• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Chevy 63 & 64 Inch Leaf Spring Clarifications....

will2045

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Ive got a 2000 ranger 3.0 flex fuel supercab 4x4 and its stock.... Im trying to decide what I want to do with it and I like the ideas here, anyone got a direct suggestion?

spdcrazy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
mostly 86
Make / Model
B2
Engine Size
2.9 bored and cammed
Transmission
Manual
looking around for 63 or 64's and i found these. cheap as hell to.

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/pts/1539976363.html

any thoughts? if a guy wanted a bunch more flex i'm sure a few leafs should be taken out, but thats no big thing..

how is the 63 or 64 measured? is it straight from one eye to the next, or the length of the material along the curve, from eye to eye?

Last edited:

spdcrazy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
mostly 86
Make / Model
B2
Engine Size
2.9 bored and cammed
Transmission
Manual
also. i'm looking for between 4 and 5in of lift. if i used the chevy 4in lift leafs with the belltech 6400 or equivalent :icon_welder: and no block i would be about spot on right?

4+1.5=5.5?

ohh and the guy emailed me back and said they measure 62in eye to eye.. thoughts?

Last edited:

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
when using the 63 spring, 6400 shackle, and inverting your rear hanger, you do not gain any height, but you gain articulation. When you use the 63 and do not invert the hanger or use the 6400 shackle, you do not really gain much articulation, but you gain about 3" IIRC from a factory height 63 spring. So depending you how you set it up will determine how much lift you will gain
SVT

spdcrazy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
mostly 86
Make / Model
B2
Engine Size
2.9 bored and cammed
Transmission
Manual
when using the 63 spring, 6400 shackle, and inverting your rear hanger, you do not gain any height, but you gain articulation. When you use the 63 and do not invert the hanger or use the 6400 shackle, you do not really gain much articulation, but you gain about 3" IIRC from a factory height 63 spring. So depending you how you set it up will determine how much lift you will gain
SVT
ok but the 63 spring i found was for a 4in lift for a chevy. so that should lift me if i use the 6400 shackle and invert my rear hanger, correct?

now another issue i see with my B2 vs. the ranger. is i have a body mount right in front of the spring hanger. therefore i can't relocate the forward spring mounting point without hacking the bed off. thoughts?

PlumCrazy

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
2014 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
ok but the 63 spring i found was for a 4in lift for a chevy. so that should lift me if i use the 6400 shackle and invert my rear hanger, correct?

now another issue i see with my B2 vs. the ranger. is i have a body mount right in front of the spring hanger. therefore i can't relocate the forward spring mounting point without hacking the bed off. thoughts?
I am pretty sure CopyKat has 63" springs on hos BII. I think he had to combine the hanger and body mount.

spdcrazy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
mostly 86
Make / Model
B2
Engine Size
2.9 bored and cammed
Transmission
Manual
I am pretty sure CopyKat has 63" springs on hos BII. I think he had to combine the hanger and body mount.
i'll see if i can dig up some info from him then!!!

wahlstrom1

J-man HD Mech
OTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
He's running durango leafs, not chevy's.

PlumCrazy

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
2014 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4

spdcrazy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
mostly 86
Make / Model
B2
Engine Size
2.9 bored and cammed
Transmission
Manual
i'm looking into making some custom brackets under the frame rail for some chevy springs and a shackle flip.. thoughts?

bcost882

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000, 2011
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L, 1.6L
Transmission
Manual
so does that mean with a 63" leaf, shackle flip and no block you get around 3in. of lift?

PlumCrazy

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
2014 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
so does that mean with a 63" leaf, shackle flip and no block you get around 3in. of lift?
No, 63" springs, extended shackle (not flipped) w/o stock block will get you around 3".

If you did the shackle flip and removed the stock block with 63" springs, it would probably sit lower than stock. In order to flip the shackle and run 63" springs you would have to get the springs re arched or get lift springs.

Andres629

Article Contributor
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985/91
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 screamer
Transmission
Automatic
Well, let's put this into perspective... I did the 63" leaf swap minus the overload, got the leaves re-arched to 12" camber (NOT 12" over stock), shackle flip w/ Belltech 6400's and no block, I went back to stock 4x4 ride height. In essence, I got a 2.5" drop from the flip plus another 2-3" drop from the shackle, minus the 2" of ride height from the stock block... I'm thinking I'll just flip the hanger back over and keep the Belltech's with no block. I'll report back with my findings!

PlumCrazy

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
2014 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Well, let's put this into perspective... I did the 63" leaf swap minus the overload, got the leaves re-arched to 12" camber (NOT 12" over stock), shackle flip w/ Belltech 6400's and no block, I went back to stock 4x4 ride height. In essence, I got a 2.5" drop from the flip plus another 2-3" drop from the shackle, minus the 2" of ride height from the stock block... I'm thinking I'll just flip the hanger back over and keep the Belltech's with no block. I'll report back with my findings!
I am running stock 63" springs w/ overload, 2" extended shackle (NOT flipped) and the stock block. It sits about .5" higher than the front with a 6" lift.

1987rangerman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
what a confusing topic this seems to be. i am just gonna go get some from the junk man stick them in and see what happens

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals