the thick shim/washer under the front mount.

The floor contour of a std cab Ranger is obviously different from an Explorer, I used two hunks of square tubing under the front mount so it would touch something.

how is the comfort level..do they move back enough to be comfortable...they really look great.
They are tolerable for the moment. For the putzing around I have done the creaking fake leather on the back rubbing on my homemade speaker box is annoying. Also, my Grant steering wheel is a little close for comfort how I had it before, tilted all the way up isn't too bad.

I do wish the DS had some tilt adjustment to the seat back.

I just got done with a V8 swap, and it only has open headers at the moment so I haven't really driven it a whole lot. It is basically a completly different truck than the one I have had for 11 years, all my senses are screaming "this is not right!" which kinda goofs with me too.

I hear you, I just quit smoking cigarettes. I make fun of my wife now till she quits too. They don't kid around when they say your mouth smells like an ashtray... It does, just like going to an ashtray and smelling it.
That is one thing I have never tried. I have enough of a problem with my allergies, which do not get along with the smell all that great.

Good deal on quiting, good luck on getting the Mrs. onboard too. :icon_thumby:

Gay... It double posted my reply...
You can go in thru "edit" and delete posts if you like.

Last edited:

Scrambler82

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/EDGE
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4.5" SL
Total Drop
WWWhhhaaattt !?!
Tire Size
33 x 12.50
If all else fails use two Passenger Seats from two Rangers with the 60/40 Bench seats.
2000 era Rangers have tracks that unbolt from the seat pan and low and behold the seat pans on the passenger and the drivers seats are the same.

Two passenger side seats makes one set of bucket seats.

Of course you will need to find two sets of 60/40 Seats in the JY that are in good to great shape or buy some good quality seat covers.

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If all else fails use two Passenger Seats from two Rangers with the 60/40 Bench seats.
2000 era Rangers have tracks that unbolt from the seat pan and low and behold the seat pans on the passenger and the drivers seats are the same.

Two passenger side seats makes one set of bucket seats.

Of course you will need to find two sets of 60/40 Seats in the JY that are in good to great shape or buy some good quality seat covers.
Not much in the yards here much newer than '95... Ranger and BII seats are usually about shot. I would ultimatly love to find a nice pair of Bronco II Eddie Bauer buckets.

Thinking about putting washers between the tracks and seat to tilt it back a little for the moment. I might get a OEM steering wheel, my aftermarket was slightly annoying with the bench and got worse with the buckets.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals